Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach cleaning - when do you start?
Previous  1  2

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 7:37 pm
I got into Spring cleaning and organizing the last week or so. I usually start after Tu Bshvat but slow and steady , no pressure. I like to cook at least a few days in advance. I haven't cleaned my house at all for Pesach since we moved a few years ago because we've gone away and I haven't done Spring cleaning either. But this year I'll be home for Pesach and it's the first time in years that I'm not working but this time I'll have a 7-8 month old crawling around which is another challenge I haven't had in years. But I'm actually looking forward. No cleaning help at all. My DH already let me know he doesn't want to hear about the cleaning, it stresses him out and he doesn't really plan on helping me much in terms of cleaning . Maybe I'll use his elbow grease in the kitchen but I'll let him stick to his car and do whatever else needs to be done. I do the cleaning and cooking.
I also don't fret if I didn't get to wash or clean things that I wanted to. I take it easy breezy until everything falls into place.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:17 pm
Even before I can go into my closets to organize....there are tons of boxes of clutter outside....tons of toys, junks, gifts....that my son accumulated while being unwell. Every time he was in hospital, or joined an event or gifts from every organization for chanuka.....small apt....no place for any extra stuff....Im going crazy.....started this week going thru those boxes....

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 8:25 pm
ummm have three kids under the age of seven who eat everywhere (even though we DO have a kitchen only rule)
Dh does most of the cleaning Very Happy and I do most cooking. We start about two weeks before pesach. sometimes a bit later than that . No cleaning help. We "spring clean" and organize all year so pesach cleaning to me is just a great vacuuming and search for chametz. I live in a six bedroom 3000 square foot house.
I turn over my kitchen three days before you tov.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 16 2019, 9:01 pm
I have a spare room that really never gets used. I like to clean that out before Purim. Then I decide which toys to use over Pesach and I take them away, clean them, and put them in the room- voila, new toys for Pesach! All Pesach shopping gets dumped in that room until my kitchen is turned over- I like to do a big shopping trip first week of Nissan.

After Purim, no more cheerios, couscous, etc. I have small kids and cheerios go everywhere.

We're not the tidiest people and no cleaning help, so I do spring cleaning jobs in Adar. I thoroughly clean my fridge, stove, etc so that turning it over is easier because I'm not doing spring cleaning when it's time to kasher.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:02 am
We only eat in the kitchen or dinning room. Food is not brought into other areas of our home. We start cleaning just a few days before. As other posters said, dirt is NOT chametz. And I also only cook 2 days before.
we dont make it into a spring cleaning fest. Pesach is a week. Im not going to be preparing for it for three months.

salt

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:15 am
Same as shabbat and watergirl here.
Pesach cleaning in my house takes about a week or two. That can include sorting through a few closets (ie. unecessary spring cleaning), but I usually try to do that at other times of the year.
Start cooking a couple of days before Pesach - prior to Pesach, I only cook for the first day (Only 1 day yom tov and 1 seder in Israel). Rest of cooking is done on chol hamoed. We're usually home for Seder and Pesach.
Bedikat chametz on erev pesach, my DH goes through every single shelf and drawer anyway, so what's the point of going through it twice?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:28 am
I started already after the winter vacation. I have 4 bedroom appointment. 4 kids, a cleaner 3 times a week. My dh is a bit of a hoarder. I got rid of 3 garbage bags of clothes and shoes. It takes me 4 weeks to organise and clean the kitchen, I try to kasher the kitchen a week before cause it usually takes 2 days to do just that. I don't have a passover kitchen. And I cook 2 days. My kids do eat outside the kitchen and dining room.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:07 am
rainbow dash wrote:
I started already after the winter vacation. I have 4 bedroom appointment. 4 kids, a cleaner 3 times a week. My dh is a bit of a hoarder. I got rid of 3 garbage bags of clothes and shoes. It takes me 4 weeks to organise and clean the kitchen, I try to kasher the kitchen a week before cause it usually takes 2 days to do just that. I don't have a passover kitchen. And I cook 2 days. My kids do eat outside the kitchen and dining room.

Getting rid of clothes and shoes is great but it is not Pesach cleaning. This thread is about Pesach cleaning. It is not a thread about decluttering or Spring Cleaning. Every year this happens on here. 🙄

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:17 am
amother wrote:
I want to start now. I want an extra day a week with my cleaning lady detailing my house. DH thinks I can have my house cleaned and not start until after Purim.

How big is your house? How many kids? Do you eat outside the kitchen/ dining room? How much help do you have? What's your cleaning schedule? Do you stay home for Pesach? Do you cook in advance.

I start after Purim indeed.

BH a big 3 bedrooms. BH 5 children. Yes. Cleaning lady twice a week and plus if needed around Pessach. No schedule. Yes. Yes for the YT.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:17 am
Honestly. Let's try not to all panic. I have a large 7 bedroom house bh. I have a cleaner once a wk for 4 hrs. I start after purim. Every Sunday we do one floor of the house. All my kids are on standby to help either entertain smaller kids or actually help sort and clean out drawers. My husband pulls out the furniture to vacume. The final Sunday is the dining room/playroom and living room. The. The Monday the kitchen together with a cleaner for a few hrs. I cover in the eve with my husband. And Cook the rest of the wk. We eat either outside or pesach food that we don't eat on pesach(processed).
Without bragging- bh my kids love love the pesach preps...music is on, we are all involved.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 5:59 am
I “winter clean”. When it’s cold and there is no busy schedule like Yom Tov or anything I start doing the insides of the closets. I start by doing the most unused closets and slowly go from there. It’s enjoyable and there is no pressure. Who says it must be done erev Pesach...?

Actual Pesach cleaning starts after Purim.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 6:16 am
No need to pesach clean but its much easier to pesach clean a decluttered house. So go ahead and do that now if you have time.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:57 pm
Genuine Pesach cleaning, which means the kitchen? Two weeks ahead. Annual and semi-annual deep cleaning? Around Chanukah to January. This process takes months as I do a little at a time and includes all those things that need to be done once or twice a year but have zilch to do with Pesach, like dusting books and bookshelves, cleaning and organizing desk and dresser drawers, polishing wooden furniture, washing windows and curtains, cleaning ceiling fans, degunking cookware, cleaning and straightening out the linen closet and so on and so forth.

Remember, this is spring cleaning (yes, in December), not Pesach cleaning. If I’m real good I do it again before RH.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:06 am
Once we recover from Purim we start to neaten rooms that aren't places where food is usually eaten. On Rosh Chodesh we start to do the former for real, and the week before Pesach we actually clean for Pesach. Our shul has catered meals on Shabbat Hagadol but unless it's really close to Pesach we pass on that and do something modest at home or a potluck with friends. This year there's a whole week.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 4:44 am
I have a large house and minimal cleaning help. The few weeks before pesach I’ll have my cleaning help do a bedroom or playroom etc each time she comes instead of the regular cleaning.
From start to finish it takes around 6 weeks but we work slowly here...
I have to turn over my large kitchen and do lots of cooking. No help for that and kashering, covering, taking out pesach things, doing a large pesach shopping takes me a few days.
I need around a week to cook and bake and I’m still in the kitchen so much over pesach which makes me wish sometimes that I got more done before yomtov began. I’d love to start cooking on Rosh Chodesh Nissan but I would find it very hard to feed my family if I couldn’t have chometz around so early.
Bottom line, preparing for pesach and cooking for your family and guests is a big job. Somehow we all get there....

pcln

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 2:01 pm
I would like to recommend to you articles about cleaning the house for Passover

PCLN.CO.IL their articles are comprehensive and up-to-date (2019) on the subject:

Differences between Nikon and a housekeeper cleaning homes for Passover.
Check the Liszt for Passover DIY STYLE
And some on the services demand for Nikon services for the holiday, prices and costs and recommendations.
The articles are on the Hebrew site but it is possible to do a Google translation which is wonderful.
I do not remember all the links to articles but
When you enter the article, you will see additional articles related to the subject.

CLEANING for Passover - Professor of cleanliness - פרופסור לניקיון

SingALong

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:50 pm
I have little kids that bring food everywhere. I find chonetz in the strangest places. I have a 6 bedroom house with study and playroom on the first floor.
I need to start early otherwise it gets to pressured and overwhelming for me. Plus I can’t clean when the kids are around so I only have a couple of hours each day to work.
I started decuttering now so it’s easier to clean closet to Pesach. I’m just finishing the bedrooms and second floor will iyh be done by next week.
First floor I need to do the playroom which can take a week. I have a lot of toys. I’ll clean some and put away for Pesach into my basement storage room. Kitchen I only keep food in the pantry and 1 other cabinet. So most cabinets just need a quick wipe down. Dining room I do the last Sunday before Pesach.
I have a Pesach kitchen and I start cooking right after Purim. First week I do baked stuff like Cakes/cookies and desserts. Then I put my mixer away and take out the food processor for kugels, I make soups, and some sides. The Last week I do mains, other miscellaneous things and focus on Seder items.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics