Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Adding 1 TB of storage to small laptop I like w only 32GB

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:14 am
These are the specs of a Laptop I bought recently and I like, otherwise.

Its not allowing updates because of the small Hard Drive space.

How do I add 1 TB (or at least half that size) of storage to this laptop to make it more user friendly? Otherwise I really like it.

BrandDell
Computer Screen TypeTouch Screen
Computer Type2-in-1
Graphic CardIntegrated Graphics
Hard Drive Size32 GB
Modeli3185-A760GRY-PUS
Operating SystemWindows 10
Optical DriveNo Optical Drive
ProcessorAMD A6
RAM Included4 GB
Resolution DescriptionHD
Screen Size11.6 in.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:08 pm
Any techies have advice for me?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:34 pm
You would need to check the model's specs to be sure, but most small laptops like that have room for only one harddrive, so you would need to remove the existing one (first backing up all data of course) and replace it with a larger one (but you need to check the specs to be sure that can be done). You would then also need to reinstall your operating system and programs and then restore your data backup.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:39 pm
"eMMC storage is mostly found in phones, as well as compact, budget laptops or tablets. The "embedded" part of the name comes from the fact that the storage is usually soldered directly onto the device's motherboard. eMMC storage consists of NAND flash memory — the same stuff you'll find in USB thumb drives, SD cards, and solid-state drives (SSD) — which doesn't require power to retain data." (https://www.windowscentral.com/emmc-vs-ssd)

If it is soldered onto the motherboard, it is not something that you will be able to change.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:41 pm
It might be easier (time and money saving also) to pick up an external hard drive. Sure it's one more thing to carry around... But the advantage it your data becomes portable and accessible from other computers

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:34 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
You would need to check the model's specs to be sure, but most small laptops like that have room for only one harddrive, so you would need to remove the existing one (first backing up all data of course) and replace it with a larger one (but you need to check the specs to be sure that can be done). You would then also need to reinstall your operating system and programs and then restore your data backup.

Thanks but thats way too complicated. I wouldnt open the computer myself, and paying a techie to do that will be very expensive.

singleagain wrote:
It might be easier (time and money saving also) to pick up an external hard drive. Sure it's one more thing to carry around... But the advantage it your data becomes portable and accessible from other computers

Are there very small very lightweight external hard drives?

Does the external hard drive always have to be attached? If yes, the laptop then becomes less portable.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:57 pm
I have a 2 TB drive that fits in my pocket or handbag and connects with a small USB3 cable

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:59 pm
Yes they are small. Maybe a little bit bigger than the average phone. Totally still fits in a purse. And it depends on what you keep on the drive. Personally, I'd put pictures, videos. Huge documents on the external. ... As long as you don't put the operating system or programs on the external. Laptop should work. You just can't access them if it's not plugged in.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:16 pm
singleagain wrote:
Yes they are small. Maybe a little bit bigger than the average phone. Totally still fits in a purse. And it depends on what you keep on the drive. Personally, I'd put pictures, videos. Huge documents on the external. ... As long as you don't put the operating system or programs on the external. Laptop should work. You just can't access them if it's not plugged in.

But whenever the External Hard drive isnt attached, Id still be getting annoying messages saying the laptop cant download updates, because theres no space. Is there something that I can just insert on the side of the computer, in one of the USB ports (very lightweight)?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:15 pm
A computer maven recommended this to suit my needs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Im not getting 1TB with it, but its very portable. I think I can keep it in a USB port all the time.

Any opinions?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:30 pm
amother wrote:
A computer maven recommended this to suit my needs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Im not getting 1TB with it, but its very portable. I think I can keep it in a USB port all the time.

Any opinions?

That drive is a tiny fraction of 1TB. There are some 1TB ones available, but the ones with decent reviews are quite expensive ($250-$300 range). And they won't automatically expand the computer's storage. The user would need to copy all data files to it and then delete them from the system's hard drive to free up space. If she has a lot of applications installed, even that may not be sufficient.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:25 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
That drive is a tiny fraction of 1TB. There are some 1TB ones available, but the ones with decent reviews are quite expensive ($250-$300 range). And they won't automatically expand the computer's storage. The user would need to copy all data files to it and then delete them from the system's hard drive to free up space. If she has a lot of applications installed, even that may not be sufficient.

If I get an external hard drive that wouldnt be permanently attached, wouldnt I still be getting constant messages about "too little space" and cant "update" when the external hard drive isnt attached??

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
If I get an external hard drive that wouldnt be permanently attached, wouldnt I still be getting constant messages about "too little space" and cant "update" when the external hard drive isnt attached??

It depends how much you can move off of our internal hard drive and put on the external. If your internal is full of data (pictures, music, etc.), then moving the data to the external and deleting it from the internal may help. However, if the internal is full mainly of applications, then it won't work even when the external drive is attached. The system will not automatically use the space on the external drive as an additional to the internal drive for things like updates. They way to make it work is to free up enough space on the internal drive by moving data to the external, then it will work even if the external is not connected.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:47 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
It depends how much you can move off of our internal hard drive and put on the external. If your internal is full of data (pictures, music, etc.), then moving the data to the external and deleting it from the internal may help. However, if the internal is full mainly of applications, then it won't work even when the external drive is attached. The system will not automatically use the space on the external drive as an additional to the internal drive for things like updates. They way to make it work is to free up enough space on the internal drive by moving data to the external, then it will work even if the external is not connected.

I have almost nothing on it. I have one App, whatsapp. I guess this laptop is useless.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:50 pm
Yes, the internal drive is almost full with the operating system alone.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:53 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Yes, the internal drive is almost full with the operating system alone.

And theres no relatively inexpensive way to add space?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Luckily I can still return this laptop.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
And theres no relatively inexpensive way to add space?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Luckily I can still return this laptop.

I looked up the model number and there does not seem to be a way to add storage, but you could check with Dell to be certain.

If it can be returned, I would suggest doing so and purchasing instead a better system. If you watch for deals you can get something pretty decent for a good price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics