Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food Stamps
Previous  1  2

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 4:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Because that person's income is sufficiently low that we, as a society, have determined that their current income cannot meet their nutritional needs.

Because those savings may be needed for rent and other necessary expenses if the person is in need of assistance because of decreased income.

I suppose its possible that there are people out there with hundreds of thousands in savings who apply for SNAP when they have a temporary income reduction. But the cost of ferreting out those few people isn't worth the hassle. And feeding the hungry -- especially hungry children -- is just a no-brainer for me.

I completely agree.

Vintage

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:37 am
amother wrote:
No you obviously don't wish her the best. Because you can't seem to fathom that having money in a retirement fund is not money that should be pulled out for food if it can be avoided. Not everyone has a crisis that can be resolved in a day. She's in her fifties - maybe her dh will never find another job in his field. Actually, probably not.

No, retirement funds should not be pulled out in a crisis. It's there for when you're old and sick and can't work at all anymore. It's there to help you with copays on medicine. Aid care. A haircut. That kind of thing. It sounds like you are young enough that you can't fathom what its like to be old.

And if she has money in the bank - maybe she will need it for a medical crisis. Copays. Deductibles. Or should someone die because they spent their last penny on food?

I agree with you.
Easy for people who aren't close at all to the situation to have opinions that shrink a person in need down to literally nothing.
It is so easy to distance oneself from another's pain--shortfall--need.
Everyone likes to think it could never happen to them, until it does.
None of us thought the rashaim were coming for us either, until they did.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics