Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby at risk in childcare?
1  2  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:07 am
I live near a community affected with the measles epidemic. I know that some mums around here don't vaccinate and also take their kids to places affected by measles. Day care which I'd like to use don't ask parents if they've vaccinated and my baby is under one so can't yet be immunised against measles.
What would you do?
I feel like it's my duty to protect my child but with many women in my community if you mention anything about vaccinations anti-vaxxers will aggressively attack you so I don't know what to do (this is why I have been very general in this post also as not to be recognised). I have a science background and have done my research before deciding to vaccinate and actually am appalled by how poor the science is on these anti-vax sites and how many blatant lies there are. So I am pretty certain of my position and know my fears are justified but I don't know what to do about it.
Any ideas?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:10 am
I think you're going to have to look for a different day care that does confirm vaccinations. Good luck!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:33 am
Sorry I forgot to add importantly that any other childcare options may mean non-kosher not Jewish so I don't know which way to go.

ShishKabob wrote:
I think you're going to have to look for a different day care that does confirm vacinations. Good luck!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:35 am
You should also be concerned about strep, colds, staph infections, pneumonia and all other million contagious diseases that there are no vaccines for.
[offensive comment removed]

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
You should also be concerned about strep, colds, staph infections, pneumonia and all other million contagious diseases that there are no vaccines for.
What the h. Go daven to your creator.

This is just mean, spiteful, and not in any way helpful. Posted anonymously just to be cruel.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
What the h. Go daven to your creator.
I reported this post. A G-d fearing person wouldn't talk like that.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:47 am
To op I would try to find another kosher option. Perhaps a different kind of childcare. But I wouldn't pull out a kid over this.

saw50st8

amother wrote:
Sorry I forgot to add importantly that any other childcare options may mean non-kosher not Jewish so I don't know which way to go.

I opted for a non-Jewish daycare for my kids. The care was excellent (and a lot of Jewish kids went too!).

Around 2.5, we moved them to Jewish programs.

Why would your baby eat non-kosher? Our daycare only served what we gave.

ectomorph

(im pro vax and all my kids r vaccinated)

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:52 am
Op, can you get someone to watch your baby at home? I would really be nervous about leaving a tiny baby in a daycare with unvaxed kids during an outbreak.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:54 am
Definitely chosen another daycare. My daughter is at a secular daycare and she’s doing great. Everyone is super respectful and no is (is allowed) to share food. With food allergies and sensitivities they have to be so careful in making sure each child only eats their own food

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 11:56 am
Sebastian wrote:
Op, can you get someone to watch your baby at home? I would really be nervous about leaving a tiny baby in a daycare with unvaxed kids during an outbreak.

Especially since parents are lying about the fact that their kids have measles. (Also, people need to learn how to spell measles...)

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:06 pm
one of the babies by my baby's daycare got the measles. This baby is from a vaccinated family, but he is too young to get the shot.

It's not necessarily going to help you to switch daycares. The babies are getting exposed not only from their siblings. They are getting exposed in the streets, neighbors, grocery stores.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:15 pm
If it's a licensed daycare or gov't funded they usually need to apply to govt guidelines & can't accept anyone not vaccinated.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 12:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
(im pro vax and all my kids r vaccinated)

Great. Can you watch OP's baby?

rachel6543

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:06 pm
My current baby is in a non Jewish daycare and it’s been working out great so far. I provide all food, so kosher hasn’t been an issue. It’s a completely licensed daycare and all kids must be vaccinated per state regulations. I never originally thought I’d be okay with a non-Jewish daycare, but it’s been working out great. I do plan to move my baby to a Jewish preschool eventually. I just say, don’t be scared of checking out non Jewish daycares.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
one of the babies by my baby's daycare got the measles. This baby is from a vaccinated family, but he is too young to get the shot.

It's not necessarily going to help you to switch daycares. The babies are getting exposed not only from their siblings. They are getting exposed in the streets, neighbors, grocery stores.
this is y I'm not sure it's worth pulling out

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:47 pm
ectomorph wrote:
this is y I'm not sure it's worth pulling out

This is why I chose a non Jewish day care; I want to keep my baby out of this community of crazy anti-vaxxers

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
This is why I chose a non Jewish day care; I want to keep my baby out of this community of crazy anti-vaxxers

You clearly didn't read my above posts. I am pro vax

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 2:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
You clearly didn't read my above posts. I am pro vax

I did read your posts and I agree with you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics