Home

So I'm not crazy
Previous  1, 2, 3

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 9:53 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
That’s why I believe that affirmative action programs aren’t beneficial to anyone and it would be much more useful to instead concentrate on scholarships to help bridge the socioeconomic gap.

Another interesting statistic: Racial minorities who attend law school are more successful over the long-run if they attend second-tier schools where they may be slightly overqualified than first-tier schools where they are slightly underqualified.

There's also evidence of this in STEM fields, only it applies to all students, not just racial minorities.

dancingqueen

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:04 pm
Fox, you may be right about socioeconomic factors being a more important factor to success than skin color. BUT that doesn’t mean there is no white privilege. I’m a young(ish) white woman. The world is a very friendly place for me: people let me cut the line, give me samples, are kind and solicitous towards me. I never get followed around a store suspecting I might shoplift and if pulled over I don’t usually even get a ticket. There are definitely subtle and not subtle ways blacks get discriminated against. And for men the differences can be even more stark.

Fox

Post  Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:05 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Fox, you may be right about socioeconomic factors being a more important factor to success than skin color. BUT that doesn’t mean there is no white privilege. I’m a young(ish) white woman. The world is a very friendly place for me: people let me cut the line, give me samples, are kind and solicitous towards me. I never get followed around a store suspecting I might shoplift and if pulled over I don’t usually even get a ticket. There are definitely subtle and not subtle ways blacks get discriminated against. And for men the differences can be even more stark.

Huh? I was referencing specific measures of socio-economic well-being.

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

DrMom

Post  Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:16 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
This is Blackout day at Covington. https://heavy.com/news/2019/01.....otos/

Black and white are their school colors. Kids painted themselves in their school colors to support their sports teams. They did not put on "blackface" with any racial connotation.

Just like this Swedish fan painted her face blue and yellow:

Or this Eagles football fan:

DrMom

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:05 am
The media smear and social media mobbing of this teenager and his family is completely disgusting.

The more I hear about this incident and the reaction to it, the more disgusted I become.

The US media is taking lessons from "Pallywood."

imasoftov

Post  Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:48 am
ectomorph wrote:
If Meghan Kelly wasn't aware it was offensive, it must not have become offensive until recently.

Or she was aware, but thought consequences were for other people.
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h