Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte fish for beginners
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:57 pm
Kosher.com has a morrocan gefilte fish recipe

lucky14

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:04 pm
Ridethewaves wrote:
We like it baked. Unwrap, spice it as you like (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic..) bake on 350 for one hour.

I do it this way also - though I don't add salt. Turns out great.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:25 pm
I either bake it or cook it in the instant pot, BUT many years ago I had a very delicious jelled broth (and I'm so not the type to like it) that was served with the gefilte fish, and I am so curious how that baalabusta made that and if it is easy and if I should try. Anyone know how to make that?

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 10:20 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I either bake it or cook it in the instant pot, BUT many years ago I had a very delicious jelled broth (and I'm so not the type to like it) that was served with the gefilte fish, and I am so curious how that baalabusta made that and if it is easy and if I should try. Anyone know how to make that?

You have to use the fish skin in order for it to jell. People will usually cook their skin-on salmon together with the gefilte. The resultant "zaft" is what you ate.

tzipi1

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:11 am
Thank you for you answers! But here it's impossible for me to find the frozen loaf... Do you think it would be possible to prepare the gefilte fish from scratch?

agreer

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:46 am
karol wrote:
Thank you for you answers! But here it's impossible for me to find the frozen loaf... Do you think it would be possible to prepare the gefilte fish from scratch?

Not worth it. It doesn't taste good. Just make salmon, tilapia or some other fish.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:02 am
I have a good recipe from scratch, but we prefer the inexpensive Israeli frozen loaf. I cut off the plastic, drop it (gently) into a pot of boiling water with an onion and two carrots. Let it simmer for up to an hour.
Thecarrots are for garnish and my girlslike to eat the onion.
We serve it with chrein, horseradish and beets.
Dh likes it with that mayo based horseradish sauce.
The kids like it plain.

When my grandmother would bpmake it she would wrap each ball of fish in an onion skin to make it brown on the outside. She used a mixture of salmon and either pike or carp.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:08 pm
Pike skin makes it gelled. If you can't find there's already a powder that my grocery sells to make it gelled.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:10 pm
For a simcha it's nicer without the gel. Just slice the gefilte fish & set up on a tray with a carrot round on top of each slice.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:34 pm
When we were newlyweds, DH and I once had a Shabbos meal by one of DH's Rabbeim in Brooklyn. His Rebbetzin served us the most delicious homemade gefilte fish balls I have ever tasted.

I actually called her for the recipe (which horrified my neighbor in Lakewood - apparently this Rebbetzin is a very SCARY teacher at a local BY, whom you do NOT call for recipes - but I'm not a Brooklyn gal, so I got away with it) and she was delighted to share the recipe and instructions with me. I tried but my fish never came out as good as hers, though I tried several times....

I'm glad some people posted about baking gefilte fish. I started doing this a few years ago and I will never go back to fish pots. A disposable pan, spices, etc...and it's done. I bake my fish for about 1 1/2 hours.

Either I do it in the wrap, with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste, plus onions, carrot, celery.

Or I unwrap the fish, put sugar, salt, and pepper to taste, pour over marinara sauce and fresh dill, a little water like 1/2 way up the loaf.

Cover tightly and bake.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:48 pm
karol wrote:

Karol, I have a good recipe for gefilte fish from scratch (made from ground white fish and pike). I only make this for special occasions. It is a big job... not easy and I wouldn’t recommend you go through all the work.

I can’t imagine that the ashkenazim in your area are all making gefilte fish from scratch. It’s really not that easy. Can you ask some of the families who eat gefilte fish on a regular basis what they do?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:59 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I also bake it (cover with marinara and bake, nothing else) or toss it in my IP for 20 mins. Love my IP!

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:19 pm
1 kg ground fish (here I use silver carp)
3 eggs
¼ C potato starch
2 medium onions
1 small carrot
1 T salt
1 t pepper
½ C sugar

Mix ground fish in mixer while preparing the other ingredients.
Blend everything except carrot till smooth. Add carrot process till large specks. Add mixture to fish. Mix till well blended and thick.
Roll in baking paper.
Makes 4 rolls
Try balls...
Freeze or cook immediately.
Boil for an hour with salt pepper, sugar,onions and carrot.
Remove from water, chill covered till ready to serve

The ground fish gets sticky and holds its shape if it’s worked for a while I leave it in the mixer on a low speed for at least 10 minutes.

Chazak613

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:44 pm
Lol! and I just dunk the roll in a pot of water and let it cook on high for 10 -15 minutes. NO spices, vegtables. Nada! The ready roll come perfectly spiced

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:35 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

She added pike skin to cook together with the gefilte fish.

r1

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 7:02 pm
Chayalle wrote:
When we were newlyweds, DH and I once had a Shabbos meal by one of DH's Rabbeim in Brooklyn. His Rebbetzin served us the most delicious homemade gefilte fish balls I have ever tasted.

I actually called her for the recipe (which horrified my neighbor in Lakewood - apparently this Rebbetzin is a very SCARY teacher at a local BY, whom you do NOT call for recipes - but I'm not a Brooklyn gal, so I got away with it) and she was delighted to share the recipe and instructions with me. I tried but my fish never came out as good as hers, though I tried several times....

I'm glad some people posted about baking gefilte fish. I started doing this a few years ago and I will never go back to fish pots. A disposable pan, spices, etc...and it's done. I bake my fish for about 1 1/2 hours.

Either I do it in the wrap, with sugar, salt, and pepper to taste, plus onions, carrot, celery.

Or I unwrap the fish, put sugar, salt, and pepper to taste, pour over marinara sauce and fresh dill, a little water like 1/2 way up the loaf.

Cover tightly and bake.

With the wrapped version of baking, do u put water in the pan? I find cooking it such a hassle for something I’m technically buying ready made lol

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:54 pm
Chazak613 wrote:
Lol! and I just dunk the roll in a pot of water and let it cook on high for 10 -15 minutes. NO spices, vegtables. Nada! The ready roll come perfectly spiced

!5 minutes? And it's not raw? I have a friend who does it in the microwave (I don't have her recipe) and it takes at least that long.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:04 pm
Surrendered wrote:
I buy ready roll gefilta fish, add Baby salmon fillet slices in a disposable pan. Add sugar and "Fish seasoning" spice (ready store bought). Bake 1/2 hr. On 350`
Freezes well even after cooked.

Wow half hour?

Chazak613 wrote:

And 15 minutes?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:10 pm
r1 wrote:
With the wrapped version of baking, do u put water in the pan? I find cooking it such a hassle for something I’m technically buying ready made lol

Yes - water like 2/3 up the sides of the wrapped loaf.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:38 pm
dankbar wrote:
Pike skin makes it gelled. If you can't find there's already a powder that my grocery sells to make it gelled.

Does fish gelatin powder work?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics