Home

Personal Injury Case, whats the range for my case?
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:43 pm
I fell on a Brooklyn sidewalk (private property) with a huge crack. It led to needing wrist surgery. The injury needed a metal plate to be inserted and led to issues and a lot of therapy. Now, one year later, it hasnt healed at all and left me with swollen fingers and an almost immobile wrist. I have way less effectiveness in this hand and fingers. For example I cant do any exercise or Yoga poses requiring bending of the wrist. I have swollen disfigured fingers, a year later.

Im in my upper 50s and I have never sued anyone before, so my reputation is impeccable.

Whats the range of monetary compensation for my case, based on similar cases in Brooklyn?
Back to top

amother




Mustard


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
I fell on a Brooklyn sidewalk (private property) with a huge crack. It led to needing wrist surgery. The injury needed a metal plate to be inserted and led to issues and a lot of therapy. Now, one year it hasnt healed at all and left me with swollen fingers and an almost immobile wrist. I have way less effectiveness in this hand and fingers. For example I cant do any exercise or Yoga poses requiring bending of the wrist. I have swollen disfigured fingers, a year later.

Im in my upper 50s and I have never sued anyone before, so my reputation is impeccable.

Whats the range of monetary compensation for my case, based on similar cases in Brooklyn?


Your legal consultation will be free. Talk to a few lawyers.
Back to top

amother




Violet


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:57 pm
Talk to a lawyer.

A relative of mine fell on a the sidewalk. There was a huge crack. He broke his foot. After being in a cast for a while he bh healed. I do recall the homeowners insurance paying the medical bills. I was to young to know if there was a settlement.
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 12:58 pm
amother wrote:
Your legal consultation will be free. Talk to a few lawyers.


I chose a lawyer long ago, recommended by a friend. But lawyer doesnt give figures. Im wondering what theyll offer me after consultation with the other side, which I hear they do rather than go to court, and if it will be a fair offer, based on what others have gotten.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:22 pm
Please PM me for a referral to an excellent top tier attorney. High profile cases, staff to help with things along the way, cases like 5 million for losing two teeth.
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:23 pm
Any personal injury lawyers here or people who work for personal injury lawyers, who would have an idea of the range of compensation?
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:25 pm
nchr wrote:
Please PM me for a referral to an excellent top tier attorney. High profile cases, staff to help with things along the way, cases like 5 million for losing two teeth.


I chose a lawyer long ago. Its too late to switch.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:26 pm
From my experience working with an attorney who is a personal injury attor eye (but I work with him in a different capacity) .The range depends on your attorney and how you've cooperated with the case and how much you've lost long term. If you're a basketball player who can no longer play it's a million times different than someone at home. Also, swelling a year later is pretty normal so you need more details from your doctor. There is also an assumption of risk in public and you need to decide what's appropriate. Your case could be zero it could be way upwards of that.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
I chose a lawyer long ago. Its too late to switch.


That's not true and you could also talk to another lawyer to get input in case you decide to switch but if you're happy stay and just wait.
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:29 pm
nchr wrote:
Also, swelling a year later is pretty normal so you need more details from your doctor. There .


Not what the best OT in Brooklyn says. I had and still have severe edema on this hand and a totally normal other hand.
Back to top

nchr




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
Not what the best OT in Brooklyn says. I had and still have severe edema on this hand and a totally normal other hand.


So I've had grade three sprains which were considerably swollen for almost 2 years after the injury and that was considered normal. Like I said, it depends on your injury, what happened to you. That's why no one here can give you a ballpark because no one knows what part of your radius or ulnar were injured or where your pins are etc. Also, you'll need input from specialists in a field and not an OT. Your attorney should be able to guide you as to which doctors you should be seeing and the names of the reports and testing that should be done. I believe you when you say it's a problem, but you need to be able to prove that enough that a judge or whomever your suing will agree to a settlement. A competent personal injury attorney has a team who will direct you and also find ways to make it easier for you to attend apts. I'm not talking about lying but legitimately showing the facts about your injury the appropriate way.
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:38 pm
A very similar thing happened to my grandmother but with her knee. It's not too hard to get them to pay for medical bills but they didnt give her anything for pain and suffering. Accidents happen...and there are messed up roads and sidewalks all over
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
A very similar thing happened to my grandmother but with her knee. It's not too hard to get them to pay for medical bills but they didnt give her anything for pain and suffering. Accidents happen...and there are messed up roads and sidewalks all over


The fact that a lawyer took my case means it has merit. Law firms dont waste their time if they dont see it as a viable case. They reject cases all the time.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:02 pm
OP, it really depends on how they settle with the attorneys from the other side. They also take into account expenses you had because of this, any permanent loss you've had,, usually the insurance that is being sued has a doctor that will examine you to see if you have permanent damage. I don't think any two cases are alike even if it's a crack in the side walk . Some attorneys fight harder.
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 2:12 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
OP, it really depends on how they settle with the attorneys from the other side. They also take into account expenses you had because of this, any permanent loss you've had,, usually the insurance that is being sued has a doctor that will examine you to see if you have permanent damage. I don't think any two cases are alike even if it's a crack in the side walk . Some attorneys fight harder.


Yes but attorneys themselves are familiar with the range of reimbursement, they just wont share it w the claimant just in case they end up with lower.
Back to top

amother




Chartreuse


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
The fact that a lawyer took my case means it has merit. Law firms dont waste their time if they dont see it as a viable case. They reject cases all the time.


This is not necessarily true. It also only has merit if you cooperate and present it properly, which means going to the right doctors, seeing the right experts, etc.
Back to top

amother




Sienna


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 3:34 pm
Here's my story : dh was rear ended . Guy had geico. My husb shoulder took the brunt of the injury needing PT for 3 years and then a labral tear repair surgery and more PT. He has limited motion in that shoulder . He made 130k in the case , lawyer took 1/3.
Case was open for 5 years before we got paid
Back to top

amother




Olive


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
Here's my story : dh was rear ended . Guy had geico. My husb shoulder took the brunt of the injury needing PT for 3 years and then a labral tear repair surgery and more PT. He has limited motion in that shoulder . He made 130k in the case , lawyer took 1/3.
Case was open for 5 years before we got paid


Youre lucky you got that.

A relative was hit by car, as a pedestrian, had brain hemorrhage, cracked ribs, broken bones, etc . Because he was hit by a Heimish guy (known to be loaded in real estate, but everything on others names) who had minimum auto insurance, and my relative didnt have the "Underinsured motorist" added to his own policy, for when youre hit by a underinsured driver, your insurance kicks in, even as a pedestrian, he got like $10,000.

But Ive heard of people who fell on private property, and got some light bruising, and got much more than that.
Back to top

amother




Honeydew


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
Youre lucky you got that.

A relative was hit by car, as a pedestrian, had brain hemorrhage, cracked ribs, broken bones, etc . Because he was hit by a Heimish guy (known to be loaded in real estate, but everything on others names) who had minimum auto insurance, and my relative didnt have the "Underinsured motorist" added to his own policy, for when youre hit by a underinsured driver, your insurance kicks in, even as a pedestrian, he got like $10,000.

But Ive heard of people who fell on private property, and got some light bruising, and got much more than that.


He presumably could have pursued the "loaded" person beyond the limits of his insurance. You're not limited to insurance, you know.

But OP, it does all depend on your particular circumstances. What are your medical bills. What is your prognosis. Were you in any way negligent in your own actions. Its impossible to guess what your settlement or verdict would be.

Refuah shleima, of course. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 16 2019, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
The fact that a lawyer took my case means it has merit. Law firms dont waste their time if they dont see it as a viable case. They reject cases all the time.


That's not necessarily true as it depends on the type of law firm and the type of injury.

Some lawyers have a practice in which they do a very high volume because they settle for low amounts as most insurance companies or businesses will settle for a nominal amount to avoid the costs of litigation.

The actual amount that a case is "worth" is really dependent on factors that no one on this Board could know. Actual medical bills are a significant factor because even if you get more than the actual medical bills, they would be used to assess the seriousness of an injury. And keep in mind that your medical insurance will repaid for medical expenses which they covered as a form of subrogation.

As to other amounts, as someone alluded to, much would depend on the extent of your disability and your value in the marketplace. Someone who can no longer work - or was out of work for an extended period of time and lost wages - both past and potentially future will collect more than someone who didn't suffer any economic loss.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Whats For Supper Tonight-Honest!
by mom!
900 Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:42 pm View last post
Sue for personal.injury
by amother
17 Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:45 pm View last post
Male personal trainer lkwd
by amother
4 Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:40 pm View last post
Nutritionist and personal trainer
by amother
0 Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:39 am View last post
Shooting Range for Teenagers
by amother
1 Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:05 am View last post
by EMEN

Jump to: