Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pay babysitter when you don’t send?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:28 am
married2020 wrote:
If I’m sending for extra hours she would charge me. It’s a pay by hour kind of job. I treated my sitter very well! Always gave nice gifts Chanukah Purim etc. I just don’t think they should charge when the child doesn’t come. A week isn’t that long, it’s a normal amount of time to go away for. Longer then that I can understand.

We can agree to disagree Smile.

I pay tuition for my kids whether they come or not. I think alot depends on whether this is a steady babysitter, or a drop-in situation. I don't view them as pay-by-the-hour if it's steady - they depend on a certain income from the steady kids.

Imagine a sitter has 6 kids, and one month, 4 of those kids' parents take them out for a week's vacation. That's a huge drop in the sitter's monthly income.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:29 am
momsrus wrote:
Do you get paid when you take off?

I certainly get paid when I show up to work and there is nothing for me to do.

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
So if your kids miss school or playgroup for a week you also deduct that week from tuition???? Its the same thing. You can't take advantage of babysitters.

If it’s a playgroup that is hourly, yes. I paid my daughters sitter by the hour, if she stayed longer I paid more.
Its not taking advantage. It’s called getting paid per hour.
They’re entitled to their policies, I still find it cold.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:31 am
momsrus wrote:
Do you get paid when you take off?

Yes, actually. I have a nice vacation package that is part of my salary/job entitlement.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
She never said anything about missing days. I feel we should pay for the week we take off but my dh doesn’t think it’s necessary so I’m trying to get a feel for what’s right.

Do you pay her at the end of the week for that weeks work. Or up front for the week?

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:33 am
When I worked in a job where I was paid hourly, I did not get paid when I went away on vacation for a week. No one felt bad for me and I didn’t feel bad for myself either- I knew it was a job wher I get paid for the hours I worked.
Currently I get paid by the week so if I come a little late etc the pay doesn’t get deducted. If I stay extra I don’t get paid though.
It’s what you sign up for.
Babysitting is generally an hourly job.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:36 am
married2020 wrote:
When I worked in a job where I was paid hourly, I did not get paid when I went away on vacation for a week. No one felt bad for me and I didn’t feel bad for myself either- I knew it was a job wher I get paid for the hours I worked.
Currently I get paid by the week so if I come a little late etc the pay doesn’t get deducted. If I stay extra I don’t get paid though.
It’s what you sign up for.
Babysitting is generally an hourly job.

The parallel is off. You chose to go on vacation.

This would be like your boss going on vacation, and not paying you as result.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
Do you pay her at the end of the week for that weeks work. Or up front for the week?

At the end of the week.

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:42 am
amother wrote:
The parallel is off. You chose to go on vacation.

This would be like your boss going on vacation, and not paying you as result.

My point was it’s what you signed up for. When you take a job you know how you will be paid. I wasn’t making a comparison to her going away w her baby for a week
So if a sitter makes such a rule upfront obviously pay her.
But I am not in favor of this policy. That’s all

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:43 am
Married2020, its not the same as you going on vacation and not getting paid. The babysitter isnt going on vacation....

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:43 am
Chayalle wrote:
It depends on your arrangement with the babysitter. When I sent my daughter (she's 10 now, so it's been awhile) to the babysitter, she had a weekly minimum. Let's say that was $100 - If I didn't send, I paid at least the minimum. If I did send, sometimes I paid more than that, depending on the number of hours I sent.

I considered that a fair arrangement. The babysitter needs to make a Parnassa even when I go on vacation....

IIRC she did not charge the minimum if my child was ill or if she took off for some reason. The minimum applied if I was voluntarily not bringing my child.

This makes sense. It’s a clear policy and she is willing to bend

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:44 am
Married2020, a babysitter is entitled to have any policy she wishes. Usually they make these policies after having some bad experience of people taking advantage.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:45 am
married2020 wrote:
My point was it’s what you signed up for. When you take a job you know how you will be paid. I wasn’t making a comparison to her going away w her baby for a week
So if a sitter makes such a rule upfront obviously pay her.
But I am not in favor of this policy. That’s all

The sitter is self-employed. She didn't sign up for anything. She's running a business.

Brachie69

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:46 am
A lot of it should depend if you are in a group where it's a fixed number of people who are allowed to send but still pay by the hour, I would (and have) paid when we went away.
If it's open to all, with notice, I wouldn't pay when we don't send.

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:47 am
amother wrote:
Married2020, a babysitter is entitled to have any policy she wishes. Usually they make these policies after having some bad experience of people taking advantage.

Did I say she is not entitled ?
I said I wouldn’t send to such a person she sounds cold

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Married2020, its not the same as you going on vacation and not getting paid. The babysitter isnt going on vacation....

I didn’t say it’s the same. I said when you choose an occupation you know the nature of how you will or won’t get paid

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:49 am
Why does a babysitter with policicies sound cold??
It seems to me like your opinion is that a babysitter has to be a person that can be taken advantage of.

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
Why does a babysitter with policicies sound cold??
It seems to me like your opinion is that a babysitter has to be a person that can be taken advantage of.

It’s not taking advantage if this is not her policy.
I treated my sitter very well please don’t tell me I take advantage just because I find a policy that most sitters do not have, to be cold.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:56 am
married2020 wrote:
I didn’t say it’s the same. I said when you choose an occupation you know the nature of how you will or won’t get paid

When you run your own business - you set those policies.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:58 am
married2020 wrote:
I would never send to such a sitter she sounds cold. My daughters babysitter loved her she would never tell me she can’t come anymore just bec she didn’t come for a week. It’s a relationship, your child is there daily.

Cold?

Do you work? How would you feel if your boss called you on a Monday morning and said "pheh, not this week; oh, and I won't be paying you, either." Me, I wouldn't be happy. I've got bills to pay, and I need my paycheck to do that.

Well, your sitter is no different. She may love your daughter. But not as much as she loves paying her own rent and heating bill.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette