Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tamiflu does it really work??
1  2  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:05 pm
My daughter came down with the flu on Friday. I'm currently pregnant and the Dr put me and my husband on tamiflu as a preventative. Does it really help?? It's making my daughter so nauseous and she's been vomiting... I have no appetite and am nauseous as well. Is it worth taking? Anyone took it that can weigh in would be a big help. Thanks!

mommy27

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:43 pm
I was reading a book recently about the flu that was critical about Tamiflu being used for those who are already sick, since it doesn't shorten the duration enough to balance out the possible side effects. However, it did say that it seemed to work pretty well as a preventive, so it's probably a good idea to take it, I guess, if you want to try to avoid the flu (and having had it, I always would vote for not getting it).

tweety1

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:45 pm
If taken within 24 of catching the flu was that it makes a big difference. My newborn at the time was on it to prevent and it bh did the job

ice coffee

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 7:51 pm
My doctor is very hesitant to give it because there are some very serious potential side affect ( psychosis, horrible nightmares..). I would stop giving and let it run it’s course

gande

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:04 pm
It worked well for my daughter when taken in 24 hours. I took it for preventive but lower dose than suggested

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:10 pm
I went into labor while I had the flu last year.
I was very concerned about Tamiflu, especially as a Cochrane review identified the drug as probably not helpful and that many of the studies were mysteriously missing. Truthfully, those in the know believe that it probably works just as well as Tylenol...
However, a doctor I trust very much put things into perspective:

"I agree with you that Tamiflu probably doesn't work... BUT on the small chance that it does, you don't want to skip taking it with a day old baby. Give it to the baby and take it yourself. It would be folly not to."

bookie

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:31 pm
I woke up sick on a Wednesday morning took it Wed night and was back to routine Friday morning. I know others that were also back to themselves with in two days of taking it

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:33 pm
bookie wrote:
I woke up sick on a Wednesday morning took it Wed night and was back to routine Friday morning. I know others that were also back to themselves with in two days of taking it

Had the same experience with dd this week...

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:36 pm
I gave tamiflu to my son last year. One dose only. He didn't stop throwing up for 12 hours. He was crying for water the whole time but as soon as he drank, it came right up. It may have shortened the actual flu sickness time but there is no way I would give it again.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:46 pm
I took it recently. The nausea was minor and I managed it by eating well before taking it but I also had insomnia (not fun when suffering from the flu) and anxiety side effects.

It definitely eased my flu symptoms within a few hours of taking it but I took it too late, right at 48 hours, for it to lessen the duration.

momsrus

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 8:57 pm
I took tamiflu when pregnant when my daughter had flu. I didn’t get it

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:01 pm
DD & DH took tamiflu and they where totally back to themselves after 2 days. They did not have any side effects. But my nephew got terrible stomach pains, he was throwing himself. He stopped it after 2 doses.
I heard the flu is pretty mild this year.

cuties' mom

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:15 pm
My kids took tamiflu when they had the flu. They both went from having 104 fever to having no fever within 24 hours from when they started. Once they were fever free and symptom free, they stopped taking it.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:16 pm
Thanks everyone! @amother taupe I sure hope so cuz my DD is do miserable right now and refuses to take the tamiflu:(

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:22 pm
You have to evaluate risk vs benefit when taking Tamiflu. One potential side effect of Tamiflu is that it can affect the GI system. If taking it is making her sicker than not taking it, I would definitely stop.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone! @amother taupe I sure hope so cuz my DD is do miserable right now and refuses to take the tamiflu:(

My daughter came down with the flu on Thursday, and she was miserable. I had to fight with her yesterday to take the tamiflu - she really didn't like the taste. I made sure she had food in her as recommended, and she didn't get nauseous. But she reeaally doesn't like it. Today she woke up feeling much better. No fever even without meds. I didn't fight to give her the tamiflu. I hope it's just quickly passing through her system.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:39 pm
Why don't you give her elderberry syrup? vitamin c? chicken soup?

amother
Black

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 9:47 pm
My pediatrician warned me against taking Tamiflu last year. He said after researching it he concluded its harmful and zero percent effective. Just my two cents.

rachel6543

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:03 pm
I caught a BAD case of the flu last year and also took Tamiflu. Unfortunately I can honestly say I didn’t see any significant improvement taking it in my case. Sad Sad

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Jan 19 2019, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
My pediatrician warned me against taking Tamiflu last year. He said after researching it he concluded its harmful and zero percent effective. Just my two cents.

I'm really surprised by this statement. Tamiflu worked like a miracle for my child two years ago and it did the same for almost everyone I know who used it. You have to take it immediately for it to work - maybe that's what your doctor meant? 24 hours is best although I've read here online you have 48 hours. But my experience has been that if you take it within 24 hours of the first onset of symptoms it works like a charm.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics