Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostess gift for the rich
1  2  3  Next

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 5:46 am
What to give?

They are hosting your guests for upcoming simcha.
They live in large homes close to shul & host guests regularly.

What to give? Up to 15 dollars?

Any ideas????

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 5:48 am
A small box of good quality chocolates?

Not sure the fact that they are rich matters so much.

Last edited by DrMom on Tue, Jan 22 2019, 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 5:49 am
flowers, chocolate or some fruit?

salt

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:01 am
Makes no diff if they're rich or not. It's just a token of thanks. Box of chocolates, bottle of wine, etc.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:26 am
As a rule I do more of an affort for a poor

DVOM

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:47 am
Ruchel wrote:
As a rule I do more of an effort for a poor

I usually give the same thing to everyone that I'm gifting, though I'll admit to feeling a bit more intimidated if the recipient is wealthy.

A little off the topic, but I have a very wealthy relative who told me once that she wishes she got the simple shalach manos that everyone else gets instead of the fancy schmancy stuff she usually gets. Not that she doesn't appreciate the high-end chocolates and wines, but it's so uncomfortable to have your wealth dictate your social status. In one house where she had stopped to give shalach manos, the husband started to hand her a shalach manos from the pile on the dining room table, the wife stopped him, ran to a side table where there was a much smaller pile of much larger, fancier shalach manos. My cousin would not have minded getting something nicer if they were close friends and it was a mark of friendship, but they weren't. People assume they need to impress her, and it hurts, and makes it harder to develop genuine relationships.

To answer OP's question, you could give chocolates or fruit, or I've seen people give small judaica/household items like a wooden bencher holder or a salt and pepper shaker set.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 7:24 am
I give the same mm to everyone, though I rarely give more than 5/8 and some of those are the kids things for school (1 per child, and very cheap, not those I give adults)

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 7:25 am
Flowers, wine or chocolate.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 7:51 am
DVOM wrote:
I usually give the same thing to everyone that I'm gifting, though I'll admit to feeling a bit more intimidated if the recipient is wealthy.

A little off the topic, but I have a very wealthy relative who told me once that she wishes she got the simple shalach manos that everyone else gets instead of the fancy schmancy stuff she usually gets. Not that she doesn't appreciate the high-end chocolates and wines, but it's so uncomfortable to have your wealth dictate your social status. In one house where she had stopped to give shalach manos, the husband started to hand her a shalach manos from the pile on the dining room table, the wife stopped him, ran to a side table where there was a much smaller pile of much larger, fancier shalach manos. My cousin would not have minded getting something nicer if they were close friends and it was a mark of friendship, but they weren't. People assume they need to impress her, and it hurts, and makes it harder to develop genuine relationships.

To answer OP's question, you could give chocolates or fruit, or I've seen people give small judaica/household items like a wooden bencher holder or a salt and pepper shaker set.

It could be your relative gives out elaborate MM. We give out fairly expensive MM because DH likes to give a nice bottle, and put I together a regular nice MM in keeping with community standards. With the bottle, they are over the top. In return people feel obligated to stretch themselves which is not our intention.

I am with Ruchel on this one in that I think greater effort should be made to the needy.

OP has some good suggestions already. Another one is a nice fancy cake.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:52 am
DrMom wrote:
A small box of good quality chocolates?

Not sure the fact that they are rich matters so much.

This. You give according to your fiscal ability, not theirs.

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:04 am
Bottle of wine. That's what Ive done for all my Simchas. Wrapped classy, easy.

You could also order babke from those specialty bakeries they're around $15-20 each.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:35 am
Orchids are a popular gift as well around here. Otherwise a bottle of wine.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 9:46 am
I've done alot of hosting over the years (though we are far from wealthy) because we live near a Simcha hall (actually, I moved last year and once again, I live near a Simcha hall.)

I'm happy to host and I don't expect any gifts. But here are some I've gotten over the years:

*wine
*chocolates
*book from local Judaica store
*decorative havdalah candle
*candy dish
*set of dip bowls
*glass salad bowl
*set of cutesy measuring spoons (never used those)
*salad servers
*orchid plants
*glass tray
*bottle of perfume (regifted that one to someone who was hosting us who collects perfumes)

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:03 am
A fancy reed diffuser

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:55 pm
OP here.

reason I mentioned that they were rich is b/c they don't need another candy dish or chachka, not b/c I didn't think they don't deserve a gift cz they're rich or have means. I want to give them something but just didn't want to give something that would be apprciated.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

reason I mentioned that they were rich is b/c they don't need another candy dish or chachka, not b/c I didn't think they don't deserve a gift cz they're rich or have means. I want to give them something but just didn't want to give something that would be apprciated.

Something yummy is almost always appreciated. So are flowers. I'm pretty poor and I wouldn't want a candy dish or chachka either...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:01 pm
Anything that won’t last.
Chocolates
Flowers
I like the havdalla candle idea. It’s cute and practical. Everyone needsa new one eventually.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:14 pm
A nice havdala candle or even havdala set (candle and besamim) are nice.
We have also given a nice but relatively cheap set (glass/crystal)of candlesticks. Either for travel or for when you have guests.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:28 pm
I wouldnt give a $15 bottle of wine to someone wealthy.
Rather stick with chocolate, fancy cookies, macaroons etc.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:51 pm
If the lady is a reader, get her the latest good book that she can always exchange.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics