Home

So I'm not crazy
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
What is blackface? How does it differ from monkeys?

Are you a troll? Are you twelve?

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:55 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Are you a troll? Are you twelve?

You say they are blackface but their bodies are painted making them look like monkeys and are acting like monkeys as well. so what is blackface and how are they different than monkeys?

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
You say they are blackface but their bodies are painted making them look like monkeys. so what is blackface and how are they different than monkeys?

Why don't you Google blackface and see what it is, I shouldn't have to explain something so basic. And it doesn't matter that bodies are painted, but good try anonymous troll.

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:04 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Why don't you Google blackface and see what it is, I shouldn't have to explain something so basic. And it doesn't matter that bodies are painted, but good try anonymous troll.

Hey, I only learned what blackface is a few months ago when Meghan Kelley was fired. It’s possible she sincerely doesn’t know.

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:05 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

I googled and got this-- https://www.ebay.com/p/3hole-S.....amp;chn=ps

and this-- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rot.....thena=true

and this-- https://www.gearbest.com/men-s.....zREALw_wcB

https://www.essentialapparel.c....._wcB#63668

Are these white boys allowed to wear it or is it only reserved for black people? Are white people allowed to wear anything black like a black dress or black tights or would that be too much for you as well? Or does it only offend you when white people wear black paint?

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:29 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Hey, I only learned what blackface is a few months ago when Meghan Kelley was fired. It’s possible she sincerely doesn’t know.

Read her post below. She knows. She’s enjoying antagonizing me, or she’s a troll, or both.

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:31 pm
Amother Brown, I want to believe your questions are sincere, but you are pushing it. So here goes: blackface is an offensive thing people do where they pretend to be black by painting themselves or whatever and then make a racial mocking spectacle of it.
Now you know (if you didn’t before).
No more excuses.

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:31 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Read her post below. She knows. She’s enjoying antagonizing me, or she’s a troll, or both.

I am asking legitimate questions but it seems like you don't have any answers so you resort to ad hominem attacks instead.

ectomorph

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:38 pm
If Meghan Kelly wasn't aware it was offensive, it must not have become offensive until recently.

vintagebknyc

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
If Meghan Kelly wasn't aware it was offensive, it must not have become offensive until recently.

It’s been offensive since the last century

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:48 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Amother Brown, I want to believe your questions are sincere, but you are pushing it. So here goes: blackface is an offensive thing people do where they pretend to be black by painting themselves or whatever and then make a racial mocking spectacle of it.
Now you know (if you didn’t before).
No more excuses.

Again, why is it more offensive than wearing a black ski mask or black clothing?
We live in a time where men can be women and women can be men so why can't white people be black and black people be white (using paint as well)? And why can't they just wear black paint to represent monkeys without any other meaning?
And if its not ok for white people to wear black paint then why is it ok for Hollywood to use non-Jewish actors to portray Jewish actors instead of just using Jews?

allthingsblue

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:49 pm
what does 2012 have to do with 2018?
And what does blackface have to do with a teen looking awkward and uncertain in the face of odd/threatening behavior?

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 5:52 pm
Ok vintagebknyc, am with you now

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 6:01 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is Blackout day at Covington. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01.....os-photos/

I'm neither a troll nor 12. There are plenty of photos like this. Why? Because the school colors are black and white. There are even photos out there with kids wearing black and white!

To quote Douglas Murray, "There is a supply and demand problem with bigotry."

amother

Brown

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 6:10 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Ok vintagebknyc, am with you now

My questions are legit, if you can't explain then say so and move on. Maybe someone else can explain the b.s. going on in America today with the constant attacks against white people for every little thing they do to the point where they are walking on eggshells which is abuse.

PinkFridge

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 7:26 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is Blackout day at Covington. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01.....os-photos/

I can't open the link but I can imagine. Not relevant to this discussion though.
Hugh Hewitt read an open letter written by the Covington student. What's especially sobering is the early "better be politically correct conclusion jumping" including the Archdiocese slamming the school.

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
My questions are legit, if you can't explain then say so and move on. Maybe someone else can explain the b.s. going on in America today with the constant attacks against white people for every little thing they do to the point where they are walking on eggshells which is abuse.

I'm going to attempt to address your question, Brown Amother. I don't care if you're one of the #CovingtonCatholic boys who snuck onto Imamother as a lark; there are a lot of people out there asking the same questions.

It'll be longer than anybody really wants to read, but not everything can be discussed adequately in little one-line zingers. Sorry. These are my opinions, obviously, but I don't make them up out of thin air, so I'll try to source things as much as practical. You can follow up to your degree of interest.

Race in America
Today is the official celebration of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday, and the world he entered was much different than the one today, and not in a good way when it came to racial equality. The Civil Rights Movement of the 50s and 60s -- of whom he was one of the figureheads -- tackled specific grievances, such as separate accommodations for blacks; voting laws designed to target blacks; segregated schools and universities, etc.

As these specific wrongs were gradually corrected in the late 60s and throughout the 70s, the focus evolved to eradicating prejudices and stereotypes about blacks. Unlike the legal and policy battles that Dr. King had fought, these were cultural battles.

As a child, I remember watching Julia on TV, about a black woman who worked as a nurse. Showing a black woman as a respected professional was incredibly progressive at the time! Dick Gregory and Richard Pryor joked about racial issues. And despite his current disgrace, which I'm not excusing, Bill Cosby probably did more to advance racial understanding than virtually anyone at the time.

Included in that "education" was what blacks found hurtful, including many of the ways their experiences had been used to mock or degrade them. Some of these were tropes from entertainment, which included the vaudeville tradition of white performers putting black makeup on their faces and acting stupid or like buffoons. There was also the "Magical Negro," the "Black Best Friend," the "Thug," and the "Domestic." African-American Tropes

It is worth your while to read a little about these tropes, because they're still around, going strong. The irony of people getting het up over even the suggestion of blackface is that the same people are often utterly unaware of how these tropes make it into popular entertainment today. In his Academy Awards monologue a few years ago, comedian Chris Rock satirized these archetypes, and it appeared that 90 percent of the audience at the event completely missed the point.

So, yes, blackface is offensive because its historical intent was to mock black people. And, yes, it is worthwhile to educate yourself about some of these tropes. But please feel free to roll your eyes at anyone who calls you out because you don't know the history of blackface in vaudeville while they simultaneously cue up The Help on Netflix without recognizing the tropes of the Magical Negro and the Domestic.

Where Change Has Taken Us
So is there still the same amount of racism in America as in 1960? Is it just expressed differently? And why do white people seem constantly under attack not only from people of color but also roving bands of other white people who consider themselves racially sensitive?

In his book, Coming Apart, statistician Charles Murray dissects some of the changes that have occurred in America since the Civil Rights Movement. The book is well worth anyone's time, but I'll summarize one of his theses:

As more opportunities have opened up to people of color, the divisions in America are shifting. For example, a white college-educated person who works in high-tech and lives in an upscale urban neighborhood is likely to be more similar in outlook, values, and priorities to a black college-educated person who works/lives in the same environment than he is to another white person who has a high school education and works in manufacturing.

There are all kinds of statistics that bear this out -- one is the increase in interracial marriage. College-educated people, in particular, are not limited to their neighborhood or ethnic enclave when selecting a spouse. They are likely to meet their spouses in college, graduate school, or through hobbies or activities that are not racially segregated, but are strictly segregated by socio-economic status.

That sounds nicer to our ears than segregation based on skin color, but it has some unintended consequences which aren't really relevant to this discussion.

So If Things Are Getting Better, Why Are People So Mad?
The first reason, as Murray demonstrates statistically, is that the better we do at eliminating actual discrimination, the more we must face the fact that differences in outcomes are not entirely racially-based.

When people like Larry Elder and Ben Shapiro claim that you can succeed in America if you "finish high school; don't have a child before the age of 20; and get married before having children," they are relying on Murray's data.

Is there such a thing as "white privilege"? Yes. But it's actually offset by "two-biological-parent privilege." Murray shows that a white child growing up with a mother who was not married to the father at the time of his birth is statistically less likely to "succeed" by various markers of well-being than a black child growing up in poverty with his married, biological parents.

This is not welcome news to people who would prefer to blame amorphous racial issues. It flies in the face of what they learned about race in America, and it carries a decidedly moral judgment.

The second reason is that our socio-political system has been engineered to take advantage of the existing racial and religious divisions. But when you eliminate overt, in-your-face racism, those paradigms collapse. Now the white guy and the black guy with high school educations who work in an Amazon warehouse have more in common politically than they do with others of their race who live in urban areas and maintain the Amazon servers.

This is having more and more electoral consequences. I pointed out this trend shortly before the 2016 election and was mocked by a few posters. But 2018 proved me right. Historically, blacks have voted for Republican candidates at around 11 percent. But in Texas, black men voted for Ted Cruz at 18 percent. Cruz won by less than 3 percent. In Florida, blacks voted for Ron De Santis at a rate of 14 percent. He won by 1 percent over Andrew Gillum.

In other words, even a statistical sliver of black voters changing party affiliation or voting unexpectedly for a different candidate can have significant repercussions. That is particularly distressing for politicians and activists who have spent decades basing their power on racial and ethnic "communities" rather than socio-economic groups, and they have a vested interest in insisting that everyone remain in his lane.

As Thomas Sowell wrote, “Racism is not dead, but it is on life support — kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as ‘racists’”

I recently saw a video of a black man around my age (58) who claimed he's worked with whites all his life and hadn't met a true racist. However, he said, a lot of times blacks and whites are "just uncomfortable around each other because they haven't had much experience." His conclusion was that we often identify discomfort as racism, and our goal now should be to help one another feel comfortable rather than constantly analyzing every encounter for evidence of racism. I think that's excellent advice.

Ravenclaw

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:44 pm
Fox. No words. Loved reading that, so informative and true.
That’s why I believe that affirmative action programs aren’t beneficial to anyone and it would be much more useful to instead concentrate on scholarships to help bridge the socioeconomic gap.

sequoia

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:44 pm
Fox wrote:
not everything can be discussed adequately in little one-line zingers.

Scratching Head

Sure it can Wink

(Kidding. I have my own soapboxes, like why Harry Potter turns children into bad readers.)

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:47 pm
sequoia wrote:
Scratching Head

Sure it can Wink

(Kidding. I have my own soapboxes, like why Harry Potter turns children into bad readers.)

Really? Can you start a thread about that? Seriously -- I'm curious!

(Plus, if you write a long screed about the topic, it'll make me look less opinionated!)
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h