Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What do u think when you see a young woman wearinga fur coat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
I've never noticed anyone under 40-50 wearing a fur coat in the 5 Towns, but I moved out 15 years ago and don't visit often.

Theres at least one furrier in the heart of the frum area of the Five Towns,

https://www.alexandrosfurs.com/

Prices of Fur Outerwear range from $395 for a knit mink jacket to $21,000 for this chinchila coat

https://www.alexandrosfurs.com.....-coat

and one furrier advertises in the FTJT regularly thats close to the 5 towns.

I doubt theyre in business without customers.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:01 pm
Is it a pretty one I'll think: wow so pretty! Love it, wonder were she got it!

If its not a nice one I wouldn't even blink.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:25 pm
I got a gorgeous used full mink while visiting family in Europe. It was under $90 and my husband likes how I look in it. Not my style but it does work in our community. To each their own.

I note, it really is the warmest coat I own so when it's freezing you better believe I wear it.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:29 pm
I personally know 3 young kallahs, who's parents are rich and bought them beautiful real fur long coats.

caza

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:50 pm
WHy not, what do you care??

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:57 pm
I never thought into it. My sisters ex used to buy his little daughters mink coats when he travelled to Uman. Fur is cheap over there. I assume he is not the only one that purchases furs there.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
$700 for a non-fur coat is not so outrageous in some communities. I help out a large family. The mom will do without, but when it was time to replace her coat, her husband insisted that she get one at that price point. I had already bought her two coats from Burlington that she picked out. Her husband insisted she should be dressed like everyone else and had her return the coats to me. She bought from a local Jewish store.

I'll bite.

What's the difference between an $700+ cloth coat from a "Jewish store," and a $300 one from Nordstrom?

Although I do love this Ted Baker coat: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/t.....eed=0

But its still under $700

sima

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:17 pm
Faux fur by all means. But real fur is in my book a big NO NO. The cruelty to animals does not ever justify fur. Even those in really cold temps. There are plenty of other materials on the market that will keep you warm no matter what, and layer, layer, layer.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:42 pm
I think it looks stupid

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
They're all fake!!! Check out Macy's. Beautiful fur-looking coats/jackets.

My friend was wearing a faux fur shawl when she found herself stuck among a PETA protest. "Your fur had a face!" a protestor shouted in her face. Her response: I wish!

Canada Goose is made from coyotes Can't Believe It

Laiya

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
Nobody asked us about the fur shtreimels. But yes, I wish they would wear synthetic too. There is no need for real fur these days, and it's צער בעלי חיים for no need.

For the record, I also avoid down blankets. And I am a vegetarian. But I do wear leather shoes - it's not that I don't think there isn't a time and place where we can use animals. The fur trade, however, is especially cruel, and today there are soooo many other options. No one needs a fur coat to stay warm unless they live in Lapland.

The bolded. And I'm not a vegetarian.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
I'll bite.

What's the difference between an $700+ cloth coat from a "Jewish store," and a $300 one from Nordstrom?

Although I do love this Ted Baker coat: https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/t.....eed=0

But its still under $700

I bet we have similar taste. Love that coat.

And maybe the husband wanted the woman to buy a Moncler. Seems to be all the rage in Lakewood.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 4:07 pm
Maya wrote:
In recent years it has become the norm for Chassidish kallahs to get a fur coat as part of their shtufir. I’m not saying everyone gets one, but it’s fairly common and not reserved for the wealthy anymore.
can anyone else confirm this

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
can anyone else confirm this
I did. I posted above.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 6:45 pm
Re Ted baker coat: not in a thousand years would I buy a winter coat that fastens only with a sash and not real fasteners like buttons, snaps or a zipper. Nor would I buy a winter coat that can’t be fastened all the way up to the throat. Wear that coat one fine blustery winter day and you’ll figure out why. Hopefully you won’t need your hands for anything like carrying a bag or holding your dc hand or hanging on to your dh during major wind gusts, because they will be frantically trying to keep the accursed coat flaps closed. Those coats may look great but are a really asinine design for cold weather.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:04 pm
Judy wrote:
Enjoying this thread. My husband wanted to get me a fur coat years ago - I was in my 20-30’s ( I suppose he’s used to it cuz his family wears them - his mother and sister and grandmother - so he figured he wanted me to look rich I suppose - who knows) I was adamant I’m not walking around in a fur coat - not at that age - definitely not until 40. So good to know I wasn’t crazy
Now I’m past 40 and started thinking maybe to get one - but yeah isn’t faux just as good - nice- and way cheaper.

My husband also wanted me to. But he just bought me one because like you said, everyone in his family wears one. I was in my 20s and I wasn’t comfortable with it then, and I’m still not now. It is a reversible coat, so I wear it with the lining on the outside and the fur on the inside. I do live somewhere freezing, and it is warm. I have never had any hana’ah from wearing it, and I do hope no one would judge. I did try to resell it once. Only to find out that for a $2500 coat (just making up a number here) I could get $300 back if I was lucky.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
I did. I posted above.

Yup

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:08 pm
amother wrote:
Re Ted baker coat: not in a thousand years would I buy a winter coat that fastens only with a sash and not real fasteners like buttons, snaps or a zipper. Nor would I buy a winter coat that can’t be fastened all the way up to the throat. Wear that coat one fine blustery winter day and you’ll figure out why. Hopefully you won’t need your hands for anything like carrying a bag or holding your dc hand or hanging on to your dh during major wind gusts, because they will be frantically trying to keep the accursed coat flaps closed. Those coats may look great but are a really asinine design for cold weather.

You're right. I'd only wear that coat from the car into a simcha hall. To walk to shul, or for everyday wear, if it's freezing cold, I wear a down coat or a warm wool coat with gloves and scarf.

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:09 pm
All those pompom hats that are all the rage are raccoon fur. Sorry to disillusion all those that think they don’t buy fur.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Do you think fur is appropriate to every age?

I don’t think anything, why is it my business what someone else wears?
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics