Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Shabbos day alternative to cholent
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 12:27 pm
Chamin

Pulled brisket

Stew

Really anything in a crockpot.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 12:36 pm
Any recipes for minute steaks in the crockpot for shabbos day?

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 2:18 pm
mlc wrote:
Anyone serve anything other than cholent shabbos day?

We would love to try something new other than the common beans barley potato etc cholent every week

All suggestions appreciated!

Just make sure whatever you choose, that you serve something hot, as that’s the Halacha.

pumpkinsbubby

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 2:22 pm
sub wrote:
A student told me that they try different vegetable soups every week.

Would the soups not get overcooked staying in a crock pot overnight? I never did it before, so just wondering?

pumpkinsbubby

Post Fri, Jan 25 2019, 2:25 pm
esther11 wrote:
What cut of meat do you use for the pulled beef? I’m excited to try it!

What exactly is pulled beef? Can you buy it prepackaged at the butcher (like flanken or kalichel) or do you need the butcher to special order it for you?

essie14

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 12:28 pm
pumpkinsbubby wrote:
What exactly is pulled beef? Can you buy it prepackaged at the butcher (like flanken or kalichel) or do you need the butcher to special order it for you?

I answered above. Chuck roast or brisket.
When you cook it for a long time it becomes shred-able. That’s pulled beef.

emzod42

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 7:07 pm
Thanks for the ideas!I It's great to get recipes from people who have actually made these for Shabbos lunch. The problem with a lot of crock pot recipes is the cooking times are often 4-8 hours max, and they don't always turn out well for the 20 hr cook time.

ccwife

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 8:42 pm
emzod42 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas!I It's great to get recipes from people who have actually made these for Shabbos lunch. The problem with a lot of crock pot recipes is the cooking times are often 4-8 hours max, and they don't always turn out well for the 20 hr cook time.

I once went to someone who had yapchik (in the crockpot) in place of cholent and it was heaven!

mlc

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 9:00 pm
emzod42 wrote:

Well put Smile

I spent a long time trying to find recipes online but couldn’t find anything that actually could stay long enough

Everything here sounds great !

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 9:02 pm
mlc wrote:
That sounds so delicious!
Do you serve anything as a side with that?

Also, do you cook it fully before putting on low or does it cook entirely on low ?

Thank you!!!

We eat low carb, so we don't use any starches. We serve with various vegtables, sometimes a cauliflower puree or something, but its just another dish. today we threw lamb sausages in. Delish.

we do not precook it, it is cooked to well done after 20 hours in the instapot.

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 9:04 pm
I did this recipe this week (Meatball and rice combination):

https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....lent/

abaker

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 9:57 pm
Andrea how do you use the instapot on shabbos, doesn't it make a noise when you open it? I always want to use mine for shabbos but don't know how to do it.

SixOfWands

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 10:13 pm
abaker wrote:
Andrea how do you use the instapot on shabbos, doesn't it make a noise when you open it? I always want to use mine for shabbos but don't know how to do it.

Not Andrea, but you use the slow cooker function with a glass lid.

mlc

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 10:26 pm
andrea levy wrote:
We eat low carb, so we don't use any starches. We serve with various vegtables, sometimes a cauliflower puree or something, but its just another dish. today we threw lamb sausages in. Delish.

we do not precook it, it is cooked to well done after 20 hours in the instapot.

Yum!

What company makes lamb sausages?

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 10:31 pm
I've never made cholent in my life!

We make a different soup in the crockpot every week. The rest of the meal is usually some sort of grilled or baked chicken that's not saucy, a kugel warmed up on top of the crockpot, and salads.

I posted some recipes on this thread: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04082

octopus

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 10:36 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Just make sure whatever you choose, that you serve something hot, as that’s the Halacha.

What?! I thought this might s strong minhag.. please correct me if I'm wrong.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 10:36 pm
dee's mommy wrote:
I did this recipe this week (Meatball and rice combination):

https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....lent/

Lol. She took it off here.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....85697

abaker

Post Sat, Jan 26 2019, 11:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Not Andrea, but you use the slow cooker function with a glass lid.

Oh great thanks for the info. Can I use it as a pressure cooker too with the glass lid or it's only for the slow cooker setting?

I am also looking for something other than chulent for shabbos. I love yapchik and make it usually but lately no time to peel and shred potatoes. This week I did a quinoa, tomato beef soup.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 2:47 am
Not op. I tried pulled beef with top of rib in crockpot this week for shabbos....everyone loved it. Thanks for the inspiration.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 4:49 am
octopus wrote:
What?! I thought this might s strong minhag.. please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, it's a rabbinic halacha so that we don't appear to be imitating the Karaites, who only had Written Torah and thought they had to eat cold food in the dark on Shabbos. Of course, you fulfill the obligation with a cup of tea, or some such--doesn't need to be a full hot meal.

As for alternative to cholent, there are many. I've never made cholent. Warm up schnitzel or sheperd's pie or meat pie or fish or lasagna or the blech. Or make beef stew, which we vastly prefer to everyone else's heavy bean-and-barley cholent--use beef broth and canned tomatoes and potatoes and carrots and onions and spices, I don't have amounts, but it turns out great every week. Or make it with red wine, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, rosemary, and thyme. Or make split pea soup in the crockpot. I'll come back if I think of more ideas.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics