Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
My kids refuse to wear costumes
Previous  1  2

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:22 pm
ectomorph wrote:
What should I do? My kids refuse any costume as soon as they are old enough to get what a costume is (oldest is under 6).

Anyone faced this issue? How do u deal with it?

Let them not wear costumes. What’s the big deal?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:27 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I never see anyone else's kids not dressed up on Purim.

Figured there must be some secret I'm not privy to

My DS refused to dress up last year. I won’t push him this year. So what if everyone else is dressed up.

my mama

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:50 pm
What is their issue with the costume? Comfort or dressing up?

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 1:57 pm
Sometimes theyre uncomfortable in bulky/scratchy stuff or heavy stuff like full masks/wigs...
What about something natural....like make up, chunky jewlery, different hairstyle...
Like a stewadess...just wearing blue suit...reg Oxford shirt diff hairstyle/ diff earings/make up.
Being a mom, snood/ long denim skirt with a doll in hand.
Teacher suit & heels....
Beautician apron with supplies
Such more natural not totally dressed in a costume

Boys can just wear a colorful hat, blinking bow or tie....nothing too costumy.
Maybe a waiter/musician just black pants white shirt & bowtie maybe a vest.
Tuxedo. Sequin vest/jacket/hat.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 3:18 pm
DD with no sensory or any issues refused costume from age 9. Never figured out why. She turned out very ok. Now she dresses up her own kids. Very Happy

OutATowner

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 3:26 pm
Are the embarrassed? Some kids are very self conscious. If that is the case, I like the above idea if Shabbos clothes. Maybe if you are planning on getting something for Pesach, you can have them wear it on Purim and then put it away. Just for them to have something special for Purim, on their own terms.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 3:42 pm
Thank you to all the responsesm n
No sensory issues. They just don't like it

OutATowner wrote:
Are the embarrassed? Some kids are very self conscious. If that is the case, I like the above idea if Shabbos clothes. Maybe if you are planning on getting something for Pesach, you can have them wear it on Purim and then put it away. Just for them to have something special for Purim, on their own terms.

This actually makes sense they don't like to perform or be shown off.

I think we'll go with shabbos clothes this year

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 3:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:

In case this is an option, maybe they would be open to a beard drawn on with eyeliner. That turns regular shabbos clothes into a Mordechai hatzaddik costume.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 3:46 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

SingALong

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:36 pm
My kids prefer being comfortable. They wear accessories that make their regular clothes a costume. For example, last year my little boys wore white shirts, black pants, pirate vest, pirate hat and handcuffs dangling from their belt. Maybe one asked me to draw a beard on his face with eyeliner don’t remember exactly.
I take them to the costume store and say ok pick whatever you want to be.

Surrendered

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 6:54 pm
My young kids also refuse wearing costumes. I don't make an issue out of it. If that's what they want, so be it. I do prepare something to wear just in case they decide last minute to wear it.
Last year My 7 year old child kept saying that he's not dressing up. But before he left to go to his Rebbi, he wanted to get dressed up.
It's their Yom Tov, their choice. It's not worth the aggravation and conflicts.

Btw, Forget about themes dress up, they need to be happy and decide what they wanna be.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 7:01 pm
Surrendered wrote:
My young kids also refuse wearing costumes. I don't make an issue out of it. If that's what they want, so be it. I do prepare something to wear just in case they decide last minute to wear it.
Last year My 7 year old child kept saying that he's not dressing up. But before he left to go to his Rebbi, he wanted to get dressed up.
It's their Yom Tov, their choice. It's not worth the aggravation and conflicts.

Btw, Forget about themes dress up, they need to be happy and decide what they wanna be.

Don't worry I have never in my life done a theme and my MM are as generic as they come

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
In case this is an option, maybe they would be open to a beard drawn on with eyeliner. That turns regular shabbos clothes into a Mordechai hatzaddik costume.
cute idea!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 7:13 pm
Experienced Mum here saying pick your battles. This doesn't matter. My dd1 never wanted to dress up. Dd2 starts planning her Purim costume the previous Purim. It doesn't matter. We have a dress up box with various hats, skirts, shawls, etc., and if someone wakes up Purim morning w a change of heart, we can throw something together. One year dd1 made a last minute decision and w a bandana and a cowboy hat she was a cowgirl. But if your dc doesn't, IT IS UNIMPORTANT.

cbg

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 7:57 pm
Let them wear what ever they want and have a back up t-shirt that can double as their costume.
Something like a baseball, basket ball, foot ball jersey, or an emoji t-shirt, Thing 1 Thing 2
There are lots of t shirts

salt

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 1:23 am
Ruchel wrote:
BRIBE

I would save bribes for the important things in life.

DVOM

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 6:45 am
Last year was our first Purim in our new house, with new neighbors and new community norms. My boys looooove dressing up, but our neighbors, close to my kids' ages, very definitively stated at the bus stop that dressing up is sooooo babyish and they would be sooooo embarrassed to be seen in a costume. I could see where a certain type of kid would find dressing up kind of embarrassing.

I say go with what your kids are comfortable with, ectomorph. Maybe they will dress up in the end, maybe they won't. Last year my oldest (then 9) went with a psudo-costume look: regular clothing, but a hat that looked like a shark eating his head and fake blood dripping down his face. I think it struck the appropriately "macho/non babyish" balance he was looking for. My younger boys will still be in full costume this year, but my oldest (now 10) has told me that he wants to grow his hair long from now till Purim, shave a mohawk Purim morning and dye it blue. This will be his 'costume' this year. Whatever works!

nchr

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 9:40 am
ectomorph wrote:
What should I do? My kids refuse any costume as soon as they are old enough to get what a costume is (oldest is under 6).

Anyone faced this issue? How do u deal with it?

Last year, our 5 yr old told us he doesn't want to wear a costume because it's not him, but when he saw everyone else wearing them in shul he changed his mind (became more accustomed to the concept).

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 9:51 am
ectomorph wrote:

Just making sure ppl can see this response... I think it answer the thread

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:30 am
My kids can’t wait to pick their costumes and just around teens stop wearing full costumes and start wearing silly hats and accessories. I don’t understand If everyone wearing costumes don’t they want to fit in?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics