Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Postpartum weight gain - sensitive responses only please

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:49 pm
Hi,
So I'm hesitant to post here because I'm seeking supportive, sensitive responses and I'm afraid I won't get only those. But I'll take the risk because I really need some assistance.

Please don't respond with: You need to eat less or exercise more - I get that.

I gained a lot of weight in between children. Then I took control of my diet and went on a food plan that worked for me and my weight stabilized to "mainenence" level for the next several months - both before my pregnancy and throughout most of the first half of my pregnancy. I continued on this food plan with no problem throughout my pregnancy and gained only the recommended amount.

Postpartum was crazy!!! It was kind of a grab food whenever you can time because you might be sitting with the baby for the next 7 hours before you next get a break. And it was grab whatever is available, whatever is super quick, and ideally something I could eat with one hand. Looking back, I'm not sure that I could have done it differently even if I'd tried. It was really crazy.

Additionally, one of the components of my previous food plan involved focused on being satisfied and enjoying my meals, so I wouldn't snack to much. With the postpartum craziness above, even when I ate - it was under the pressure of having to relieve whoever was watching the baby for me at that moment, so there was little satisfaction, so I just ate more due to not being mentally satisfied.

Thank G-d, that first stage is over now, but unfortunately, it left me with a lot of weight gain.

I went back to my food plan and I started exercising. I don't expect to lose weight (or at least not much, without more work) but I do expect to stop gaining and to maintain my current weight.

However, that's NOT happening and I'm freaking out because I'm still gaining weight!

Since I'm still in early days with my baby, I have to be realistic -

Now is not a time when I can go on a diet. It's also not a time when I can do massive amounts of exercising. It's not a time when I can cook particularly healthy food (although I want to) or go lo-carb (which I think is an interesting idea.).

Right now, I am fortunate if I can get rice or pasta on the table for supper. I am trying to up my intake of fruits and vegetables.

But I can't. And I'm being realistic about not expecting to lose the weight.

I just want to stop gaining - I'm on a food plan that worked for me well for 14 months so I think it's realistic to expect it to work well for me now. Especially since I'm adding some exercise to the mix.

Is there someone I could speak to who can help me to stop gaining weight without pushing me to make major changes that I just can't make when the lion's share of my time needs to be with my new baby (and taking care of the rest of my family B"H)?

Even writing this post is taking so long that my baby is unhappy and I probably just lost my chance to eat my meal.

Also, would a fitbit help me any more than a generic low cost pedometer?

Please help! Also, if anyone else went through postpartum weight gain, I'd love some chizzuk!

Thank you!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 12:53 pm
OP-
I will be having my thyroid checked. I know that can be a factor. But I haven't had the test yet so I don't know one way or the other.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:24 pm
IMHO- your hormones are probably not stable yet-
How long ago did you have your baby.
If your plan is healthy, FOR YOU., then keep at it
Please don’t forget drink water.
They say ppl are 800x more successful on their food plan IF they drink a lot of water

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:24 pm
OP again (sorry!)
I'd be happy to talk to a nutritionist or health coach - if you can recommend someone who would be supportive, and realistic of what I can and can't do, that would be amazing. Not someone who will put me down.

Thank you!

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 1:57 pm
Some people are genetically programmed to gain weight while they're nursing Sad It's so hard. It sounds like everything is pretty overwhelming for you right now. If you can afford help, it will be money well spent. If you can cut corners anywhere, do it. If you decide to bottle feed, your baby will never know the difference. You're a superhero, be kind to yourself! Any of the above may help make it easier for you to meal prep a little more effectively.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 18 2019, 4:44 pm
Op- how long ago did you give birth?

Does the baby nap at all?

I don’t know what your plan consist of, but is there any way for you to make yummy
food easier.

Frozen veggies can be easily roasted in the oven.

Frozen berries can be made into sorbet and frozen into individual portions

Does your plan allow muffins, cookies or treats that can be made in andvance in bulk and frozen

Protein options can be prepared raw and frozen, ready to put in the oven.

Post what your food plan is and maybe we can help you

It may be time to invest in a swing or a bouncer so the baby can free you a little bit.

Maybe a baby carrier, this way your hands are free

WastingTime

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 12:33 pm
I gain postpartum also, your body dealt with pregnancy + labor and if you're nursing it takes a lot out of your body!!
Keep expectations low. I don't know what experiences you've had in the past but no one should be putting you down abt your body! Especially not you yourself
I recently discovered intuitive eating and love it. It's not abt diet or weight lose but abt developing a healthy natural relationship with food and your body. Highly recommend!!!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 3:36 pm
The easiest thing would be to try to substitute with a healthier option when you can and try to stick to protein and veggies.
Avoiding carbs isn’t about the carbs. Rather that’s where the fat, sugar and salt often are.
Try to make a list if healthy snack options. Next shopping trip, stock up.
Canned and frozen are good too.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:52 pm
The Rambam’s recommendations have worked for me, to the degree that I’ve implemented them. They help with weight loss, but just as importantly, with your digestive system operating well, thereby increasing energy levels.
Here’s a couple of guidelines which are relatively easy to follow:
1) drink water on an empty stomach, 20 min prior to meal, 2 hours after meal. Mixing water with food will dilute digestive juices, decreasing their efficiency.
2( chew your food well. You will enjoy it more, eat less and it helps digestion as well.
3) switch to whole wheat and low or no sugar as much as you can. (Don’t use sweetener)
4) don’t fill your stomach more than 2/3 full.

For more info, read “To your Health,” available in Jewish bookstores

Nurture yourself in ways that don’t involve food as well. You will iyH be a better mom from it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:08 pm
Hi OP.

Wanted to offer sympathy and hugs - weight gain, or struggling to lose weight after baby, is so hard!

I didn't see you mention if you're nursing, but as another mother mentioned, some women gain weight when they are nursing. I'm one of those... Everyone told me that nursing would help me lose weight, but I put on between 20 and 60 pounds while nursing in 6-8 months time after each kid! Nursing gives me a ravenous appetite. Not just thirsty, but feel like if I don't eat I get weak and need to eat. If I try to cut back on calories or carbs even a little, it affects my supply. Then I'm weak AND have a hungry frustrated baby who is chomping on me and crying non-stop!

As I write this I'm looking at my nursing baby BH and am finally at peace with my body and my metabolic situation. When I stop nursing the weight falls off - I know I can lose the weight after. Right now, I'm accepting that I'm going to put on weight while I nurse the little one.

(It's not my thyroid, health is ok BH).

I am trying to increase my fruit and veggie intake too for the baby's health and my own nutrition, and trying to cut back on white carbs and extra sugars because doing these things helps a bit with my insatiable appetite. I'm embarking on an exercise program, but it's low impact walking and pilates to strengthen my core - no plans for crazy cardio or weights because I know that my body can't handle that just yet.

I guess the thing that helps me get through the weight gain of nursing and postpartum is keeping in mind that my babies don't nurse forever, and this too shall pass. Trying to focus on the angelic baby helps too Smile Reminding myself that every BODY is different, and most of us can't look like the movie stars after baby, not for a long time if ever.

Wishing you much hatzlacha, sending hugs!

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:32 pm
Iymnok wrote:
The easiest thing would be to try to substitute with a healthier option when you can and try to stick to protein and veggies.
Avoiding carbs isn’t about the carbs. Rather that’s where the fat, sugar and salt often are.
Try to make a list if healthy snack options. Next shopping trip, stock up.
Canned and frozen are good too.

This.
I never lost weight while nursing.
What's worked for me to lose weight is to stick with whole grains and avoid sugar as much as possible. It's much easier now because the kids I cook for are older and don't mind them.
Then again, I try not to overdo it on grains.
I would say, just do your best right now to make healthy choices.
Hatzlacha.

atara4

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:35 am
I totally feel for you! I work crazy hard trying not to gain weight and to lose weight after my babies. one thing that helped me, was that my nutritionist told me I should try dieting for a week and if that doesn't work - STOP. Every month I would try dieting and if I didn't lose, I would just focus on making healthy choices until the next trial.

my baby is 8 months old and last month, I lost during that week trial, so I continued with my diet and I lost a couple of pounds. I hope it will continue....

This time around I felt so much better and less depressed about my weight knowing that when my body was ready to lose, I will catch it during my monthly trials and won't need to kill myself.

I have no idea wha'ts wrong, as it's definitely not my thyroid, but I am nursing. Good luck and I know how horrible it feels!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise