Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Social Worker

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 4:22 pm
Ds has his friend over for a week and it overlaps with his weekly session at the social worker. I asked his mom if she'd be ok with him joining ds in session if he wants to and she said yes. They've been very competitive, a little manipulative, and thought this might help them with the rest of the week and learn how to navigate differences.
The social worker refused.
Ds used to see a social worker at school and she'd have other random kids from the class join sometimes to help him learn social skills and things like that.
What do you think of this?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:41 pm
How old is DS?

I do think it's weird for a friend to join him for therapy.

Different when it's in school and ongoing with a school therapist.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:45 pm

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:49 pm
I agree, the school social worker is there to help the students navigate challenges in school- which can include social situations. Generally the social worker there is authorized to have any student be part of a session, unless parents specifically opt out.

A private social worker is your child's therapist. It would be appropriate for other family members to join a session as needed, but it's a whole different ball game to bring in an unrelated child. Unless she was willing to create an official group, in which case both sets of parents would authorize the treatment and it would be ongoing.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 27 2019, 8:57 pm
The social worker in previous years came to school only for my child through CPSE from the department of education but every once and a while asked if another child wanted to join.

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:39 am
It would be inappropriate for a social worker in a private or clinic setting to see a friend of your son as a one time thing .

There isn’t appropriate paperwork and there isn’t a proper safety for your son. This is his space— he shouldn’t have a friend invading it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children