Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How Often do you buy new linen
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:27 pm
I have noticed that my kids linen gets frayed pretty quickly. Just wondering if this is normal. How often do you purchase brand new linen for kids and yourself.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:50 pm
I only buy new linen when I change the room color. I have linens decades old.

What do your kids do to their linen?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:53 pm
I just got them about 1.5 years ago and I see that they are already a bit washed out. I can't say they always fall asleep every night bathed etc so maybe that causes it to look more washed out because I need to wash more frequently. I wash them once every 2 weeks.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 8:56 pm
Good soft linen just isn't as durable. Friction from sleeping can make it fray and you'll see clearly that the part of the sheet that has your feet moving goes first. Smile
Washing your linen more often won't help. I wash every week due to environmental allergies, and my linen goes just as fast.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 9:19 pm
how many sets do you have- we switch off between two.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:27 pm
100% cotton wears out more quickly. I think my kids are harder on their linen then we are.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:32 pm
If you buy good quality linen and have more than one set it should last a while. After one year to see wear and tear seems too fast. Im very picky with my linen.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
If you buy good quality linen and have more than one set it should last a while. After one year to see wear and tear seems too fast. Im very picky with my linen.

How does switching help?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:39 pm
I bought high quality linen for my master bedroom and I'm lying in it now, ten years later. It got softer over the years but no other changes. I wash it weekly and alternate with one other set.

My kids have target linen and the cotton gets faded but not noticeably worn. Theirs is washed weekly, not alternated with any other sets.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:42 pm
When I was single I bought good quality linen for my bedroom.
It’s more than 15 years later and my girls are using it in their room. The linen is still in very good condition and matches their room so well.
Other sets that I have bought since I got married have not held up. Either the material has become thin and faded, the elastic on the sheets stretched out or a broken zipper on the blanket cover.
It definitely pays to spend on high quality linen... usually from a Jewish linen store.
Know what to look for in linen before you buy. You really aren’t saving by spending less on a set that has to be replaced every year or so .

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
I bought high quality linen for my master bedroom and I'm lying in it now, ten years later. It got softer over the years but no other changes. I wash it weekly and alternate with one other set.

My kids have target linen and the cotton gets faded but not noticeably worn. Theirs is washed weekly, not alternated with any other sets.

So why do my sheets get ripped up after 3-4 years. I replace the sheets and keep the quilts. Very expensive linen - super soft cotton. And after 13 years the material on the quilts and pillowcase is shredded. I don’t think I’m incredibly hard on it. This is true for 2 sets that switch off.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jan 17 2019, 10:56 pm
We're married a decade bh & I didn't buy any new linens yet. For my kids I keep replacing cheaper sets.

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:21 am
I bought 3 sets of linen when I got married - 2 really good quality, one not.

The good quality ones have just started to wear out, after almost 10 years. The fitted sheets started to rip, but the duvet covers and pillow cases are still in perfect condition, so I just bought new fitted sheets. I alternate sets and wash every 2nd week, so each set was washed about 1x/6 weeks.

The not-as-expensive one did not last. I don't know where it is, if I threw it out or if it's in my linen closet and I just don't use it because it's so worn out and crumply (I'm not ironing linen).

judithc

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:26 am
The very soft expensive sets I bought went pretty quickly but I believe that's because they were 100% cotton which is very comfy.
Then I bought a set that was a cotton blend and way cheaper....and it's holding up beautifully.

etky

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
So why do my sheets get ripped up after 3-4 years. I replace the sheets and keep the quilts. Very expensive linen - super soft cotton. And after 13 years the material on the quilts and pillowcase is shredded. I don’t think I’m incredibly hard on it. This is true for 2 sets that switch off.

What kind of washing machine do you have? Is the water hard in your area? Do you use strong detergent with bleach? Fabric softener? Dryer sheets?
These could also be factors.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:48 am
I am married over a decade and have some of my parent's linen that I grew up with (and they are married over 40 years).
You possibly bought a bad batch or something. I think good quality linen should not be falling apart.
And since Im married, we have only ever bought new linen when we bought new beds and the sizing was different.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:56 am
I have 3 bedwetters. That’s 3 sets that need to be washed about every other day plus the backups. They have small rips from where the was a screw on the bed that we hadn’t noticesd and some has shot elastic. The elastic doesn’t bother me since the sheets are a little big. I tuck them under so the sheet lies flat with nice corners.
Faded doesn’t bother me at all. I dy them in the sun, it’s often faster, for sure easier than the dryer.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 7:26 am
ra_mom wrote:
Good soft linen just isn't as durable. Friction from sleeping can make it fray and you'll see clearly that the part of the sheet that has your feet moving goes first. Smile
Washing your linen more often won't help. I wash every week due to environmental allergies, and my linen goes just as fast.

Funny, I was about to say that the good, quality linen lasts much longer than target, closeout connection type

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 7:58 am
I have linen from my room as a girl that I use on the guest beds. They are washed only when we have guests which is about half the time. My linen in my room is 12 years old. I don't rotate the linen anymore. It gets washed weekly. Still looks gorgeous. The linens in my kids rooms are from kohls and macys. They are washed and dried weekly.

It sounds to me like a washing machine/ dryer problem that OP has.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:45 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Funny, I was about to say that the good, quality linen lasts much longer than target, closeout connection type

I actually didn't mean the Target type. I meant that the more expensive butter soft Egyptian cotton sets or the soft 500 thread count sets from the Jewish stores fray quicker than the classic sets from the Jewish stores.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics