Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Radiation Therapist

cookies6

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 6:44 am
Anyone here a radiation therapist? My daughter is considering this as a career option and we have some questions.

cookies6

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:38 am
bump

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:10 am
Do you mean she will a radiologist who gives radiation treatment like for cancer?

cookies6

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:15 am
correct

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:56 am
My son had TBI. He was caged in. Had to stand still for 15 mins. 7 min. One side then other side. Nobody can be in room. We were able to watch him from screen outside. He was a tzaddik. Didn't hear a boo from him. We gave him something to watch to distract him. He was 5 at the time. He had it 3x a day for 4 days consecutively. Makes very weak after that. He did not want to share with me what he felt while he it was happening. They say kids don't feel anything but I'm not sure.
According to hospital they say it makes 100% sterile, but than a debate happened when one dr said he knows kids that ended up having children later. We got a bracha from our Rebbe who told us to go ahead with the radiation. It could stunt growth.

By girls to save fertility, if they need to do full body. They can keep ovaries outside....

What other info do you need?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:59 am
One woman told me her breast felt like being fried on radiation.

One mom told me , her dgtr lies bc it supposed to shrink her brain tumor. She is petrified & yells & screams. Her head gets locked in.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 12:20 pm
There is a woman in my community who is a dosimetrist. She works with the doctors to determine the amount of radiation the patient gets. I think she really enjoys her job. She was in mishpacha magazine a while back.

http://www.mishpacha.com/Brows.....icine

proudima

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 1:45 pm
Me!!!! For 20 years!!! Love it. Pm me and I'll give you my email address.
A real zchus to work in this job - huge job satisfaction.

proudima

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 2:00 pm
And wow - just wow - for such a short thread there is a lot of misinformation on here.

Radiation therapists work with radiation oncologists.

Dosimetrists as a stand-alone profession don't exist anywhere but the US. (In other countries the radiation therapists generally do what a dosimetrist in the US does).

In short - PM me.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 3:00 pm
Goldenrod, what on earth do your posts have to do with the OPs question?

cookies6

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 3:38 pm
Thank you @proudima. I will dm you.

I'm really not sure what that other response was about. Dont know

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:09 pm
I'm a teacher. My co teacher just came back to teaching after over 15 years as a radiation therapist. She mentioned once that she had a hard time with shabbos and Yom tov schedules and taking off. I dont know if this is a factor to consider.

betweenall12

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:35 pm
Dr.mimi.k. On Instagram is a radiation oncologist. She is always talking about practicality wise how it works when she’s a mom and raising a family maybe message her on Instagram?

cookies6

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:51 pm
betweenall12 wrote:
Dr.mimi.k. On Instagram is a radiation oncologist. She is always talking about practicality wise how it works when she’s a mom and raising a family maybe message her on Instagram?

Yes, I know who she is. But she's a doctor. My daughter is considering something else entirely. Thanks though.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:29 pm
Just telling you other side of this profession. Humans are not objects. They have feelings. Fears. Pain. I understand that they have to do their job administering the radiation but let them have a glimpse in the patient's world as well. Anybody in health care profession that does their job with a warm heart, it makes a huge difference in patient's life & might make them more cooperative as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics