Home

Where do you get your news?
Previous  1, 2

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

urban gypsy

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 4:40 pm
Amarante wrote:
Rush Limbaugh is biased - Rachel Maddow has her biases although she bases her opinions on facts whereas Limbaugh and Coulter play loose with the facts and are more interested in entertainment value than facts.

I think it's crucial to distinguish between journalists and talking heads. (Not referring to you, Amarante, but I think so many people can't tell the difference)

amother

Mustard

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 4:47 pm
If I need something 'straight' I read Reuters.

Fox

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
I'm surprised noone said primary sources. Read the laws for yourself. Watch Trump's ridiculous speeches and read his crazy Twitter posts. Then formulate your own opinions. I don't need any "smart" people to digest the primary sources and regurgitate their opinions to me, thank you very much

The problem with your "own" opinions is like the old George Carlin joke about using your "own" words: if you used your own words -- ones that you made up -- no one would understand you!

Reading primary sources is great if you have enough expertise or skill to do so, but no one has the intellect, time, or determination to become an expert in every area. For example, I don't follow Israeli news closely because my Hebrew isn't fluent enough to read primary sources. Nor can I read Farsi to follow what's doing in Iran.

Attempting to form your own opinions also puts you at the mercy of your own intellect. We don't see the flaws in our own thinking, and once we've reached independent conclusions, there is no impetus to ever add layers, nuance, or even change our minds.

Fox

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 5:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
All news is not created equal and legitimate news sites are diligent about reporting the facts without bias. This myth of all news being biased is really dangerous because it prevents people from being able to differentiate between reliable news sources and those which are disguising opinions for facts.

I've never heard the argument that reporting can be truly free of bias. The example always given to rhetoric students is that a camera can only point in one direction at a time. When I choose to point a camera -- both literally and as a metaphor for attention -- I'm deliberately choosing not to point it behind me.

Such bias is not necessarily intentional, and when it is intentional, it's not always malign. For example, if I'm deciding what to wear in the morning, I want my weather source to be biased in favor of Northern Illinois, not the Virgin Islands.

Amarante wrote:
The NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times are NOT biased in their news reporting. Other excellent sources of news are some that are posted above such as BBC or even NPR.

Even the NYT doesn't claim this.

Previous editor-in-chief Jill Abramson recently rebuked the NYT for bias, and current editor-in-chief Dean Baquet told Politico:

Quote:
"I would be lying if I did not say that a newsroom that is largely built in Manhattan does not have liberal leanings in the lifestyles and attitudes of its employees. That would be nuts if I said that,”

Amarante wrote:
Fox News is biased as would be MSNBC. CNN when it reports the news is not biased although it has evening talk shows in which the host is presenting a specific world view.
.Breitbart is biased - Daily Kos is biased.

It's important to distinguish bias in focus (where an outlet directs its attention) versus whether the reporting is accurate and whether the outlet acknowledges their bias.

When Breitbart has been investigated, what has always been found is that their reporting is accurate. However, their headlines are sensational. They also advertise and make it clear that they are selecting and presenting information that supports a conservative narrative. I'm not a Daily Kos reader; however, I believe they are similarly upfront that the stories they select and the presentation of those stories is from a left-liberal perspective.

This is why CNN is more reviled than MSNBC among conservatives. MSNBC is arguably more liberal than CNN, and while conservatives might disagree with their bias, the network doesn't hide it. CNN, on the other hand, consistently claims to be neutral when that's obviously not the case in their focus or reporting.

Amarante wrote:
Rush Limbaugh is biased - Rachel Maddow has her biases although she bases her opinions on facts whereas Limbaugh and Coulter play loose with the facts and are more interested in entertainment value than facts.

You're proving yourself the victim of your own assertion. Limbaugh is not a reporter -- he's a commentator and radio talk show host. Maddow is also not a reporter; she does news analysis, similar to Tucker Carlson. Coulter isn't a journalist by even the broadest definition of the word; she's an author and speaker.

What Urban Gypsy said about journalists versus talking heads is critical. Media outlets increasingly blur the roles of news reader, reporter, analyst, expert opinion, and plain ol' opinion. Examining only their reporting for bias doesn't give an accurate picture.

amother

Blush

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:29 pm
I get all if my news now from “The Jewish Home” and 1010 wins for the local news. By the time these sources publish their stories it’s mostly official “news” already. The live news feeds on the internet are so inaccurate and have hurt all credible reporting.

I sometimes tune into Fox News and ABC news to hear everyone’s stories. I miss Peter Jennings.

amother

Wheat

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:58 pm
The NY Times. The Week. Sometimes the Daily News and Post for local news. 1010 wins. CNN. ABC. WaPo. HuffPo. Daily Beast. ESPN. Sometimes WSJ or Politico. I'll read things on my Facebook and Twitter feed, from other sources, and follow up on various sites about them.

Picture resized

flmommy

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:41 am
Another Wheat. Thanks for that picture. That IS helpful.

amother

Lawngreen

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:46 am
but how do you know its unbiased Wink

amother

Ruby

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:12 am
Fox wrote:
The problem with your "own" opinions is like the old George Carlin joke about using your "own" words: if you used your own words -- ones that you made up -- no one would understand you!

Reading primary sources is great if you have enough expertise or skill to do so, but no one has the intellect, time, or determination to become an expert in every area. For example, I don't follow Israeli news closely because my Hebrew isn't fluent enough to read primary sources. Nor can I read Farsi to follow what's doing in Iran.

Attempting to form your own opinions also puts you at the mercy of your own intellect. We don't see the flaws in our own thinking, and once we've reached independent conclusions, there is no impetus to ever add layers, nuance, or even change our minds.

Here's the wonderful thing about technology:. Google translate. That makes primary sources accessible to most.

And formulating your own opinions saves you from the flaws of others thinking- and everyone has flaws.

And a thinking mind develops the cognitive flexibility to add layers, nuance, and/or change ones mind. This is a quality of a well developed mind, one which has the capacity to formulate independent opinions while simultaneously considering others. No need for the heavy primary reliance on others thought process- that can be considered secondarily

ectomorph

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:23 am
That chart has a funny gap on the right

now move the right part a little more to the left and then it's accurate

A prime example of subtle leftist bias

Amarante

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
Have you ever read anything from the NYT or BBC regarding Israel and the Palestinians? They can definitely be biased.

Somehow I don’t see you listing any conservative outlets as unbiased...hmmm...

I have read and I don't find their news reports to be biased.

In another thread, there was a HUGE todo about a biased NY Times article about terrorists playing Santa Claus in Iran as showing the bias of the NY Times. As I pointed out in the original thread, the article was NOT biased but merely reported in a paragraph or two as part of a long article on Xmas celebrations in Muslim countries that this occurred.So much of what is perceived as bias is just neutral factual reporting on what is going on.

Is this what you would expect from an OPED piece in the "biased" NY Times - Frank Bruni is generally regarded as "liberal" in his opinion pieces.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....itter.html

Here's a news article from the NY Times on the same event which paints all sides of this Rashomon event - do you find it "biased" or just reporting on what occurred including the media frenzy

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....ideos.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0.....ule=inline

I don't think of normal media as being conservative or liberal in their news sections as opposed to those sections specifically labelled OPED. And even in those sections, there are often articles by theoretically conservative commentators like David Brooks or Jennifer Rubin. NBC, ABC, CBS news are not liberal or conservative - Fox New is biased and conservative.

The WJS is perhaps conservative but they don't tend to do huge amount of news reporting and I am not interested enough in their economic coverage to pay for a subscription as you can't access it

amother

Smokey

Post  Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:51 am
Obviously whether or not you think someone or something else is biased is going to rely on your own preexisting biases. Which everyone has, whether or not you like to think so.
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Jump to: