Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Forgot to go to traffic court.
1  2  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 6:52 pm
I missed traffic court on Wednesday because I wrote down 1/26 instead of 1/16. Anyways, I just noticed says on the ticket that the date is 1/16 and that my license will be suspended if I dont show. I cant call them because ita closed until Monday. How fast does your license get suspended and does that mean if I drive I could chv be arrested over this?

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 6:52 pm
Yes you could be arrested. I wouldn't drive if I were you.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:10 pm
Ask a lawyer .my husband missed his court date once .I think he just had to pay some down payment.

1untamedgirl

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:16 pm
amother wrote:
I missed traffic court on Wednesday because I wrote down 1/26 instead of 1/16. Anyways, I just noticed says on the ticket that the date is 1/16 and that my license will be suspended if I dont show. I cant call them because ita closed until Monday. How fast does your license get suspended and does that mean if I drive I could chv be arrested over this?

If you are in NY then you can try to see if your case is online and if there is a verdict-- https://iapps.courts.state.ny......sMain

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:39 pm
There wouldn't be a verdict. You just call in, pay a small fee and have the date rescheduled. I'm just wondering how long it takes before Albany actually suspends your license (because DH told me at least a week) otherwise I'll need to pay around $500-$1,000 for taxis until Monday.

nchr

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:41 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
If you are in NY then you can try to see if your case is online and if there is a verdict-- https://iapps.courts.state.ny......sMain

This is for civil and criminal court. Not traffic court. Missing a court date or not showing up is a very common occurance. You just call in or appear in person with a small payment and the date is rescheduled. Officers can scan a license plate though and see if the driver's license has been suspended if it has already been entered into the system.

1untamedgirl

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:49 pm
nchr wrote:
This is for civil and criminal court. Not traffic court. Missing a court date or not showing up is a very common occurance. You just call in or appear in person with a small payment and the date is rescheduled. Officers can scan a license plate though and see if the driver's license has been suspended if it has already been entered into the system.

Looks like it depends on whether it says "Traffic Violations Bureau" on the ticket or not. If it says Traffic Violations Bureau then you can check your case here-- https://transact2.dmv.ny.gov/p.....o.cfm

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:50 pm
I just want to know that it doesn't matter if it's because you drove drunk or missed a date in traffic court

all the police officer is going to see is that your license was suspended and you're still driving and you'll be in a real mess

1untamedgirl

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:51 pm
BTW, the courts are probably closed til Tuesday as monday is a holiday so bear that in mind before you start driving.

nchr

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:57 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I just want to know that it doesn't matter if it's because you drove drunk or missed a date in traffic court

all the police officer is going to see is that your license was suspended and you're still driving and you'll be in a real mess

That's only partially true. It's a mess in the sense that being a arrested is a mess, but unlikely any real criminal charges will be granted. Also, many officers will just ask you to park the car and not arrest you. The court will let you post bail and call the traffic municipality. I know many people who have had this happen and no one had any long lasting charges or issues. You should be on top of it though but it is not a disaster. Also, if the court date was Wednesday the absolute earliest Albany could have been informed was Thursday. Once you call the municipality and pay, they give you a receipt to carry along with you in case you're pulled over before the DMV unsuspends your license.

nchr

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:19 pm
You can sign up for a NYS my DMV account, login and it will say the status of your license. That way you can see if the DMV has been notified.

https://dmv.ny.gov/mydmv/mydmv

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I'm not an expert but I'm curious if you know what you're talking about. You say she'll be arrested if she us caught driving. Do you know this forsure? For starters let's assume by not showing up she automatically loses the case. Even if it was a 6 point ticket that still doesn't trigger a license suspension. I'm sure she has to pay the fine associated with the ticket fairly soon, but I doubt a few days later her license is suspended. Again, if you're an expert with this then I apologize. Otherwise plz be careful giving scary advice that doesn't seem to make sense.

happymommy6

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:50 pm
My husband's license was suspended without him being notified for unpaid tickets and was caught driving and arrested. Worst day of my life seeing my amazing man behind bars in a police car. Spent the night in jail under horrific conditions even though I went immediately to pay his bonds.
Bottom line..don't be foolish!

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:07 pm
ectomorph wrote:

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:12 pm
I was arrested for having my license suspended due to not paying a speeding ticket. I knew it would get suspended eventually, until I paid, but never imagined so fast. I didn’t even get the suspension letter yet.

I make an illegal turn, they pulled me over, ran my license and put me in handcuffs.

Please I’m begging you, don’t drive yet!

ectomorph

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not an expert but I'm curious if you know what you're talking about. You say she'll be arrested if she us caught driving. Do you know this forsure? For starters let's assume by not showing up she automatically loses the case. Even if it was a 6 point ticket that still doesn't trigger a license suspension. I'm sure she has to pay the fine associated with the ticket fairly soon, but I doubt a few days later her license is suspended. Again, if you're an expert with this then I apologize. Otherwise plz be careful giving scary advice that doesn't seem to make sense.
thanks to the amothers who reponded. Read the 2 ppl who posted after you!!

Do u want to be responsible for the op spending a night in jail? Don't encourage her to be casual about this

And yes I know someone who spent the night in jail. Because driving on a suspended license is a real crime!!

Maybe she'll be lucky and get a nice policeman but most likely she will end up behind bars if she gets pulled over for any reason.

I know someone it happened to.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:

If you read OPs post - she says her notice says that if she misses her court date, her license will be suspended. So take that as a fact.

Good advice would be to assume that suspension is immediate and take action to remedy, before getting on the road again.

1untamedgirl

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:41 pm
amother wrote:

There was a letter going around on whatsapp that the cops were towing cars and arresting people in Brooklyn because of unpaid traffic tickets and fake registrations and other major violations etc. I will try to find the letter to post it here but op would be better off not driving until she gets this settled.

nchr

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
If you read OPs post - she says her notice says that if she misses her court date, her license will be suspended. So take that as a fact.

Good advice would be to assume that suspension is immediate and take action to remedy, before getting on the road again.

Again, you can check the status of your license on the NYS DMV website in the link I previously posted.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 7:06 pm
What causes them to suspend a license? An unpaid moving violation ticket?! One?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics