Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Understanding the process of hiring an engineer.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:45 am
We are considering building a much needed extension for our house. I realize this is very expensive. We may be able to pull it off, but not forsure. My understanding is that the first step is to hire an engineer to draw plans to give to a contractor for pricing. My question is that considering that it will cost several thousand just for the engineer to draw plans, does it sometimes end up being very wasteful if after he's paid the contractor prices it too high and the job doesn't move forward? Am I missing something in this process?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
We are considering building a much needed extension for our house. I realize this is very expensive. We may be able to pull it off, but not forsure. My understanding is that the first step is to hire an engineer to draw plans to give to a contractor for pricing. My question is that considering that it will cost several thousand just for the engineer to draw plans, does it sometimes end up being very wasteful if after he's paid the contractor prices it too high and the job doesn't move forward? Am I missing something in this process?

Where are you located?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
Where are you located?

5towns

doctorima

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 12:12 pm
First, the plans are generally drawn up by an architect, not an engineer. You only need an engineer if you're doing something that's structurally complicated, such as removing a weight-bearing wall, and possibly for your extension depending on its size and if it's more than one story. But the architect should find the engineer to advise him on these issues.

As for your question, if you hire an architect to design plans and end up not going ahead with them, obviously you won't get your money back, so that money is wasted. In my experience, most contractors are willing to come down to your house at no obligation and for no charge and give you a ballpark estimate based on your described extension.

Keep in mind that they all want to get the job, so it's in their interest to lowball the estimate so you'll go ahead with the job and choose them, and then once they see plans (and often even after the construction starts), they'll tell you that this wasn't included, and they didn't realize you wanted to do that, etc., and the extras start adding up really high really quick.

So add at least 30% and more likely 50% to the estimates you get, and if you can afford that, then it's worth it to pay the architect to make detailed plans. And if not, at least you haven't invested anything but time.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 3:46 pm
On the other hand if you have the architect make the plans and you don’t go ahead you get the blueprints for life. Your finances may change and you can go to a contractor with plans you already have.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 6:57 pm
doctorima wrote:
First, the plans are generally drawn up by an architect, not an engineer. You only need an engineer if you're doing something that's structurally complicated, such as removing a weight-bearing wall, and possibly for your extension depending on its size and if it's more than one story. But the architect should find the engineer to advise him on these issues.

As for your question, if you hire an architect to design plans and end up not going ahead with them, obviously you won't get your money back, so that money is wasted. In my experience, most contractors are willing to come down to your house at no obligation and for no charge and give you a ballpark estimate based on your described extension.

Keep in mind that they all want to get the job, so it's in their interest to lowball the estimate so you'll go ahead with the job and choose them, and then once they see plans (and often even after the construction starts), they'll tell you that this wasn't included, and they didn't realize you wanted to do that, etc., and the extras start adding up really high really quick.

So add at least 30% and more likely 50% to the estimates you get, and if you can afford that, then it's worth it to pay the architect to make detailed plans. And if not, at least you haven't invested anything but time.

Depending on the size of the addition, it might make sense to go to an engineer who can see where the architect over designed and you can save money in the construction. The savings are not insignificant. It's value added engineering.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 7:43 pm
The threshold question would be what you can afford because additions tend to be very expensive - they are more expensive per square foot than new builds. Many people recommend just buying a house that has the footage you need and selling the one you are planning to remodel because remodels are expensive and hellish to go through.

If the addition includes a bathroom or kitchen, even more expensive :-)

If any of your neighbors has done an addition recently, you could ask them to get some sense of costs in your locale to see if you currently can afford to expand.

An architect is absolutely necessary to draw up the plans because you need to get them permitted and specific plans are necessary. These types of plans are also necessary in order to get bids from contractors that are apples to apples because the plans will be very specific and detailed. Different types of construction and finishes will have different costs - even putting aside the cost of materials. For example, tile installation is expensive and the design of the tile itself is a cost factor - that is above and beyond the cost of the actual tile you might choose.

If there is something that requires a structural engineer, the architect would let you know and get those services as part of drawing up the plan. A good architect will also know how to best utilize space to meet your needs and also how to design to save money so that any money is spent in the wisest possible manner. There are lots of really poorly designed spaces.

Having a contractor design anything is really a bad decision - they are not experts in design.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:13 pm
Sometimes it depends on things like the size of the addition. I have drawn concept plans for additions less than 1,000 square feet where the permit drawings were then done by an engineer, and am currently redesigning a larger space (not a residence) where I'm working from an engineer's drawings. No architect.

Caveat: I do not know the laws for this in New York.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 20 2019, 8:17 pm
DH is an engineer. He engineered our home after the architect drew up plans. He saved us significant money because the architect over engineered the project.

DH normally does this for commercial buildings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics