Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Entrepreneur Getting Certified Kosher
1  2  3  4  Next

Would you buy homemade food from social media account based on word of mouth without asking if/who gives hechsher?
Yes  
 14%  [ 28 ]
No  
 85%  [ 159 ]
Total Votes : 187

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:19 am
Looking into baking and selling home baked goods. My problem is getting certified kosher. We tried a few options and hit a brick wall each time. We don't have a basement kitchen or kitchen with separate entrance. I guess we're looking to rent space in a commercial kitchen that's already certified.
What do other home bakers do? (There are so many out there. Are they just trusted by word of mouth??)
Anybody have any ideas that we can do or know of a kitchen that rents out time slots and can work with us?
Baking in the Five Towns would be preferable, but Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island can work as well.
Thanks so much!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:27 am
I voted yes by mistake but meant to vote no.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Looking into baking and selling home baked goods. My problem is getting certified kosher. We tried a few options and hit a brick wall each time. We don't have a basement kitchen or kitchen with separate entrance. I guess we're looking to rent space in a commercial kitchen that's already certified.
What do other home bakers do? (There are so many out there. Are they just trusted by word of mouth??)
Anybody have any ideas that we can do or know of a kitchen that rents out time slots and can work with us?
Baking in the Five Towns would be preferable, but Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island can work as well.
Thanks so much!

No, I would not purchase foods from any home business that isn't professionally certified and controlled.

Its not just kashrut, although that's certainly important. I don't know that your kids aren't sneezing into the food, or your cat walking across the counter if you cook at home.

Redbird

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:32 pm
This is interesting! I eat food cooked in other peoples houses, so yes! Do all the people voting no do an investigation into peoples kashrus standards before eating someones house?

If you had a whole operation, such as a restaurant, thats different.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:36 pm
I voted no, unless I know the people personally and I'm ok with their kashrus.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:45 pm
Redbird wrote:
This is interesting! I eat food cooked in other peoples houses, so yes! Do all the people voting no do an investigation into peoples kashrus standards before eating someones house?

If I'm eating in your home, I know you. I also know if you have a cat that tends to walk across your counters.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:45 pm
If I know the person personally, I would buy it without a hechsher.

Amother, I know R' David Choai certifies home made items. maybe try contacting him. He's based in Bkln. None of the big hechsherim will certify you ime.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:46 pm
Redbird wrote:

I live in a non homogeneous community and yes I do check before accepting shabbos invites from people I dont know well.

People are very understanding

simcha2

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:53 pm
Redbird wrote:

Someone inviting you into their home doesn't have a financial incentive to cut corners.

I wouldn't eat homemade without a hashgacha. And in NJ it's illegal to sell homemade goods, so I wouldn't participate for that reason too (in NJ).

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:20 pm
Sebastian wrote:
If I know the person personally, I would buy it without a hechsher.

Amother, I know R' David Choai certifies home made items. maybe try contacting him. He's based in Bkln. None of the big hechsherim will certify you ime.

OP here. Thank you. Yes, I see R' Choai's name on a lot of homemade products before they become big and could afford mainstream hechsherim. But when I see his name, I don't buy that product, therefore, I wouldn't use him on min own products.
The poll is referring to these BP/CH/WB/SY young women baking or cooking, showing pictures of orders going out for shabbos, making it look like they have tons of customers (I know - can't believe social media, etc), but they don't have a proper hechsher listed, yet they seem to have enough ppl in their community who spread the word and trust them. Most of you said you wouldn't eat such things, so how do they get their business???
My main question, though, is does anyone know of a commercial kitchen that may rent us some time there (under watch of course)?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:34 pm
If you are on Facebook someone often posts in a foodie group that he rents a kitchen in queens to anyone who wants to cook/bake under hashgacha. I think its one of the local girls schools.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:39 pm
I know someone that makes pastries professionally.
She bakes them at one of the local bakeries.

I know R' Amram Roth gives a hechsher to home baked businesses.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:43 pm
Redbird wrote:

I would also eat food in people's houses, yet I voted no.

The people I'm eating by are usually friends or relatives, who I know. Non an unknown personality on instagram.

levlongnprosper

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:58 pm
No, but more because of food safety issues. I eat in the houses of community members, so if I heard of you by word of mouth FROM those in my personal circle, I'd be less worried about kashrus, BUT I outdent cook with your food in my kitchen, just in case.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If you are on Facebook someone often posts in a foodie group that he rents a kitchen in queens to anyone who wants to cook/bake under hashgacha. I think its one of the local girls schools.

That sounds good! I'm not on Facebook. Would anyone have more info on this? Which school in Queens and contact info?
Thank you!!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:16 pm
cnc wrote:
I know someone that makes pastries professionally.
She bakes them at one of the local bakeries.

I know R' Amram Roth gives a hechsher to home baked businesses.

I'll look into it. Thank you!

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds good! I'm not on Facebook. Would anyone have more info on this? Which school in Queens and contact info?
Thank you!!

Can you PM me I think I found the info but not sure how to post it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much!

My satmar friend in Lakewood has at home. Personally I ran a catering business out of my house but it’s a small town and ppl know me. I also worked under hashgacha for COR and Chabad niagara. I’m in our local vaad hakashrut too

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 6:43 pm
If the person was chassidish, I would eat their food without a certification. But then they wouldn't be on social media. I know more than a couple of of people who sell out of their houses.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
If the person was chassidish, I would eat their food without a certification. But then they wouldn't be on social media. I know more than a couple of of people who sell out of their houses.

There are so many chassidish people on social media. And I'm not sure how being chassidish makes you more trustworthy.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics