Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Makeup for 15 year old
1  2  3  Next

penikay

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:14 am
My 9th grader has really worked hard this term. I would like to get her a makeup set as a gift. What makeup is appropriate at this age for a Bies Yaakov girl (on specieal occasions like shabbos and simchas)?

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:31 am
penikay wrote:
My 9th grader has really worked hard this term. I would like to get her a makeup set as a gift. What makeup is appropriate at this age for a Bies Yaakov girl (on specieal occasions like shabbos and simchas)?

Maybe get her an IPSY subscription? My husband got me this as a gift at the start of the year, and I'm loving it. The subscription costs about 100 dollars, and each month IPSY sends you a makeup bag with five items in it. You create a profile online with your hair and eye color, skin type, and preferences (you can specify that you'd like natural/neutral colors) and they match you up with the types/colors of products they send. They usually post on their website videos or tutorials of how to use the products they send you. I really love getting my bag each month, its so much fun!

Another option: take her for a makeover at the MAC counter of your local Macys or lord and taylor. You can ask them to do her face in refined, soft, natural colors, they will show you how to put on the makeup, and can sell you what they use on her.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:07 am
I would absolutely not spend 100 dollars on make up for a girl who is 15

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:26 am
If you live in a major city, why don't you take her to Sephora and pick out a soft pink blush, a mascara and a pretty subtle lip gloss together?Then it's an activity and a gift.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:45 am
In which community is it acceptable for 9th grade Bais Yakov girls to wear makeup??

momX4

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:51 am
Start with tinted lip gloss and light blush
You can take her to Sephora.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
In which community is it acceptable for 9th grade Bais Yakov girls to wear makeup??

My now 11th grade daughter started with makeup in 9th grade (Bais Yaakov girl) as did most of her friends. Not in school, but on Shabbos etc... This is normal in the community where we live.

On the other hand, my nieces in Lakewood didn't start until the end of 11th grade.
I think "Bais Yaakov girl" can mean different things in different places.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:54 am
amother wrote:

About 100 years ago, no actually about 40, when I was in 9th grade, my friends started wearing/experimenting with makeup.

In some schools, I would guess primarily OOT, there aren't rules for out of school and only for in school. My policy with my kids was this: That the school says no on certain things (again, in school only) is not because there is something wrong with them but because the school doesn't want to start policing. I would be slightly more liberal than whatever the school allowed, and the girls had to have everything off once they walked into school.

ETA: And if my daughter was ready to try something (makeup, heels, etc.) I thought, when was it normal for kids to be interested in my time. And if the girls weren't interested to about the same age, maybe slightly earlier, phew, that was a relief and to me a sign that it was ok to go ahead with it.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:11 am
My guess is that its probably an out of town Bais Yakov. Because in Monsey & BP they have pretty strict no makeup rules.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:29 am
amother wrote:
On the other hand, my nieces in Lakewood didn't start until the end of 11th grade.
I think "Bais Yaakov girl" can mean different things in different places.

In my Lakewood neighborhood, lots of 9th and 10th grade girls from various schools are wearing light, natural makeup for Shabbos.
(My own high-schooler has no interest, though. ☺)

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
My guess is that its probably an out of town Bais Yakov. Because in Monsey & BP they have pretty strict no makeup rules.

Nope. I live in monsey, have lived here all my life. As of 10 years ago when I was in highschool (a bais yaakov) the only rule about makeup was that we couldnt wear it to school. Very normal to start experimenting with some makeup on shabbos by 9th-10th grade

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:04 am
amother wrote:

I went to Bais Yaakov in BP and wore makeup on Shabbos in 9th grade. I didn't wear any to the the school Shabbos or class Shabbaton since in BY the school allowed it from 11th grade and on but I wore the basics already in ninth. Of course I didn't over do it with full blown over the top colors. I tried to make myself look as natural as possible. Foundation to cover my acne, blush, mascara, nude/beige eye shadow and a very light line of eye liner and light lipstick.
By 11th grade I wore darker lipstick and colored eyeshadow. My mother didn't tell me anything. This was my own decision making knowing what was appropriate and what wasn't.
But I kept to the school rules and did not wear makeup to school or school events and not even for graduation pictures.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:06 am
How about mascara and a tinted lip gloss until she turns 16? Maybe a bit of a glow/shimmer with bronzer or some blush.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
In my Lakewood neighborhood, lots of 9th and 10th grade girls from various schools are wearing light, natural makeup for Shabbos.
(My own high-schooler has no interest, though. ☺)

I live in Lakewood and my dds started in 9/10th grade, whenever they were ready. Originally I though I wouldn't let until 11th grade, and then when my oldest asked to start wearing makeup in 9th I realized it really doesn't make much of a difference. A lot of their friends wear makeup, and they start with very natural looking makeup. Pale lip gloss, a little blush and mascara, and slowly work their way up to more.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:31 am
amother wrote:

Nope. We're in Monsey. The Bais Yaakov schools only have rules that no makeup IN school or school events. Most of my daughter's friends have been wearing makeup out of school since 9th grade.

(I'm talking BYM, BYR, BYRH I'm sure the chassidish schools have more strict rules...)

mom!

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:01 am
I would take her to a frum makeup artist so she can recommend soft looking items for your daughter. In Sephora, they are going to suggest many glittery things that probably are not what you are looking for. Also, she can be taught the correct way to put it on, not like a lot of highschool girls that you see that are wearing it incorrectly.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:07 am
I highly recommend Bare Minerals. Very soft for a high schooler. I've been using it since high school. It's youthful and fresh looking.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:08 am
mom! wrote:
I would take her to a frum makeup artist so she can recommend soft looking items for your daughter. In Sephora, they are going to suggest many glittery things that probably are not what you are looking for. Also, she can be taught the correct way to put it on, not like a lot of highschool girls that you see that are wearing it incorrectly.

Sephora will do what you ask them to do, because they want to make a sale. If you ask for a soft taupe eyeshadow, and pale pink lip gloss and and they show you neon yellow, you won't buy. They know that.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:10 am
And I find that most frum makeup artists use WAY more, and heavier makeup than others. I still cringe at what was done to my beautiful teenaged nieces for their sister''s wedding.

DVOM

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 10:16 am
Ruchel wrote:
I would absolutely not spend 100 dollars on make up for a girl who is 15

Good point. I guess I'm just loving it so much I wanted to spread the word!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children