Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
My kids refuse to wear costumes
1  2  Next

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:27 am
What should I do? My kids refuse any costume as soon as they are old enough to get what a costume is (oldest is under 6).

Anyone faced this issue? How do u deal with it?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:29 am
There are pajamas with prints that look like policeman costumes for example. Would they like that? If not, there are plenty of kids who don't wear costumes. Better for them to enjoy Purim in other ways than force it.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:30 am
Let them wear whatever they want. Don't force a themed costume on them. And if they don't want to wear any costume then Bigdei Shabbos should be fine.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
There are pajamas with prints that look like policeman costumes for example. Would they like that? If not, there are plenty of kids who don't wear costumes. Better for them to enjoy Purim in other ways than force it.

I'm definitely not forcing it. Just curious what other people do; maybe this is a common issue with an easy fix that I'm missing.

they won't wear anything that makes them look like anything else. Pjs are fine but they'll have to look like pjs

runninglate

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:33 am
I would not force it, but I would probably have something prepared in case they change their mind when they see everyone else dressed up.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:33 am
out-of-towner wrote:
Let them wear whatever they want. Don't force a themed costume on them. And if they don't want to wear any costume then Bigdei Shabbos should be fine.
yes of course - but anyone else had kids with this issue and got them to want to wear costumes?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:34 am
ectomorph wrote:
What should I do? My kids refuse any costume as soon as they are old enough to get what a costume is (oldest is under 6).

Anyone faced this issue? How do u deal with it?

Me: Shlomo - Purim is a fun chag. Will you have more fun if you aren't' wearing a costume?

Shlomo: Yes.

Me: Okay. I have one for you just in-case you change your mind.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:34 am
Why do you have to "deal with it"?

So they won't wear costumes. Big deal.

They certainly won't be the first or last to do that.

Better to let them wear regular clothes and enjoy their Purim than to force them to dress up and they come to dread the holiday.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:35 am
oliveoil wrote:
Why do you have to "deal with it"?

So they won't wear costumes. Big deal.

They certainly won't be the first or last to do that.

Better to let them wear regular clothes and enjoy their Purim than to force them to dress up and they come to dread the holiday.

I never see anyone else's kids not dressed up on Purim.

Figured there must be some secret I'm not privy to

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
Me: Shlomo - Purim is a fun chag. Will you have more fun if you aren't' wearing a costume?

Shlomo: Yes.

Me: Okay. I have one for you just in-case you change your mind.

That's the plan!

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 11:37 am
ectomorph wrote:
That's the plan!
I just remember that last year we ended up not wearing costumes... Thought maybe with good advice I could change that this year

WastingTime

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:14 pm
My 9 yr okd stopped wearing costumes when he was 2, so goes it

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:34 pm
Dress up yourself and let them see you having fun with it. Maybe in 2 years they may change their mind.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:36 pm
BRIBE

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:38 pm
If their ok wearing pjs I’d do a pajama bedtime theme. Give out mugs and marshmallows maybe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:40 pm
It sounds like they're sensory and more comfy in clothes. Is that it? There are solid color cotton t-shirt and pants sets like PJs that pair beautifully with an inexpensive pair of ears and pin on tail.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:42 pm
Don't take them out in pj above toddler age and even then. I saw people bringing kids in pj in hotels (foreigners) and it was very odd

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 12:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I just remember that last year we ended up not wearing costumes... Thought maybe with good advice I could change that this year

Nothing to stop you from wearing a costume.

If this is really important - spend a lot of time leading up to Purim talking about how much fun wearing costumes is - and talking about what everyone might want to wear.

pistachio88

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:17 pm
Not a fix but maybe instead of a costume they could wear something a little silly like a funny hat or bright shirt to get a little into the spirit.
Or they could dress up as something that they already are. Like a camp shirt and they could be a camper?
If not I would not force it. Maybe they will grow out it?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:21 pm
When they see costume catalogs soon they may change their mind! What about a tshirt that is a “costume”?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics