Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pay babysitter when you don’t send?
Previous  1  2  3

married2020

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
When you run your own business - you set those policies.

You obviously misunderstood my intention here

If the sitter has a policy she should def follow it

But if the sitter doesn’t have a policy she does not have to pay and I don’t see it necessary

I’m entitled to my opinion on the policy some have mentioned here. It doesn’t mean I would take advantage and not follow someone’s rule.

Gosh ppl stop jumping to conclusions here.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:05 am
married2020 wrote:
You obviously misunderstood my intention here

If the sitter has a policy she should def follow it

But if the sitter doesn’t have a policy she does not have to pay and I don’t see it necessary

I’m entitled to my opinion on the policy some have mentioned here. It doesn’t mean I would take advantage and not follow someone’s rule.

Gosh ppl stop jumping to conclusions here.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Its just the support of the opinion isn't logically connected to it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:06 am
I’m a babysitter. I think a lot of it depends on your location and what type of group you send to. My group is small and I generally don’t accept drop-ins. So parents pay unless kid is sick or some other extenuating circumstance.

By the way, people say it’s a low paying job, I’m very happy with my income. I’m legal with just a few kids but it’s worth it for me not to have to send my own kids out (which I didn’t want to do in the first place). I work online at nights and I find babysitting something I really enjoy being home.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
Married2020, a babysitter is entitled to have any policy she wishes. Usually they make these policies after having some bad experience of people taking advantage.

I have a different take. A babysitter is allowed to have any policy. And Married2020 can choose a babysitter she is more comfortable with - and it sound like she's more comfortable with someone who is more laid back.

mom!

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:59 am
I have had both types of set ups, one where she only charged by hour my baby came and others who charged by the week. For the first one, when she cancelled on me (I.e. erev yomtov, her kids were sick ect) I didn't pay. When I came late, my baby was sick, I had an off day ect. I always offered to pay. She generally didn't allow me to. I always feel like she is a human too and if I treat her nicely, she will do the same to me and my baby!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 11:59 am
OP here, I will offer to pay. It won't make or break me to pay her and I do appreciate her work. Better safe than sorry. Now what to do when I have a baby and won't be in town for weeks at a time...?

sky

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 12:16 pm
Depends if I pay monthly fee or hourly fee and the sitters rules.

When I pay monthly I pay no matter what.
For years sent to babysitter with hourly fee (with daily minimum) if you didn’t send you didn’t pay. But she could also cancel on us if her kids were sick... she was the most wonderful sitter I ever had.
But I think the understanding was we’d keep our kids home when sick not just to save money.

Metukah

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:33 pm
sky wrote:
Depends if I pay monthly fee or hourly fee and the sitters rules.

When I pay monthly I pay no matter what.
For years sent to babysitter with hourly fee (with daily minimum) if you didn’t send you didn’t pay. But she could also cancel on us if her kids were sick... she was the most wonderful sitter I ever had.
But I think the understanding was we’d keep our kids home when sick not just to save money.

Exactly this. If you expect your sitter to not charge you when you don't bring your child then you could also expect her to not be available for your child whenever you need.

A commitment needs to work both ways.

She also has to be able to fill her slots at all times, so if your child isn't coming she could take another and it may happen that at times she is full.

The only time I had a sitter that I paid per hour, I used her just for a few hours a week when my daughter was a small baby and I was teaching sem classes. She often couldn't accommodate me and I understood that because I was using her on an ad hoc basis.

My children have all been in an official childcare setting from a very young age. My children were registered and had a space, just like school tuition, it was paid weekly with no relevance to attendance. Why is that understandable for an official childcare setting but not for someone who does the same thing at home?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, I will offer to pay. It won't make or break me to pay her and I do appreciate her work. Better safe than sorry. Now what to do when I have a baby and won't be in town for weeks at a time...?

Have an open honest conversation with your childcare provider.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 4:57 pm
Metukah wrote:
Exactly this. If you expect your sitter to not charge you when you don't bring your child then you could also expect her to not be available for your child whenever you need.

A commitment needs to work both ways.

She also has to be able to fill her slots at all times, so if your child isn't coming she could take another and it may happen that at times she is full.

The only time I had a sitter that I paid per hour, I used her just for a few hours a week when my daughter was a small baby and I was teaching sem classes. She often couldn't accommodate me and I understood that because I was using her on an ad hoc basis.

My children have all been in an official childcare setting from a very young age. My children were registered and had a space, just like school tuition, it was paid weekly with no relevance to attendance. Why is that understandable for an official childcare setting but not for someone who does the same thing at home?

I’m the op. I send my child consistently and pay hourly but the babysitter did take off once and is taking off for two weeks without offering a substitute so she isn’t completely reliable.

precious

Post Tue, Jan 22 2019, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
I’m the op. I send my child consistently and pay hourly but the babysitter did take off once and is taking off for two weeks without offering a substitute so she isn’t completely reliable.

Then it sounds like an hourly situation where you wouldn't need to pay for days you don't sound

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:03 am
Why not just ask her, OP? "Hi babysitter! I was wondering what your policy is about paying for days that we choose not to send dd. I don't think we discussed this when I first started sending her to you."

Metukah

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:12 am
amother wrote:

In this case I don't believe that you need to even offer to pay.

Commitment is a 2 way street.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette