Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do u think when you see a young woman wearinga fur coat
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:37 pm
Do you think fur is appropriate to every age?

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:41 pm
Lately I've seen a couple of young newlyweds/kallahs wearing them (think 19-20 yr olds)!

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:43 pm
amother wrote:
Do you think fur is appropriate to every age?

Basically nobody wears them where I live. If I were to see it I would think she must be visiting from imamother world.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:46 pm
I'd think: I hope she didn't buy that new!

Antique fur coats are one thing, but I hope young people are more educated about the fur trade than that.

amother
Beige

No, I don't think it's appropriate, but so what? I don't control what other people wear. If I see a young woman in fur, I will assume it's fake or inherited.

Wearing fur is conspicuous consumption. It's not tzanua and suggests that you don't care about cruelty to animals. If you live in Canada or Russia, I can understand wearing fur. It really is warmer. But for most people, it's an advertisement of values I don't share.

tigerwife

Faux fur is trending now. I would assume the young woman would be wearing faux fur.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:50 pm
Rappel wrote:
I'd think: I hope she didn't buy that new!

Antique fur coats are one thing, but I hope young people are more educated about the fur trade than that.

I have a really old fur coat and it looks so dated. The cost to make it young and modern is astronomical.

So many people are buying really cheap rabbit on aliexpress for really cheap - capes, trims, etc. it makes me slightly ill thinking about it.

giselle

Post Wed, Jan 23 2019, 11:51 pm
Are you talking about everyday wear or Shabbos? It’s normal where I live to wear for dressy occasions. I’m not saying everyone does, but it wouldn’t be considered inappropriate.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:10 am
What's the big deal? My teen has several fur jackets. I think it is a fun look and not appropriate for middle aged or older women.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:21 am
In know a few young women (20s 30s) with beautiful faux fur coats.
They're vocal about it, otherwise I wouldn't have guessed.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:32 am
amother wrote:
No, I don't think it's appropriate, but so what? I don't control what other people wear. If I see a young woman in fur, I will assume it's fake or inherited.

Wearing fur is conspicuous consumption. It's not tzanua and suggests that you don't care about cruelty to animals. If you live in Canada or Russia, I can understand wearing fur. It really is warmer. But for most people, it's an advertisement of values I don't share.

Lets mix it up a bit...

What do you think about a Streiml in the Summer on a 95 degree day

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:35 am
As others have said, against my values. Smacks of animal cruelty. And way too flaunty to boot.
Where I live, Israel, people would probably assume it's fake, unless it's an old Russian lady or very luxurious.
I think a young person wearing real fur here, in most cities, would risk getting jeered at for needless animal cruelty.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:39 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Lets mix it up a bit...

What do you think about a Streiml in the Summer on a 95 degree day

Shtreimels are different for a few reasons.
Regarding animal cruelty. Shtreimels are made with discarded tails of animals. The animals would've been killed, regardless, to make coats etc, the farms happen to get the bonus that someone is interested in the tails (I'm not saying this is right, just explaining the logistics).
Also shtreimels is seem as a Chassidish beged, part of the uniform, something that's sort of necessary. Wearing a fur coat is just a fashion statement.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
Shtreimels are different for a few reasons.
Regarding animal cruelty. Shtreimels are made with discarded tails of animals. The animals would've been killed, regardless, to make coats etc, the farms happen to get the bonus that someone is interested in the tails (I'm not saying this is right, just explaining the logistics).
Also shtreimels is seem as a Chassidish beged, part of the uniform, something that's sort of necessary. Wearing a fur coat is just a fashion statement.

You’re kidding, right? The tails are the BEST part!?!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:23 am
amother wrote:
What's the big deal? My teen has several fur jackets. I think it is a fun look and not appropriate for middle aged or older women.
So interesting. The only women that I ever knew that wore fur coats were all over 60 years old. My grandmother had one and she looked regal in it. And there were some other women from the shul where I grew up, that wore them on shabbat. But I have never seen any woman under 40 wearing them and I would find it weird for someone young to wear one. I associate fur coats with older women

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 4:55 am
I believe many of the streimels in Israel are made from synthetic fur.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 4:59 am
Nebich she lost a relative. Really. I would be so puzzled otherwise.

Metukah

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:08 am
tigerwife wrote:
Faux fur is trending now. I would assume the young woman would be wearing faux fur.

Me too.

I would assume its faux fur. Wouldn't even think for a second that it's real.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:13 am
Some of the new synthetics are really amazing. They're not cheap, and you have to really look close and feel them to tell the difference.

I used to have a gorgeous full length silver fox coat. I bought it at an estate auction. I would never buy fur new. Where I lived it was really cold, and the coat made sense. I had to stop wearing it because crazed vegans were going around town spray painting anyone they thought was wearing fur. It was pretty scary. I ended up selling it back to the same auction house.

Goodwill has an annual fur sale, where they liquidate all of their donated furs. You can get a mink jacket for $25, and full length coat for around $30 to $45 depending on the condition. They also sell bags of fur scraps for crafts, because a lot of people make teddy bears or pet toys out of them. It's the ultimate in recycling.

So, back to the original question - what would I think? I wouldn't think anything. I don't get very worked up about other people's fashion choices. It's not my place to judge anyone. MYOB.

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:26 am
The look is aging. I always associate fur , especially mink, with very old ladies in shul in the winter. Short “chubby” jackets I associate with streetwalkers, unless worn by nine-to-eleven-year-olds, in which case I think JAP-in-training.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics