Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do u think when you see a young woman wearinga fur coat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

hodeez

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 5:43 am
I think wow the system is broken

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:43 am
giselle wrote:
Are you talking about everyday wear or Shabbos? It’s normal where I live to wear for dressy occasions. I’m not saying everyone does, but it wouldn’t be considered inappropriate.

In most of Brooklyn Orthodox communities (maybe Five Towns too), its commonplace. Its the statusy attire like the ripped jeans of the Village Billionaires who spend multi millions more than Brooklynites on everything else statusy and conspicuous (such as $100,000 Rolex watches). Hedge fund owner just spent $238 Million on a Manhattan apartment. etc.

And if its the fur use that bothers anyone, let them take it up with ALL the Chassidic Grand Rabbis who with every single married Chassid,wear expensive fur Shtreimels.

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:49 am
hodeez wrote:
I think wow the system is broken

Those immoral billionaires! But don't worry the world is ending in 12 years.

DVOM

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:00 am
Am I the only one who'd feel a little jealous? Ever since I was a little girl, I've always wanted a fur coat. My grandmother has several, and when we would visit her I could usually be found in the closet, with my face pressed into the fur, pretending that I was Lucy in the Lion, The which, and the wardrobe. One was pure white... in my child's mind, this was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life. I was so disappointed when we visited one summer and the fur coats weren't there. Apparently, furs are sent to some sort of special storage facility when they're not going to be used for a while. All of your responses though are making me think... I'm going to have to do my research into the fur trade, see if it changes my views.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:07 am
DVOM wrote:
Am I the only one who'd feel a little jealous? Ever since I was a little girl, I've always wanted a fur coat. My grandmother has several, and when we would visit her I could usually be found in the closet, with my face pressed into the fur, pretending that I was Lucy in the Lion, The which, and the wardrobe. One was pure white... in my child's mind, this was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life. I was so disappointed when we visited one summer and the fur coats weren't there. Apparently, furs are sent to some sort of special storage facility when they're not going to be used for a while. All of your responses though are making me think... I'm going to have to do my research into the fur trade, see if it changes my views.

Check Ebay for second hand furs. Who knows, you may find the fur of your dreams that reminds you of the Snow Queen!

I won't judge you at all.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:09 am
amother wrote:

And if its the fur use that bothers anyone, let them take it up with ALL the Chassidic Grand Rabbis who with every single married Chassid,wear expensive fur Shtreimels.

Nobody asked us about the fur shtreimels. But yes, I wish they would wear synthetic too. There is no need for real fur these days, and it's צער בעלי חיים for no need.

For the record, I also avoid down blankets. And I am a vegetarian. But I do wear leather shoes - it's not that I don't think there isn't a time and place where we can use animals. The fur trade, however, is especially cruel, and today there are soooo many other options. No one needs a fur coat to stay warm unless they live in Lapland.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
In most of Brooklyn Orthodox communities (maybe Five Towns too), its commonplace. Its the statusy attire like the ripped jeans of the Village Billionaires who spend multi millions more than Brooklynites on everything else statusy and conspicuous (such as $100,000 Rolex watches). Hedge fund owner just spent $238 Million on a Manhattan apartment. etc.

A 100k Rolex is also ostentatious, unless you are royalty. So? It doesnt make a fur coat any less ostentatious.

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:30 am
I wouldn't think anything. Not even sure if I wouldn't notice.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:40 am
Are you talking about a real, full length, traditional fur coat? Those are not in style where live. Or fur material trendy pieces? I see people responding to different things here. The trendy fur pieces - including fur trim hoods, pompoms, vests, short jackets and sweaters are not necessarily real - so chances are they're (relatively) inexpensive and cruelty free.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:48 am
with the weather we've been having now? that she's warm

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:52 am
I wore a short white rabbit fur jacket with a fabulous hood in highschool. It was bought for probably $25-$30 at a thrift store.
My mother recently told me that she donated it years ago Sad
I loved that jacket, but it wasn’t very warm and I needed to keep it dry.

My friend was recently gifted her grandmother's long mink coat when she made Aliyah. Though my friend also lives in Israel, it occasionally gets cold enough for hr to wear it. It is so soft.

Back to the question, I would want to know their story.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:54 am
I would assume she inherit ed it

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:02 am
I would assume she bought it on AliExpress where it costs $100-$250.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Check Ebay for second hand furs. Who knows, you may find the fur of your dreams that reminds you of the Snow Queen!

I won't judge you at all.

Same! My plan was to get a fur at 40, but I got lucky and found a stunning mink in perfect condition at Goodwill! I was only about 35 but it cost me $300 (minor alterations cost me less than $100) Best metziah of my life! I wear it on Shabbosim and to simchas and feel like such a lady.

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:19 am
Depends on which circles she’s from.

fish

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:39 am
I actually own 2 fur coats, both given to me after the owners pasted away. I honest don't think I'll ever wear them, I always think of fur coats as being worn by rich old ladies.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:45 am
There are many fur styles that are pretty young. Like a combination of fur & down, fur & wool, or the coat is cut a young style. Many are wearing faux fur. I dont think anything when I see a young women wearing a fur coat, what's the big deal?

meme6

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:07 am
So the real mink looking coats (light brown) which is usually really fur I believe are for older age ladies when I see someone younger wearing them I think it makes them look old

Regarding the black fur coats that the young are wearing 99% of them are faux fur and cost under $1000 they are warm and nice looking and can be worn by all ages and you still look young.
And regarding animal cruelty I don’t think that was the posters question at all

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:33 am
DVOM wrote:
Am I the only one who'd feel a little jealous? Ever since I was a little girl, I've always wanted a fur coat.

You're not the only one, I'm exactly the same. I adore fur anything and to be quite honest I prefer the look of fur to diamonds. I don't think there is a need for real fur though. It serves no purpose. There are so many beautiful faux or vintage options. I have one faux fur coat (sort of blue-grey in color, similar to chinchilla) It is so gorgeous but I never wear it because I'm afraid to ruin it and it looks sort of ridiculous in everyday settings. I wish I had to confidence to just wear it and not care what people think of me.

sarah58

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:52 am
actually in my community it as fairly normal for a kallah to get a fur coat....
its not that expensive from $700 to $2000 its real fur but obviously not expensive furs....
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics