Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
If your kids were HOME for mid-winter vacation, what did you

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:40 am
If your kids were HOME for mid-winter vacation, what did you and/or they do the whole day?

We did/are doing some arts n crafts projects in the house and I am trying to remind myself that this is good enough. May go to the library and for ice cream...

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:43 am
We got strep Smile

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:44 am
daagahminayin wrote:
We got strep Smile

Oh no! I hope everyone is better!!

I think I'm looking for validation.

malky800

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:49 am
Anyone has good ideas for a big indoor project?

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:53 am
Library, bowling, ice skating, out for pizza, ride bikes (after early last week's single digit temperatures friday felt positively balmy to my kids 😂), snow tubing, organize toys ("pesach cleaning" we don't allow food outside of kitchen and dining room so it's not REALLY Pesach cleaning, which is why we do it over mid winter), baking with them, my 11 year old wants to learn to cook so I'll probably do some of that with him, sculpey clay, and of course the inevitable screen time (limited but more than I allow when school is on)

These are the idea for my "little kids" (ages 9 and 11) for teen girls I have others...

mom!

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:15 pm
How about a trip to the dollar store where everyone can choose one or two things?
Family game of hide n seek-loved by all ages
Having kids pitch in with supper prep
Cookie decorating
Library

cbg

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:28 pm
malky800 wrote:
Anyone has good ideas for a big indoor project?

Clean and organize all the toys.

If the kids are old enough they can play with shaving cream on the table.

Little ones can have pudding on a piece of paper in the high chair that they can use as finger paint

Bake cookies

Make edible play dough

Have a tasting competition, where you blindfold them and they have to guess what they are tasting.

Play musical chairs, simon says, mother may I, I spy, hot/cold.

You can make ice cream by playing kick the Can or shaking it vigorously.
I’ll post a video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=koRtyTzimd0
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmUtPex8yts

Make a music video, and send it to relatives
Or a video on the story of Purim or the parsha.

Last edited by cbg on Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

esuss

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:46 pm
Today was only day most of my kids were home at same time. We went to a model train museum. Then to amazing savings to pick out a small prize. Then to grocery for easy fun supper. Now we went to visit some cousins.
Tomorrow 2 of them will be home alone while I go to work and others are back to school. They have a DVD to watch (This is a treat for them) Ceramics to paint. Books to read. And sleep as late as they want.

ez-pass

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:54 pm
My kids all have vacation different times Rolling Eyes Thursday one ended at 12. He came to work with me. I got him a special lunch. Friday. Dh stayed home with two that had vacation.. last night we watched Charlie and the chocolate factory. Today we went to the aquarium. Tomorrow and Tuesday only two year old home...not sure what I will do with him....and my daughter's vacation is in a month Rolling Eyes

Optione

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:08 pm
ez-pass wrote:
My kids all have vacation different times Rolling Eyes Thursday one ended at 12. He came to work with me. I got him a special lunch. Friday. Dh stayed home with two that had vacation.. last night we watched Charlie and the chocolate factory. Today we went to the aquarium. Tomorrow and Tuesday only two year old home...not sure what I will do with him....and my daughter's vacation is in a month Rolling Eyes

That sounds so tough!

solo

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 10:11 pm
We got bath bomb making kits. To do in the am. And will have bathing suit bubble baths in the pm

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:00 pm
Great ideas, but they all necessitate the mother entertaining hands-on all day. That's exhausting! When they were little, I used to bring them to work with me, or pile into the car for a long park and picnic trip. I needed to get out for my sanity. Once or twice I drove 20 mins to the mall and we window shopped, threw pennies in the fountain, and rode the 25-cent rides. Oh, and the glass elevator up and down. I remember taking them to the ice cream store and then to play in my sil's basement. She wasn't home but her toys were a change of scenery for them.

These days they're older so my ideas won't apply to you. And they're more expensive!!!

rdmom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:51 pm
My little one is coming to work with mommy. Now isn’t that exciting? My boss isn’t too happy. That is for sure.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:47 am
I get arts n crafts type kits when they were on sale on Amazon and stash them for "a rainy day" or presents (when the kids get invited to parties.) So a couple of those are getting pulled out. With one interesting new thing per day, they can kind of chill the rest of the day. I just don't have time for entertainment, I need to work. We did a fun trip today (Sunday) when we're all off anyway, and that will have to count as midwinter-week fun. Tomorrow they're going to a friend's house with some of the arts n crafts kits to share, that's my contribution for both families - one provides the house and the mom, I provide company and entertainment, we did that last year and everyone was pretty happy, there may have been some other kids over there too having a "party." Tuesday they'll have to hang out at my mother's house in the morning and then I'm going to come home early and take them to some overdue appointments, flu shot type, will have to sweeten the deal with ice cream I guess. Wednesday I don't know yet, maybe we'll hook up with a different friend family and I'll probably end up taking them to work with me in the afternoon (my morning schedule doesn't allow for tagalongs)

I think the goal is to make them happy to go back to school, like a sick day LOL

busy mommy

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:13 pm
little kids:
cookie decorating
perler beads
washable paint
sand art
coloring those cheap hangers (the metal ones with the paper on them that you get from the cleaners)
cutting and eating a fruit salad (plastic knives)
sock puppets
cheap word find/ coloring books/ activity books
cheerio neckalaces

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:18 pm
Little kids were happy to just play toys at home and maybe go on some errands.

8 year old had therapy one day and I signed him up for painting and wood shop on two other days. they also did the library.

I think for the older one, he needs to relax on vacation. I dont want to overload him with trips but staying inside all day is not good either so if we can do one activity a day its perfect.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:40 pm
We never go away or on trips when the kids have off. We get special exciting crafts, I let them watch some dvd's and we lazy around the house. The kids are just happy to be home.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 1:36 pm
Like any Sunday but every day. Ranges from outing to nothing

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:53 pm
solo wrote:
We got bath bomb making kits. To do in the am. And will have bathing suit bubble baths in the pm
Read the instructions. You might need to let it dry for more than 12 hours.

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:55 pm
My kids have off at different times so I'm pressured to be home for busses. Today one kid went to Chukee Cheese. The other kid already requested Chukee Cheese and a trip to a Manhattan Museum. I have time to do research on something age appropriate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics