Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby gear suggestions FTM
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:32 pm
Would love if you experienced imas out there would share your suggestions for necessary baby gear, as well as your favorite brands
For ex. favorite car seat, swing, baby carrier, stroller, bassinet etc
Thanks so much in advance!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 8:54 pm
I love Baby Bjorn bouncers, Fisher-Price swings, Nuna Pipa and Chicco Keyfit for infant car seats, Silver Cross Wave or Uppa Baby Vista for bassinet strollers and Bugaboo Bee for when the baby is older. As for baby carriers- get a Tula

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:14 pm
It really depends on your lifestyle. If you live in an urban apartment and walk everywhere or take public transportation then you'll need different gear than if you live in a house in the suburbs and drive everywhere.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:29 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
It really depends on your lifestyle. If you live in an urban apartment and walk everywhere or take public transportation then you'll need different gear than if you live in a house in the suburbs and drive everywhere.

I live in an apt in the suburbs-drive everywhere Very Happy

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:30 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

This! I researched everything meticulously but I have some gear regrets because I didn't consider my lifestyle. I think you'll always have some regrets because you never know exactly what you'll use and what the baby will like. If you can, borrow big shortterm items like swings.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
This! I researched everything meticulously but I have some gear regrets because I didn't consider my lifestyle. I think you'll always have some regrets because you never know exactly what you'll use and what the baby will like. If you can, borrow big shortterm items like swings.

Op
Would love to hear recommendations, as well as things you regret buying

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 9:35 pm
Google. There are so many websites and blogs devoted to this topic.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:04 pm
If u plan on sending your baby to a babysitter and you will need to drop off a pack n play at 6 months or so then a great purchase is a pack n play with the bassinet attachment . I loved my Citi lite for a car stroller . I kinda didnt understand the use of my other stroller with the bassinet attachment. It seemed like a huge waste because like you, I drove everywhere and didnt like having a large stroller in my apartment. Some babys love swings and some hate it, worth borrowing like another mother said . I got a mamaroo and didnt like it once the baby was 2 months old . It was a bit boring for them . A lot of trendy baby gear is impractical. I learned that the hard way

monkeys

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:12 pm
Some of my favorites:
Halo bassinest
Baby bjorn bouncer
Bugaboo bee- great all around stroller if you’re always in and out of the car
Maxi cosi car seat (with car seat adapters to fit the bee) I find it relatively light
Aden and anais swaddles
My brest friend nursing pillow

OutATowner

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:24 pm
City mini stroller. So practical and easy.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:42 pm
I got hung up on the idea that I needed a heavy bassinet stroller because it's not good to have baby in the carseat for too long. That's true, but the bassinet wasn't great for walks on our bumpy sidewalks (no way to secure LO), and babies like to be able to see everything once they're a couple months old. The stroller was a killer to lift in and out of the car. For suburban life with occasional walks I was better off with a snap n go that fit the carseat. I just didn't leave LO in the carseat for that long that it mattered.

We used a pack n play for sleep for a long time. We got one with a changing attachment but if you're tall it's annoying to bend over to change so we never used.

I wanted a solly wrap and stalked Craigslist for one, but baby only tolerated being bundled up in there for a month or so before that was a no. I ended up with an ergo omni360, which baby and I love and can hold a baby for a longer age range--should've started with it.

Highly recommend the skip hop diaper clutch--I just tuck in my bag and don't need to bring a whole giant diaper bag/changing pad. I found it at Marshall's for a lot cheaper than Amazon.

Everyone online raved about the nose Frieda but I can't get that thing anywhere near my baby's nose without LO flipping out. We just do saline spray for stuffiness.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone online raved about the nose Frieda but I can't get that thing anywhere near my baby's nose without LO flipping out. We just do saline spray for stuffiness.

My baby flips out when we use it, but not more than with the bulb syringe. And unlike the bulb syringe, I can clean her nose out with the Nose Frida enough that she can nurse with a cold.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:09 pm
Thank you all for your replies so far, it is so helpful to get recommendations-I did hours of research, and on other forums as well, but from Imamother feels more like getting from friends Smile

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 24 2019, 11:12 pm
Would also love to hear about baby monitors that worked for you, was a bouncer/swing necessary, other essential baby items (someone mentioned nose frida and swaddles-thanks!)

judithc

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 1:13 am
Hi, I don't have much advice on the baby gear but please bear in mind - the best place for your baby to spend time is on the floor. Be it on the stomach or back, it's the best way for them to develop good core muscles. So try to keep the time in infant seat, bouncer, swing etc. very limited.

Machel

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 1:33 am
Things I loved as a first time mom.
A stretchy wrap for when they are brand new and then a more structured carrier as they get bigger. I LOVE the Ergo 360. I can put my DD who is 1 on my back and go. I also love my ring sling. If you plan on going to shul I can't recommend a carrier enough. I see all my friends holding their heavy babies while I am hands free. I use my ring sling to take her from the car to day care because it's so much easier.

I have the uppababy vista and love it. Huge basket, pushes super smooth and comes with the bassinet and a car seat that connects if you choose (which I also recommend ) I used the bassinet when we went to shul, she was born in the winter and I found it easier to keep her warm. But it's also nice because it's sleep safe so we had a place to put her if we we're out for lunch or when we went to the in laws.

I personally like having a larger diaper bag, knapsack style. You keep extra clothes and bottles(?) Plus stuff for you. Its nice to have room.

My daughter hated the nose Frieda but it's worth 1 min of screaming for them to be able to breathe.

Nursing pillow / good electric pump

Somewhere to put the baby down so you can walk away for a min. A swing or a bouncy chair. If you can borrow to see what your baby will like then great. I had much success getting my dd to nap in a swing.

If you are going the pacifier route we really like the wubbanub. Its large so when they drop it it's easy to find.

An option so the baby can sleep right by your bed. A bassinet (you can use the one from the stroller) or pack n play

I'm sure there is more. I am happy to discuss if you have more questions. The last 2 weeks of my pregnancy I binged new born must have and new born product regret videos and then updated my registry accordingly 😜

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 2:17 am
My Brest Friend nursing pillow. I HATED the boppy.

My baby did not like the swing or bouncer. I let her have floor time (tummy and back with university) and that was best (and cheapest).

I love my Infantino Mei Tai carrier. Inexpensive and very easy to use.

lucky14

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 3:38 am
amother wrote:
I got hung up on the idea that I needed a heavy bassinet stroller because it's not good to have baby in the carseat for too long. That's true, but the bassinet wasn't great for walks on our bumpy sidewalks (no way to secure LO), and babies like to be able to see everything once they're a couple months old. The stroller was a killer to lift in and out of the car. For suburban life with occasional walks I was better off with a snap n go that fit the carseat. I just didn't leave LO in the carseat for that long that it mattered.

We used a pack n play for sleep for a long time. We got one with a changing attachment but if you're tall it's annoying to bend over to change so we never used.

I wanted a solly wrap and stalked Craigslist for one, but baby only tolerated being bundled up in there for a month or so before that was a no. I ended up with an ergo omni360, which baby and I love and can hold a baby for a longer age range--should've started with it.

Highly recommend the skip hop diaper clutch--I just tuck in my bag and don't need to bring a whole giant diaper bag/changing pad. I found it at Marshall's for a lot cheaper than Amazon.

I agree with so much of this response!
We did not have a bassinet stroller- I felt no need for one and did not regret my decision at all. We had a citimini gt with an attachment to be able to put the car seat on it and it worked just fine for us.

my baby also slept in a pack n play with one of those infant bassinet parts on top until he outgrew that (then switched to a crib). I felt it was really perfect and cozy for him.

I tried quite a few different baby carriers (wraps and other styles) and ended up keeping the ergo. We got an ergo360 but I really would recommend just getting the original ergo. We hardly ever wore the baby facing outward (the only real advantage of the ergo360) and the original has a small pocket which the 360 doesn't have- would have been nice to put a key or a little money in when going on walks.

I didn't bother with a diaper bag- they are so huge and I found no need to lug THAT much stuff around. I have a bigger purse and was able to just put what I needed in there (though the clutch idea sounds good too).

And we had the same experience with the nose Frieda. It must be great for some people since there are so many good reviews, but not us. Even the spray my son wouldn't tolerate AT ALL. There's a gel you can get to put on the outside of their nose to unclog the crustiness that gets there and that's all he would really let us put on.

My son had no interest in the swing but loved this: https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-.....LXXJN (as an infant it was the only thing that would calm him down).

The truth is every baby and mom are different and want different products. Good luck deciding what works for you guys- my suggestion is try to find used for cheap or keep your receipts!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 5:26 am
amother wrote:
Would also love to hear about baby monitors that worked for you, was a bouncer/swing necessary, other essential baby items (someone mentioned nose frida and swaddles-thanks!)

Also an expecting ftm and I'm wondering if I really need a monitor living in an apt. It's not like there's that far to be at any point.

bsy

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
Also an expecting ftm and I'm wondering if I really need a monitor living in an apt. It's not like there's that far to be at any point.

I like my vtech monitor. It has the option to talk to the baby unit and I find it helpful. It's also very cheap! About 30 to 40 dollars.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics