Home

NY Senate Approves José Peralta New York State DREAM Act
1, 2  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Dodgerblue

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:27 pm
The Democrat Majority NY Senate just passed a bill approving services for illegal aliens and their children. For everyone who is still in denial about the fact that illegal aliens are not just in America "to do the work that American citizens don't want to do for pennies" or that they don't get services, then this will wake you up about it. Not sure why anyone would want to be a citizen and pay taxes when illegal aliens get preferential treatment and are even included in affirmative action programs taking away spots in colleges as well as scholarships from American citizens.

https://www.nysenate.gov/newsr.....2fdkQz2wVU

https://www.nysenate.gov/legis.....2019/S1250

groisamomma

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:51 pm
I'm not even reading the links. It'll make me sick to my stomach. I kill myself, literally work like a dog, and do not make ends meet, so that we can stay off govt programs. My college loans are in excess of 60K and my medical insurance is over 1K monthly. Never mind the 2K+ I pay in taxes monthly.

How dare they.

Mommyg8

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 6:55 pm
Does Canada give medical benefits to illegal immigrants? Maybe that's why their health care is more affordable?

amother

Cerulean

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:06 pm
We are already paying almost 50% taxes in New York. I wonder how much it will increase now.

groisamomma

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:08 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Does Canada give medical benefits to illegal immigrants? Maybe that's why their health care is more affordable?

Um, I'm not following the logic here. Giving out free health insurance makes the rest of us pay more, not less. That makes it more expensive, not more affordable, for the LEGAL citizens that work on the books and pay full taxes, to purchase health insurance.

amother

Red

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:09 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I'm not even reading the links. It'll make me sick to my stomach. I kill myself, literally work like a dog, and do not make ends meet, so that we can stay off govt programs. My college loans are in excess of 60K and my medical insurance is over 1K monthly. Never mind the 2K+ I pay in taxes monthly.

How dare they.

Maybe if you read it, you'd understand it.

But its much easier to attack when you neither read nor understand.

The Act would allow illegal aliens to access state financial aid for college on the same basis as others. So they would have the same right to have $60,000 in college loans that you do.

BTW, between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security (which they're not entitled to receive).

The right-wing Heritage Foundation found that the average undocumented immigrant household paid $10,334 in taxes. That would translate to about $17.6 billion paid in taxes.

amother

Cerulean

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:

The Act would allow illegal aliens to access state financial aid for college on the same basis as others. So they would have the same right to have $60,000 in college loans that you do.

BTW, between 50 percent and 75 percent of unauthorized immigrants pay federal, state, and local taxes. Illegal immigrants are estimated to pay in about $7 billion per year into Social Security (which they're not entitled to receive).

The right-wing Heritage Foundation found that the average undocumented immigrant household paid $10,334 in taxes. That would translate to about $17.6 billion paid in taxes.

How does $10,334 help? What exactly does that cover?

amother

Red

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
How does $10,334 help? What exactly does that cover?

[anon insult removed] Illegal immigrants don't pay taxes!

Facts: The majority do. (Source: Right Wing Foundation)

[anon insult removed] : Who cares? Not enough!

amother

Red

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:36 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

Does the US?

Medicaid and AHA are not available to illegal immigrants in the US.

Canada's healthcare is more affordable because its single payer.

Oh, and the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) in Canada provides healthcare services to illegal immigrants.

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:37 pm
It's not really going to make a difference once Trump declares amnesty for all the illegals

1untamedgirl

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:37 pm
For those claiming that illegal aliens pay taxes and/or don't get a refund please watch this--

1untamedgirl

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:43 pm
amother wrote:

I am in the middle of reading it but so far it doesn't say anything about loans, only scholarships and in state tuition. Please point out where it says that they can take out loans instead of getting scholarships. I am all for them being allowed to take out loans but what is the guarantee that they will pay it back? And why should anyone raise money for scholarships specifically for them instead of raising money for scholarships for American citizens? If this passes, then every single American citizen who is denied access to college or other opportunities and/or does not get a full scholarships should sue for discrimination. And the state should also forgive all student loans that American citizens have up until now so they don't have to continue to suffer for it.

Reality

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:

I have always wondered how anyone can know what percent if any illegals pay if they don't have a social security number? How is this tracked accurately?

amother

Red

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:01 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
I am in the middle of reading it but so far it doesn't say anything about loans, only scholarships and in state tuition. Please point out where it says that they can take out loans instead of getting scholarships. I am all for them being allowed to take out loans but what is the guarantee that they will pay it back? And why should anyone raise money for scholarships specifically for them instead of raising money for scholarships for American citizens? If this passes, then every single American citizen who is denied access to college or other opportunities and/or does not get a full scholarships should sue for discrimination. And the state should also forgive all student loans that American citizens have up until now so they don't have to continue to suffer for it.

Then read a different article. Its loans and some grants.

Quote:
The state version focuses entirely on college tuition aid available to residents.

New York had already acted in 2001 to allow immigrants in the country illegally to be eligible for in-state tuition if they live in the state.

The DREAM Act takes it further, allowing them to get tuition assistance.

It would do two things:

Make the Excelsior Scholarship, TAP and other tuition assistance programs available to those without lawful immigration status who attended high school for at least two years in New York and graduated or obtained an equivalency diploma here;

Create a DREAM Fund, which would be entirely funded by private donations and make scholarships available to the children of immigrants.

Where is the guarantee anyone pays back student loans?

1untamedgirl

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Does the US?

Medicaid and AHA are not available to illegal immigrants in the US.

Canada's healthcare is more affordable because its single payer.

Oh, and the Interim Federal Health Program (IFHP) in Canada provides healthcare services to illegal immigrants.

Illegal aliens can and do receive medicaid. Pregnant women are eligible for medicaid regardless of immigration status-- https://www1.nyc.gov/site/ochi.....rants.page

And illegal aliens can get care in hospitals and clinic even if they don't have medicaid which costs 18.5 Billion which is way more than the 17.6 Billion you claim they pay-- https://www.forbes.com/sites/t.....ec7d1212c4

So they are getting medicaid and free health services, free school, free lunches, free esl classes, free tutoring, free therapy services, etc and getting tax refunds as well. How much does it cost taxpayers and why are these illegal aliens entitled to all the services when American citizens can barely afford to pay rent or food (and many citizens are homeless and/or rely on food banks to survive)?

Mommyg8

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:15 pm
1untamedgirl wrote:
Illegal aliens can and do receive medicaid. Pregnant women are eligible for medicaid regardless of immigration status-- https://www1.nyc.gov/site/ochi.....rants.page

And illegal aliens can get care in hospitals and clinic even if they don't have medicaid which costs 18.5 Billion which is way more than the 17.6 Billion you claim they pay-- https://www.forbes.com/sites/t.....ec7d1212c4

So they are getting medicaid and free health services, free school, free lunches, free esl classes, free tutoring, free therapy services, etc and getting tax refunds as well. How much does it cost taxpayers and why are these illegal aliens entitled to all the services when American citizens can barely afford to pay rent or food (and many citizens are homeless and/or rely on food banks to survive)?

Thank you! I just googled it and was about to post the links. You got here first!

$10000 is probably a lot less than the amount they get back - don't forget to include school education, which is an average of $15,000 PER CHILD... And just curious - how do illegal immigrants pay payroll taxes without a social security number? And all the illegal immigrants I know get paid off the books, so how does this statistic even make sense?

1untamedgirl

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
The state version focuses entirely on college tuition aid available to residents.

New York had already acted in 2001 to allow immigrants in the country illegally to be eligible for in-state tuition if they live in the state.

The DREAM Act takes it further, allowing them to get tuition assistance.

It would do two things:

Make the Excelsior Scholarship, TAP and other tuition assistance programs available to those without lawful immigration status who attended high school for at least two years in New York and graduated or obtained an equivalency diploma here;

Create a DREAM Fund, which would be entirely funded by private donations and make scholarships available to the children of immigrants.

Where is the guarantee anyone pays back student loans?

I am reading the actual bill, there is nothing about student loans. Please point out where it says anything about student loans on the actual bill itself, not just the summary of the bill.

And student loans are attached to social security numbers and if you default on that then it affects you for everything else I.e. mortgage, credit card, car loans, etc as it affects the credit ratings. Plus you can't get it forgiven through bankruptcy. So if illegal aliens don't have legitimate social security numbers then how do you guarantee that they will repay it if it doesn't affect them in any way shape or form?

groisamomma

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:11 pm
Amother Red wrote:

Amother Red wrote:
Wingnut: Illegal immigrants don't pay taxes!

Facts: The majority do. (Source: Right Wing Foundation)

Wingnut: Who cares? Not enough!

Amother Red, the other posters are answering your claims on each point so I won't waste anyone's time repeating them.

Can you please not be rude to me? I haven't said or done anything to you personally so I'd appreciate the same respect that you (and I) would extend to illegal aliens. Thank you.

Sunnydays

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:38 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:

No they do not

Mommyg8

Post  Wed, Jan 23 2019, 9:50 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Um, I'm not following the logic here. Giving out free health insurance makes the rest of us pay more, not less. That makes it more expensive, not more affordable, for the LEGAL citizens that work on the books and pay full taxes, to purchase health insurance.

Sorry, I was writing in shorthand and I see I wasn't clear, even to myself.

People keep talking about how Canada has a great free health care system, and it's supposedly cheaper than the US's health care system as well. But they forget to mention that Canada does not cover medical care for illegal immigrants, while the US does. The poster above explained this very clearly.

When me and you are paying for our health insurance and/or medical care, we are really also paying for the uninsured. Hospitals may not turn away anyone who can't pay, so what ends up happening is that the hospital often ends up eating their losses, and makes up for it by charging four dollars a tablet of Tylenol. Not to mention government subsidies to help fill the gap. Read the article linked above - it explains it well.

So the further they expand the medical benefits for illegal immigrants, the more mine and your premiums go up. Or the more we pay in taxes. Which is probably why Canadian health care is cheaper.
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h