Home

So I'm not crazy
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

allthingsblue

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 12:40 pm
Amid the hullabaloo over the high school MAGA students, I watched he video and could not figure out how the "smirking student" was being disrespectful at all, certainly not on a level deserving such public attention and hate.
I thought I must be crazy, because everyone else was going nuts about the disrespect.
Now I know I'm not the only one, and this story really angered me. It's terrible for a high school student to be bullied in this way just to fit an agenda.
https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/580897/

tigerwife

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 12:46 pm
People look for excuses to bully. When they can pull “offense” and “racism” out of a hat, they feel not only justified but heroic in their vile verbal abuse and threatening tactics.

American politics is a sick scene to witness today. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Ema of 4

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 12:57 pm
Do you have a link for the video?

allthingsblue

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 1:02 pm
No but you can google it.

Squishy

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 1:05 pm
I saw another video of liberal teenagers pushing and bullying an old man protesting. The teens were aggressively dancing around him in a circle and knocking his signs away. He is a conservative.

The silence and double standard in the media is sickening.

I really hope the boys from Covington Catholic High School and the school sue for defamation. Maybe that might chill the fake news for twisting and spinning without regard to the truth.

amother

Teal

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 1:33 pm
Yes! There’s gotta be some accountability!

itsmeima

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 1:38 pm
what I've been wondering... Why do some stories go viral while others don't?

ohmygosh

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 2:31 pm
I also love how to they like to equate supporting Trump with being a racist. The media figure if they can brand all Trump supporters as racists, no one will listen to the actual reasons why we may want to support Trump.

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 2:43 pm
itsmeima wrote:
what I've been wondering... Why do some stories go viral while others don't?

It often has to do with what else is going on, and there are plenty of theories about why this incident caused so much craziness.

I generally don't believe in conspiracy theories, aside from Princess Diana being murdered. Conspiracies require silence, and most people can't keep their mouths shut for very long. I mean, the conspiracy to take down Gawker Media was perfect, but even Peter Thiel couldn't resist giving it away in the end.

But here are some of the factors that affected behavior over the weekend, even if they aren't truly organized conspiracies:

The Buzzfeed Brouhaha
For those of you who admirably don't follow every stupid event in politics, Buzzfeed Media published a story last week based on unnamed sources that alleged that President Trump had ordered his former lawyer, Michael Cohen, to lie to federal authorities. There were several major timeline issues with the story from the beginning, but on Friday, Robert Mueller himself issued a statement debunking the story.

That's a huge, huge spanking for journalists. In fact, I can't recall a special counsel or the equivalent ever rebuking journalists like that, even in the Watergate days. Since the Buzzfeed story had been breathlessly repeated and discussed ad infinitum on cable news channels, everyone was equally disgusted with all the outlets that had repeated what was a questionable story from the start. Journalists from across the spectrum were getting heat from not only those opposed to whatever viewpoint they espoused, but from their own audiences, too.

So the emergence of a new outrage story took a lot of heat off journalists who could spend their day tweeting how disgusted they were with these kids, thus avoiding accusations that they had neglected to do the slightest due diligence on the Buzzfeed piece.

Of course, we see how that worked out. By Sunday at noon, verified journalists on Twitter were trying to walk back the #CovingtonCatholic story, and their audiences were having none of it. I mean, I found myself not only tweeting snarkily to Kassy Dillon (Daily Wire) and Guy Benson (Townhall/Fox), but getting lots of "likes" and picking up about 20 new followers as a result.

The general mood on all sides was, "You know what? Maybe Trump is right. You're all the enemy of the people if you'd pile on a bunch of kids without seeing more than a 9-second video clip."

The Anti-Catholic Angle
The other sub-text has to do with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. As you may have read, she has missed oral arguments following surgery in December, and she has cancelled a number of speeches and appearances for the coming months. There are also unsourced reports that she is much sicker than has been acknowledged.

This has fueled speculation and concern over her possible successor. Amy Coney Barrett is considered the most likely nominee in the event that Ginsburg were to step down. She is a devout Roman Catholic; has written extensively on reconciling one's responsibilities as a judge with one's faith; and was the subject of Constitutionally-suspect questionning when nominated to the federal judiciary.

More recently, Kamala Harris (D-CA), who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020, and Maizie Hirono (D-HI) attacked a judicial nominee for belonging to Knights of Columbus, a Roman Catholic fraternal organizations. This led to a flurry of publicity when the Senate passed a resolution condemning religious tests for Catholics appointees.

Again, while not a conspiracy in the strictest sense, many non-religious people (by whom media outlets are dominated) are eager to push stories questionning the motives, independence, and goodwill of religious people in general and orthodox Christians, in specific.

I happen to believe that the religious versus anti-religious divide is the underlying cause of the so-called culture wars. Cultural and political alliances are increasingly shifting from specific religions (e.g., Jews, Christians, etc.) to religious people versus non-religious people.

Witness the complete befuddlement of a NYT writer on finding out that the school at which Karen Pence teaches art twice a week does not permit open endorsement of or involvment in LGBT relationships. You can argue, of course, over their theology, but that wasn't what triggered the reporter. Rather, she was completely amazed that a Christian school would teach their version of Christianity.

So the #CovingtonCatholic boys hit everyone's hot buttons while providing a welcome distraction from the embarrassment of the journalistic community. Cui bono.

naturalmom5

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 2:50 pm
If they can do it to the Vice President's wife , why not some poor high school student..

http://time.com/5504621/karen-.....ool-lgbtq/

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 3:08 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If they can do it to the Vice President's wife , why not some poor high school student..

http://time.com/5504621/karen-.....ool-lgbtq/

It was interesting to see the reaction to this among gay conservatives. The reflex you might expect -- defending the right of a religious school to teach whatever it wants -- was secondary to another point: the school in question is a K-8 school.

Gay conservatives were outraged that kids that young should be encouraged to even think about s-xual preferences or be prompted to notice the s-xual preferences of their teachers. While some were slightly more willing to consider the needs of LGBT high school students, the overwhelming reaction was, "Until you're old enough for s-x, you don't need an orientation!"

Can't argue too much . . .

ectomorph

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 3:12 pm
The media is truly the enemy of the people.

The sickest part is Michael Hodges. Boy in Ohio incorrectly identified as boy in video. Probably using Google images.

His acceptance to colleges were almost pulled and his family threatened with violence.

sequoia

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 3:23 pm
The media is the enemy of the people?

Politkovskaya disagrees.

My view of the importance of a press unhampered by the government will not change, no matter how much I despise certain knee-jerk reactions or editorial positions of the MSM.

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 3:34 pm
sequoia wrote:
My view of the importance of a press unhampered by the government will not change, no matter how much I despise certain knee-jerk reactions or editorial positions of the MSM.

I think the sentiment is based on a layered interpretation of the phrase.

Most sane people believe in the importance of a free press and certainly don't literally believe that the press is the enemy of the people.

The problem is that current media outlets and personalities aren't acting as a "press," free or otherwise. At the national level, they're not really investigating anything or even analyzing anything. They're basically hanging out on Twitter and reposting op-eds.

There's a joke that Julian Assange is the last investigative reporter left in America. It's obviously not meant to be taken literally -- the point is that the kind of detailed digging and cross-referencing that people like Ben Bradlee made famous isn't found much at all on the national level. Local reporters, interestingly, actually do investigative reporting, and it's amazing to see how these little small-town news organizations actually do more original work that the big cheeses.

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:18 pm
ITA with the OP. I was watching the video, thinking, “Okaaay... a bit mocking, but nothing I wouldn’t expect from typical teens, but let’s wait and see when the ‘confrontation’ starts...” and I watched the whole three minutes without seeing any kind of confrontation at all.

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:40 pm
This is Blackout day at Covington. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01.....os-photos/

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:48 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is Blackout day at Covington. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01.....os-photos/

They look like a bunch of monkeys LOL

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:49 pm
Btw, this should probably be a spin-off, but I also don’t realize what was so wrong with the Gillette ad.
So let’s at least honestly admit that there is outrage over stupidity on both sides of the aisle.
Ahhh, the joys of a rich, privileged country that has to look for problems where there are none... Wouldn’t Somalia kill to have our problems...

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
They look like a bunch of monkeys LOL

Yes, Blackface is very funny

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:51 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Yes, Blackface is very funny

What is blackface? How does it differ from monkeys? Why are the rest of their bodies painted if they are just going for "blackface"?
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h