Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Help me find high school for dd BROOKLYN
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:40 pm
Thankyou everyone. Reading these posts gave me butterflies in my tummy. We are late because my dd was beginning to be homeschooled and now changed her mind. I was researching homeschooling options and online hs and had plan for her but now she wants to go to school and I want to help her. I think I will call school for help. Thankyou all

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:05 pm
Also find out where her friends are going to. That'll also give you some idea of where to go.
Her principal and a rav should def help.
Good luck!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:50 pm
doctorima wrote:
If you want a warm atmosphere close to Marine Park, Lev Bais Yaakov seems like your best option.

Looks like a judge just approved a lawsuit against Lev Bais Yaakov. Don't know all the details but op should be very careful about this school if her daughter is not a traditional student-- https://www.vosizneias.com/314.....rial/

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
Looks like a judge just approved a lawsuit against Lev Bais Yaakov. Don't know all the details but op should be very careful about this school if her daughter is not a traditional student-- https://www.vosizneias.com/314.....rial/

This incident is irrelevant to the thread. The OP has no chance of even getting an interview in Lev BY this late in the year.

kenz

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
This incident is irrelevant to the thread. The OP has no chance of even getting an interview this late in the year.

That’s not true, there are always girls who get in to high school later in the year once most spots have been filled. She’ll get in somewhere, it just won’t likely be easy.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:27 pm
If you are yeshivish, look into YOB. It might be a good fit.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:36 pm
kenz wrote:
That’s not true, there are always girls who get in to high school later in the year once most spots have been filled. She’ll get in somewhere, it just won’t likely be easy.

Only if she has the right connections and people advocating for her, or if she is willing to consider the unpopular schools like Machon.
But Lev BY has to accept their own elementary students first and will never give preference to an outsider over their own students.

(I speak from experience)

kenz

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
Only if she has the right connections and people advocating for her, or if she is willing to consider the unpopular schools like Machon.

(I speak from experience)

Ok, I think we’re basically saying the same thing in different ways. First thing she needs to do is speak with the current principal and then take it from there.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 3:41 pm
kenz wrote:
Ok, I think we’re basically saying the same thing in different ways. First thing she needs to do is speak with the current principal and then take it from there.

To clarify, I was referring specifically to Lev BY. I edited my post you quoted to explain why I don't believe she will be granted an interview there.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 4:10 pm
Someone who works in Lev BY is apparently on this thread, handing out hugs and reporting the post with a link to the VIN article.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 4:14 pm
Who really cares about that article. The yeshivas kick out kids for an assortment of dumb reasons and some valid, sometimes investigated, many times not. So one kid is prosecuting. So what? Now they will pay a lawyer, nothing will change. Its not just one school, its many.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:

Sheesh, that really frosts my flakes.

The allegation appears to be that she was expelled due to unsubstantiated allegations, not even investigated by the school, made by an unidentified person.

But I bet that the boy whose mother called didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:28 pm
Yeshiva of Brooklyn on Ocean Parkway and ave O is very easy to get into.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:50 pm
Op you mentioned money is an issue if so I would stay far away from lev they will not allow girls to take midterms/finals if there parents are not up to date the principles will harass the girl in the halls when they see her and ask her why everyone else's parents come up with the money but hers don't...they will make the girl stay home and blame you for it!!! if you want your daughter in a warm school stay far away from lev!!!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:52 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:41 pm
Wow
Ok I will stay away from LEV
My dtr doesn’t not want YOB
I am left with BYA
Hope it goes well
Otherwise homeschooling HS posts will follow.
Thankyou ladies. Hashem bless us all and guide us in right direction always

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Wow
Ok I will stay away from LEV
My dtr doesn’t not want YOB
I am left with BYA
Hope it goes well
Otherwise homeschooling HS posts will follow.
Thankyou ladies. Hashem bless us all and guide us in right direction always

Please do not base your decision on a bunch of anonymous posts from people you don't know in real life that may be disgruntled or have a bias against certain schools because it didn't work for them. Every school has its haters. And for the 3 or 4 bashing posts , you'll find 100 who are very happy. Do your homework. Not on here.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:16 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reality

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:05 am
I only reccomended bya because I know they are a low pressure school. I have no idea if their hanhala is understanding.

Prospect is an academic school but they definitely work with your child if she has learning issues. Rabbi Stern is a very compassionate person. Mrs Press is a very straight shooter. Maybe it is worth it to consider.

Anyway, you shouldn't put all your hopes in one school. You definitely need to contact a few places. Good luck!

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:09 am
Prospect will almost certainly accept your daughter but it is a very academic school . Your daughter will have a very hard time there .
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics