Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr. Mandelman or Dr. Hizami?
1  2  Next

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 7:35 am
I am looking into 2 names.
Dr. Mandelman is the first name but it seems I would get a diagnosis but then need to go to a psychiatrist to get medicine. He is a behavioral pediatrician and is supposed to be excellent in giving an accurate diagnosis.

The other name I have is dr. Hizami who is a psychiatrist. He diagnoses and also prescribes medication.
So why don’t I just go to a psychiatrist?
I would save time and money if I just go to one person who can evaluate and medicate.

The only concern I have is that going to a psychiatrist will insure that my child will be medicated and perhaps he can do without it?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:23 am
Have a phone consult with Dr. Mandelman. He wont charge. He is a tzaddik. He will advise you about your child including how to save money and your best way forward!

Edited to explain- If you are able to describe your child and the issues there is a possibility Dr Mandelman will tell you whether he is the right address or Dr Hakimi and basically answer your very question.
Of course he may not be able to! Depends on the child and situation but I believe it is worth a try. He has integrity to tell you whether to bother to come into him or not.
ETA Dr Mandelman is a neuropsychologist with also a double degree in education

polka dots

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:36 am
Dr. Mandelman helps set up a child with the right people. He would see you and make recommendations. People usually go to him after being unsuccessful with meds and want to see if there is a dual diagnosis.
Dr. Hizami is a great psychiatrist. More straight forward. Look at the behavior, See if there is a diagnosis, and treat accordingly.
Hatzlacha!

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:39 am
Good, competent pyschiatrists don't push medication on people unless they need it. If your child's diagnosis indicates that he needs medication, then the psychiatrist will prescribe it, otherwise he will not. The important thing is to get the correct diagnosis, so you don't waste time being on meds that the child does not need.

Dr. Hizami is a good psychiatrist and he's good at diagnosing. I am seeing him with a teen, and he is taking her OFF her medicine. He does not feel that she needs it (he put her on certain vitamins to help with the symptoms, and is slowly reducing the medicine.)

What you could do, is see if both doctors you mention agree on the diagnosis. That might make you feel better, and more ready to go along with whatever treatment plan your child is prescribed.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
Have a phone consult with Dr. Mandelman. He wont charge. He is a tzaddik. He will advise you about your child including how to save money and your best way forward!

I would be wary of any doctor who would diagnose a child without seeing him/her.

This post is so wrong on so many levels. Save money on the doctor's cheshbon, compromise your child's health, etc...I don't begin to understand the rationale behind this.

ETA - just want to say that in no way do I mean anything against Dr. Mandelman here. I doubt he would give anyone a phone diagnosis, this is just the hearsay of an anonymous poster. My post is just against phone diagnoses.

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:47 am
polka dots wrote:
Dr. Mandelman helps set up a child with the right people. He would see you and make recommendations. People usually go to him after being unsuccessful with meds and want to see if there is a dual diagnosis.
Dr. Hizami is a great psychiatrist. More straight forward. Look at the behavior, See if there is a diagnosis, and treat accordingly.
Hatzlacha!

But why wouldn’t the psychiatrist prescribing the medication be able to diagnose accurately?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
But why wouldn’t the psychiatrist prescribing the medication be able to diagnose accurately?

If he is a good psychiatrist, he absolutely would/could/should do that.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:25 am
I had a bad experience with dr hizami and wouldn't step into his office again.
I lived with a narcisstic bipolar husband for years and even after several visits to him he didn't diagnosis him with any mental disorder.
Was meant from one above to have few more miserable years before his manic episode but stay away.
Dr. Parikah in Westchester is a great doc

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:26 am
Chayalle wrote:
I would be wary of any doctor who would diagnose a child without seeing him/her.

This post is so wrong on so many levels. Save money on the doctor's cheshbon, compromise your child's health, etc...I don't begin to understand the rationale behind this.

CHAyalle. I like your posts always and thanks for making me aware of how in my haste I was unclear.

In no way would Dr Mandelman diagnose or treat without seeing the child. As a precurser he possibly would tell you whether you he thinks you need a psychiatrist or whether he could help or he would say he cant tell until he meets the child. It depends on each child and how much you can explain on the phone. In my case he directed me elsewhere and told me not to spend money on consulting with him. I have some backgrou And was able to describe my child and he felt I could be best served a different way.

I hope this makes it clearer.

mamaleh

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:45 am
I didn’t read the other responses but I can tell you about our experience. We went to Dr Mandelman and he very quickly understood our child and explained so much to us. He sent us to Dr Hizami who has been amazing! It seems they often work together.

polka dots

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:58 am
amother wrote:

Of course they should. In we cases when a child has a complicated case and dealing with a few issues, and is not seeing results by psychiatrist, Dr mandelman is amazing to help them figure it out.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 12:28 pm
Dr. Mandelman is the one to help you figure out a tough diagnosis. Dr. Hizami treats ADHD well but if you are not sure what your child/adult has, I would not go to him.
To answer why wouldn't a psychiatrist diagnose accurately? It depends on their skill and often they diagnose what's easy to medicate ie ADHD as opposed to something more complex or something that needs different kinds of therapies.
If your child is experiencing something that's outside the typical and you aren't getting answers, you may even need a very good neurologist.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:02 pm
We started out with a neurologist and then moved over to a developmental/behavioral pediatrician. I felt that the developmental/behavioral ped was more whole child focused and able to give us more time and attention. Our first appointment was 90 minutes with an hour follow up a month later. She was able to diagnose ADHD and show us exactly why she felt that was the issue. I dont think your average psychiatrist spends that much time with each patient. If you have the choice I think its a better option.

We did a full eval with a psychologist a year later and it was also very very helpful but different.

zrfm

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 1:38 pm
Dr hizami, from experience, he give meds to treat the symptoms and does not go deep into the issue to heel the core and recommend the help you need.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 2:39 pm
Dr. Mandelman does not not diagnose over the phone! I was having issues with my child and I didn't know what/where I was supposed to do first. I spoke to dr mandelman over the phone (couldn't believe he would give me time of day) and I described certain behaviors and whether that was enough to warrant an evaluation. He was spot on with his advice.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:10 pm
I know this is old.
Number to this dr.mandelman please.
Is he in flatbush?

4pom

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 9:20 pm
You can pm me for Dr Mandlemans information.
He was fantastic

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:43 pm
So strange.. I started this thread a few years ago when we were in a very bad place with our child.
BH things are much better now.
I’m surprised that I wrote that dr. Mandelman is a pediatrician. He just seemed to be a type of therapist when we went. He didn’t give us any diagnosis even though that’s why we went. All he said was that he thought my child needed a different therapist. Come to think of it, all he did was talk to us and ask some questions. We traveled from far and paid a lot. I guess Hashem didn’t want him to be our shaliach. We never went to dr hizami since my husband was very hesitant about the meds without a diagnosis.
I hope everyone gets the help they need for their child.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
So strange.. I started this thread a few years ago when we were in a very bad place with our child.
BH things are much better now.
I’m surprised that I wrote that dr. Mandelman is a pediatrician. He just seemed to be a type of therapist when we went. He didn’t give us any diagnosis even though that’s why we went. All he said was that he thought my child needed a different therapist. Come to think of it, all he did was talk to us and ask some questions. We traveled from far and paid a lot. I guess Hashem didn’t want him to be our shaliach. We never went to dr hizami since my husband was very hesitant about the meds without a diagnosis.
I hope everyone gets the help they need for their child.

I had same experience with dr mandleman when I went to him with 2 of my kids.
He came highly recommended, I paid a fortune, and all he did was question me and I walked out of is office after spending few hrs there but without any diagnosis.
Just curios whom he did help and what his expertise is suppose to be

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 12 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I had same experience with dr mandleman when I went to him with 2 of my kids.
He came highly recommended, I paid a fortune, and all he did was question me and I walked out of is office after spending few hrs there but without any diagnosis.
Just curios whom he did help and what his expertise is suppose to be

Same.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics