Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do u think when you see a young woman wearinga fur coat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

icebreaker

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:00 am
I wouldn’t think anything. I have a sable fur coat that I took a chance and ordered from Russia. I absolutely love it and I’m sure my eldest daughter has worn it lol.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
Nobody asked us about the fur shtreimels. But yes, I wish they would wear synthetic too. There is no need for real fur these days, and it's צער בעלי חיים for no need.

Whoever thinks that after all these years of using Shtreiemls, the Grand Rabbis arent aware of the PETA movement and exactly how the animal is treated, is smoking something.(Hahahahaha not ONE person ever told them??????????)

I believe they think that the animal's use in a garment for Shabbos celebration, elevates the animal's spirit.

If you dont agree, thats something else.

But dont be naive and say the Grand Rabbis dont know E X A C T L Y how the animals get killed, after 50+ years of wearing Shtreimels in America.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:21 am
keepgoing wrote:
actually in my community it as fairly normal for a kallah to get a fur coat....
its not that expensive from $700 to $2000 its real fur but obviously not expensive furs....

Are couples in this community self sufficient within a year or two? If not, a 1k coat is actually over the top.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:42 am
I'm so curious which community. I feel like I know chassidish and litvish fairly well and literally no one I know got a fur coat.

Is it an MO thing?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:58 am
I’m actually surprised so many of you have not seen fur coats on younger women. It’s so in now in Brooklyn, very common to see it. (Makes me wonder if Brooklynites are such a minority on this site?)
I think it’s strange that you find people even wearing it for weekday though I suppose if they already spent the money they might as well be warm all week. Yes many are faux but plenty are wearing real.
I think it’s a crazy trend, expensive peer pressure for no reason and now many kallahs want to buy it too cause it’s the latest “in” Shabos coat.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:00 am
60 plus. If its some one young I might think shes showing off her money. Or she trying to keep up with those that have extra money
Or I might think so not practice why pay so much?

Judy

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:14 am
Enjoying this thread. My husband wanted to get me a fur coat years ago - I was in my 20-30’s ( I suppose he’s used to it cuz his family wears them - his mother and sister and grandmother - so he figured he wanted me to look rich I suppose - who knows) I was adamant I’m not walking around in a fur coat - not at that age - definitely not until 40. So good to know I wasn’t crazy
Now I’m past 40 and started thinking maybe to get one - but yeah isn’t faux just as good - nice- and way cheaper.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:24 am
ectomorph wrote:
I'm so curious which community. I feel like I know chassidish and litvish fairly well and literally no one I know got a fur coat.

Is it an MO thing?

No!!!!!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:37 am
SixOfWands wrote:
No!!!!!
good! It seems so odd to me!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:42 am
amother wrote:
I’m actually surprised so many of you have not seen fur coats on younger women. It’s so in now in Brooklyn, very common to see it. (Makes me wonder if Brooklynites are such a minority on this site?)
I think it’s strange that you find people even wearing it for weekday though I suppose if they already spent the money they might as well be warm all week. Yes many are faux but plenty are wearing real.
I think it’s a crazy trend, expensive peer pressure for no reason and now many kallahs want to buy it too cause it’s the latest “in” Shabos coat.

They're all fake!!! Check out Macy's. Beautiful fur-looking coats/jackets.

My friend was wearing a faux fur shawl when she found herself stuck among a PETA protest. "Your fur had a face!" a protestor shouted in her face. Her response: I wish!

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:47 am
I have 2 fur ponchos I got as a gift when I was engaged. I wore each one once. Too much of a hassle to worry about it not getting dirty and I have to coordinate it with my outfit etc.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
They're all fake!!! Check out Macy's. Beautiful fur-looking coats/jackets.

My friend was wearing a faux fur shawl when she found herself stuck among a PETA protest. "Your fur had a face!" a protestor shouted in her face. Her response: I wish!

Ok glad to hear that.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:05 am
Attn Five Towns Imamothers:

Just curious whats happening outside of Brooklyn.

What percentage of women in your Five Towns community wear "REAL" fur coats?

How old are the fur wearers? Whats the age range?

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:07 am
I would think she is warm.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:21 am
keepgoing wrote:
actually in my community it as fairly normal for a kallah to get a fur coat....
its not that expensive from $700 to $2000 its real fur but obviously not expensive furs....

$700 for a non-fur coat is not so outrageous in some communities. I help out a large family. The mom will do without, but when it was time to replace her coat, her husband insisted that she get one at that price point. I had already bought her two coats from Burlington that she picked out. Her husband insisted she should be dressed like everyone else and had her return the coats to me. She bought from a local Jewish store.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:37 am
It's very in to wear weekday jackets with fur sewn onto the front in my community. They cost from 600-1200$
I treated myself to a rex rabbit jacket and I love it. Warm soft and thin Was about $500.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:42 am
Honestly, I don’t notice these things. Maybe because I don’t care what others wear?

Maya

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:18 am
ectomorph wrote:

Is it an MO thing?

In recent years it has become the norm for Chassidish kallahs to get a fur coat as part of their shtufir. I’m not saying everyone gets one, but it’s fairly common and not reserved for the wealthy anymore.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:20 am
Those who live in communities where annual taxes ALONE on a one family house (no income off the properties) start at $20,000 a year and go upwards, whats a measly fur coat? Pennies!

So I ask again:

Attn Five Towns Imamothers:

Just curious whats happening outside of Brooklyn.

What percentage of women in your Five Towns community wear "REAL" fur coats?

How old are the fur wearers? Whats the age range?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:34 am
My mother lives in the 5 Towns and has 2 fur coats that she inherited. She wears them on shabbos in the winter and has been wearing them since she was around 40. There are other ladies her age who also wear furs.

In the summer, she stores them in a facility in Brooklyn.

I've never noticed anyone under 40-50 wearing a fur coat in the 5 Towns, but I moved out 15 years ago and don't visit often.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics