Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Office Manager $90k??
1  2  3  Next

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:17 pm
Why so hard to find? People seem interested and then doesn't pull through once salary requirements are given. Willing to put in 35-40 hours. Is this so unreasonable with a BA? I have the experience but really find 75k low balling the salary (usually no benefits included) .
Thoughts??

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:20 pm
I don't know where you're located, but $90k sounds like a lot for an office manager to earn.

GreenEyes26

Post Tue, Jan 15 2019, 11:21 pm
Maybe in Manhattan for like a huge fancy corporation, but that sounds extraordinarily high for an office manager.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:17 am
75K without benefits is not a lot of take-home pay at all! 90K just sounds like a lot. Why not ask for 75K and benefits, or partial benefits at least?

justforfun87

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:39 am
Nurses don't even make that amount even some lawyers. 90k is insane.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:08 am
You don't even want to work full time!

Maybe if you'd already been there for years, shown you are deeply committed and hard to replace, and willing to work overtime and take responsibility for things being finished on time and done properly - even if that means working 45-50 hrs, then maybe you could ask for 90k. And it would still be pushing it.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:30 am
oliveoil wrote:
You don't even want to work full time!

Maybe if you'd already been there for years, shown you are deeply committed and hard to replace, and willing to work overtime and take responsibility for things being finished on time and done properly - even if that means working 45-50 hrs, then maybe you could ask for 90k. And it would still be pushing it.

Where do you live?? 35-40 hours is definitely full time! Especially considering that after 40 pay must be time and a half

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:31 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Nurses don't even make that amount even some lawyers. 90k is insane.

Than they are definitely being underpaid considering that they are working 12 hr shifts

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:33 am
groisamomma wrote:
75K without benefits is not a lot of take-home pay at all! 90K just sounds like a lot. Why not ask for 75K and benefits, or partial benefits at least?

These places aren't offering paid benefits even upon request. Even if they'd provide that, benefits aren't worth it for that price cut. We have an insurance plan already BH & an IRA for savings.

momsrus

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:05 am
amother wrote:
Where do you live?? 35-40 hours is definitely full time! Especially considering that after 40 pay must be time and a half

You wouldn't get time and a half after 40. That's only for hourly employees.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:25 am
momsrus wrote:
You wouldn't get time and a half after 40. That's only for hourly employees.

The point is that these are full time hours

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:12 am
You want to get payed about 50$/hr. You have a babysitter (aka nothing). What kind of office is this? My understanding of an office manager is that they are very glorified secretaries that basically run the whole place do bookeeping, scheduling, keep stock of supplies, man desk answer phone... Something you get 25$/hr maybe 28$ if you have experience. Maybe I'm thinking of a different job?

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:22 am
A quick google search yielded these results: Office managers make between 45-65k a year. So it looks like you're asking for way more than the norm.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:22 am
If no one is willing to pay you that salary, it is a sign you are not being realistic. Where did you get such a number??

Even 75K seems generous to me. Our office manager is full time and does not earn close to that.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:30 am
amother wrote:
The point is that these are full time hours

"Full-time hours" vary by office. Some offices people work 60 hrs/week and that's normal. Salaried employees generally don't get paid overtime for extra hours. 35 hours is not "full-time".

I don't mean to sound harsh but people who are "willing to work 35 to 40 hours" aren't usually getting top salary in office jobs. It's the "of course I'll work 40 plus hours" people who've already proven themselves in a position for years who get top salary for jobs that generally don't require a specific degree.

That doesn't mean that you don't deserve that amount; maybe you're extraordinarily skilled as an office manager. But you need to prove yourself as a key employee to be able to request such a salary later down the line. There are dozens of competent people who would do office work for far less.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:34 am
OP you say you have a BA. I may not be undherstanding exactly what the job entails but if it is what im thinking, does it really matter that you have a BA? for office manager? Like, if you decide to be a hair dresser, would people pay more because you have a BA?
Can you please explain where you live and what exactly the job entails?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:36 am
Umm, I have a Master's degree and I make less than $50k for full time (37.5 hours a week, no lunch break). I think that you are being unrealistic to ask that for a starting salary at a company that you haven't worked at yet. MAYBE after a few years when you have proven your loyalty and work ethic to them, but even that is pushing it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:57 am
little neshamala wrote:
OP you say you have a BA. I may not be undherstanding exactly what the job entails but if it is what im thinking, does it really matter that you have a BA? for office manager? Like, if you decide to be a hair dresser, would people pay more because you have a BA?
Can you please explain where you live and what exactly the job entails?

Fwiw, the company that I work for gave me a 14% raise when I earned my BA and raised my hours to bring me to full time. This was with a liberal arts degree (that they paid for half of, part of the company policy!) that had nothing to do with my job. Many workplaces put a value on education as it shows goal oriented follow through.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
Why so hard to find? People seem interested and then doesn't pull through once salary requirements are given. Willing to put in 35-40 hours. Is this so unreasonable with a BA? I have the experience but really find 75k low balling the salary (usually no benefits included) .
Thoughts??

“Willing to put in 35-40 hours” you aren’t doing them a favor, that you are willing to barely work full time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:02 am
What do you have that's value added over any other office manager?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics