Home

S/O NY: babies can be killed up to delivery

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Hotpink

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:23 am
I am deeply troubled by a real life situation. Please stop saying that a pregnancy should have been terminated according to halacha once a baby is born. Why is this necessary? This seems to be a common knee jerk reaction, and it is hurtful. Don't be a know it all, be compassionate.

Is it against halacha to say this? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can give me the halachic comeback when someone makes that unnecessary comment.

mo5

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:54 am
Saying hurtful things is אונאת דברים. It’s a mitzva not to hurt others with our words.
Hugs to you for your situation

amother

Hotpink

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:24 am
mo5 wrote:
Saying hurtful things is אונאת דברים. It’s a mitzva not to hurt others with our words.
Hugs to you for your situation

Thank you for your kindness.

amother

Vermilion

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:21 am
amother wrote:
I am deeply troubled by a real life situation. Please stop saying that a pregnancy should have been terminated according to halacha once a baby is born. Why is this necessary? This seems to be a common knee jerk reaction, and it is hurtful. Don't be a know it all, be compassionate.

Is it against halacha to say this? Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can give me the halachic comeback when someone makes that unnecessary comment.

Every child is precious including those with disabilities. May Hashem help you through your pain.

My mother suffered a lot her last pregnancy and is still undergoing surgery to fix issues years later. She wouldn't exchange the baby for the world.

Somehow people feel that disabled children "steal" by taking up resources. This is a non Jewish liberal idea and should be identified as such. As Torah Jews we believe all life is precious, and only abort in extremely rare regrettable situation.

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:58 pm
Not sure where the original thread is, but today the governor of Virginia said that killing a new born should be legal as long as it is done right away.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:

I support abortion rights.

I also support people not being total a-holes. And anyone who would say that, particularly to a new parent who is presumably dealing with a lot of issues, is a complete and total a-hole.

Kiwi13

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:07 pm
I'm SHOCKED that anyone would say such a thing to a new parent, OR AT ALL, about a baby WHO IS ALREADY BORN!!! I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such insensitivity.

amother

Sienna

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Not sure where the original thread is, but today the governor of Virginia said that killing a new born should be legal as long as it is done right away.

That's not what he said, of course.

He was talking about cases of babies with severe deformities or health challenges. He talked about whether or not to resuscitate such a baby if born not breathing. And he talked about whether or not intervention are required to continue life under those circumstances, versus allowing the baby to die.

Imagine yourself in the following situation. Baby is born. You discover that baby has severe defects. A dozen or more surgeries would allow the baby to live for 6 to 10 years, but never be able to walk, toilet train, or develop cognitively beyond the age of 18 months. Do you have the right to refuse the surgeries, to take the baby home, to keep him warm and cuddle him until he dies? That is what is being discussed.

Then again, the NY law doesn't allow babies to be killed up until delivery, either. It allows for late-term abortion (I.e., after 24 weeks) if the health of the mother is threatened or the fetus is not viable. If the fetus isn't viable, its not viable; you're not killing it. Moreover, it only legalizes late term abortion of a viable fetus "when, according to the practitioner’s reasonable and good faith professional judgment based on the facts of the patient’s case ... the abortion is necessary to protect the patient’s life or health.” There is no reasonable interpretation of "necessary to protect the patient's life or health" that would permit an abortion at or near delivery.

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:

What I really should have added was that I'm so sorry to hear that you, or someone you care about, is facing this situation.

I wish them peace.

amother

Pumpkin

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:59 pm
My sibling had a baby that "was not compatible with life". They knew this at 20 weeks. Yet, they were told by their posek who consulted with R Elyashiv, that although it may be permissable to abort, they would do a chessed for the neshama to allow it to be born and live as long as it needed to.
No one can make such a decision for another person, and no one should comment. Especially after the fact!

SixOfWands

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
My sibling had a baby that "was not compatible with life". They knew this at 20 weeks. Yet, they were told by their posek who consulted with R Elyashiv, that although it may be permissable to abort, they would do a chessed for the neshama to allow it to be born and live as long as it needed to.
No one can make such a decision for another person, and no one should comment. Especially after the fact!

I am so sorry for your sister's loss.

And you're right. No one should ever make that decision for another person. And all we should offer anyone making that terrible decision is our love and support.

amother

Peach

Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 6:29 pm
Delete
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h