Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte fish for beginners
Previous  1  2  3

boysrus

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:02 pm
There's nothing like homemade gefilte fish! I regret that I stopped making it, but I stopped because my kids wouldnt eat it. They eat the storebought rolls of gefilte fish, but that is nowhere near as good as homemade!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 5:11 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Karol, I have a good recipe for gefilte fish from scratch (made from ground white fish and pike). I only make this for special occasions. It is a big job... not easy and I wouldn’t recommend you go through all the work.

I can’t imagine that the ashkenazim in your area are all making gefilte fish from scratch. It’s really not that easy. Can you ask some of the families who eat gefilte fish on a regular basis what they do?

In my community most of the locals make it from scratch. I buy the logs, and people are always surprised when I tell them I bought it. I tried it once from scratch for pesach but wasn't thrilled with the results.

Karol, you really need a local recipe. I never see pike on sale where I live...maybe its more common in the USA.

As to what to do with the mixture once you have made it fried is amazing.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 3:43 pm
The powder they sell specifically for this is from taubers fish store. Ye it works

Shuly

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 12:58 pm
Unwrap the store bought loaf, put it in a disposable pan, sprinkle some garlic powder, pepper and paprika on top.
Slice an onion and mix with oil and oregano or Italian seasoning.
Put the spiced onions over and around the loaf.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until done - 30 minutes to an hour, depending on your oven.

dankbar

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:24 pm
OP how was the gefilte fish?

Zeleze

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:38 am
Do you use fried onion's or fresh dicced ?

Fried makes the fish more brown, but more sweeter in my mind

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 7:41 am
Squishy wrote:
My oldest sibling remembers the fish in the bathtub.

I remember live fish in Israeli supermarkets and you could pick one out and they would brain it for you with a pipe but I've gotten over the trauma. Mostly.

tzipi1

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 1:54 pm
Thank you Mom's! I'va made a "mix" of your recipes and suggest and I'va made my gefilte fish!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 3:39 pm
How was it?

tzipi1

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:03 pm
Very good! I will prepare it also for this shakos! Also my Bobe appreciate is (and she is an old old italian grandmother... not so easy!)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics