Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
It's so cold now that....
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Surrendered

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:32 pm
I had a water leak today at the outside door of our apartment, from the cealing next to the outside, the water from leakage got frozen to ice. So entrance is a sheet of ice.

Surrendered

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:34 pm
I had two weddings to attend tonight, was so not in the mood of getting out in this brutal cold. I just wanted to go "undercover"- cover under blanket...

Dini

Post Mon, Jan 21 2019, 11:35 pm
We lost power Sad

dankbar

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 1:36 am
My son is a site manager for flooring. He arrived at site...generator broke down from cold....no power or heating at an open job site. Workers just went home.
Pails of glue to stick floorboards got frozen.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:03 am
....we swam at the beach. At 6pm.

Australia is in a bit of heat wave, there was some discussion that some of the trains may have to be stopped if the railway tracks buckle from.the heat.

I just think it's soon amazing all the different weather at the same time.

Vintage

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:25 am
flowerpower wrote:
It’s so cold that my sink pipes froze. We now have no water by one sink.

This works: Put a hair dryer set on high at the spot the pipe is "sticking" keep it there while having the faucet open. This will take a little bit of detective work on your part to track down the cold spot/spots--usually brought on by a draft or a section of the pipe that is nearer an outside wall. A big one is any place the water pipe bends. You'd be surprised, it doesn't take too much if the temps are in the negatives.

Good idea to keep the cupboard doors below the faucets open at night so the heat can circulate better.

I've done the hair dryer method repeatedly--it really does work. Hopefully the sticking point is where you can reach it easily; if you just can't seem to track it down after a good while with the dryer and you suspect the problem is in the basement, and then you don't want to do more detective work in the basement.... well, it has to be dealt with because you really don't want a burst pipe. A plumber will come and uses a machine w/an electrical unit on the pipe that does the same thing as a dryer: Thaws it enough so the water can run and the ice chrystals will flow. Difference is the hair dryer costs you a few cents plus your time and the plumber will cost in the several hundreds (about 15 yrs ago I was charged $650 for this service, which did not include anything other than thawing the pipes).

Good Luck!

Beingreal

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:34 am
Wanna send me a ticket to australia?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:06 am
I sent the kids to school without coats. It’s sunny here. Pretty cold at night though.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:48 am
The African violets on my window died.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:53 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
....we swam at the beach. At 6pm.

Australia is in a bit of heat wave, there was some discussion that some of the trains may have to be stopped if the railway tracks buckle from.the heat.

I just think it's soon amazing all the different weather at the same time.

We're in the freezing NY during our summer vacation. Confused

chicco

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:04 am
...the realization that I needed gas made me cry.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:33 am
A wet shirt fell outside on the way to the laundry room and immediately froze to the ground.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:01 am
I have a fuzzy chenille robe that is usually too warm to wear....I wore it last night, and with that, got under the covers, shivering, until I warmed up.

(that was after going to pick up DD from a friend's house - studying for mid-term exams, and the car took too long to warm up, and even when it did, the cold was already in my bones....)

chicco

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:31 am
Niagra Falls has frozen- https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/0......html

sarah58

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:44 am
my feet were numb by the time I arrived to work!

Aylat

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:56 am
My DH put on a coat! Until about 4 degrees Celsius he is still in a short-sleeved shirt.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:57 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
A wet shirt fell outside on the way to the laundry room and immediately froze to the ground.

Wow, that is cold!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:03 am
Aylat wrote:
My DH put on a coat! Until about 4 degrees Celsius he is still in a short-sleeved shirt.

Mine put on a mid-weight jacket, replacing his usual winter windbreaker.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:25 am
flowerpower wrote:
It’s so cold that my sink pipes froze. We now have no water by one sink.

BTDT. As suggested, blow dry, keep cupboards open. Also, there's some plug in something that we bought at Home Depot and keep plugged in under the sink and b"H hasn't frozen since.

My immediate reaction to the thread title was too google "It was so cold that..." but my filter's not letting me open any of the links.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 12:17 pm
Keep it coming! Makes me feel not so alone in the cold!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics