Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Any other photographers here? I'm having a dry spell...help!
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:41 pm
I specialize in newborn lifestyle photography. I have had my business for 10 years and it's been quite successful. Lately though, I have noticed a decline in clients and I'm wondering if it's just me or whether the photography industry as a whole is declining?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 12:48 pm
Everyone has a dry spell in January, all luxury businesses, because everyone just overspent in the December holidays!

Do I know you? I love lifestyle photography; however I stick with studio, since I'm not great at thinking about the changing light on my feet!

watergirl

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 1:03 pm
I'm not a photographer but I have a few thoughts on this. Firstly, with all of the courses and "courses" (in quotes intentionally) that are offered now, the market is saturated with photographers. Cameras have gotten so good that a talented hobbyist can find clients and charge less than a pro. Also, a basic package for someone who is just starting out is still a luxury item like T&P said and as it becomes more and more popular, I've noticed the prices are just going up. With all of the things people have to pay for, the potential clientele is a small pool as it is.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 1:28 pm
amother wrote:
I specialize in newborn lifestyle photography. I have had my business for 10 years and it's been quite successful. Lately though, I have noticed a decline in clients and I'm wondering if it's just me or whether the photography industry as a whole is declining?

Also, it is very easy for non-trained people to take decent pictures and videos themselves on their phones and print them out/edit them at home. Probably not as good as a professional photographer, but good enough for them to want to do themselves vs pay money for it. I do personally pay for a photographer at our Simchas but sadly, I do think the profession might be in danger.

My DC is taking a photography course at school and I am thrilled as it might be their last chance to learn about/encounter dark room techniques.

But yes, January is generally a dry month in all fields so maybe you will be ok! Hatzlacha.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 2:22 pm
I'm a photographer too and I was just saying the same thing. So you're not alone. BUT - if this is something that has lasted longer than January, I would suggest you brush up on your skills and marketing. A lot has changed in the market in ten years.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 4:36 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
Everyone has a dry spell in January, all luxury businesses, because everyone just overspent in the December holidays!

Do I know you? I love lifestyle photography; however I stick with studio, since I'm not great at thinking about the changing light on my feet!

Thank you - I hope it's just January - I don't remember it being this quiet in previous years. We probably know each other from Jewish Women Photographers:) I'm Nechama Laitman Photography

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 5:09 pm
wow!I'm familiar with studio infant pictures but wasn't such a fan of the wraps, baskets...I thought that was newborn photography. just checked out your pictures and they are gorgeous!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
wow!I'm familiar with studio infant pictures but wasn't such a fan of the wraps, baskets...I thought that was newborn photography. just checked out your pictures and they are gorgeous!

Thank you so much!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 7:46 pm
Wow no advice just had to post your pictures are exquisite!!!!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 8:07 pm
What kind of marketing to you do?

How do most of your clients find you?

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 8:16 pm
What kind of marketing to you do?

How do most of your clients find you?

Mostly social media posts (facebook and instagram) - some find me through google.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 8:17 pm
amother wrote:
Wow no advice just had to post your pictures are exquisite!!!!

Thank you so much! It means a lot.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:

I have to agree. This is so refreshing compared to the typical newborn photography.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 8:56 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I have to agree. This is so refreshing compared to the typical newborn photography.

OP, this is the biggest compliment you could have got.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 9:12 pm
OP, you are so talented. I love how natural the photos are.

Too bad you're in Toronto or I'd be really tempted to hire you!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
Mostly social media posts (facebook and instagram) - some find me through google.

Your work is lovely!

Working on your Google rankings is probably the best thing to focus on now.

Social media's algorithms are changing, and they're showing business posts less often, in order to encourage businesses to pay for sponsored ads.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:06 pm
Your work is lovely!

Working on your Google rankings is probably the best thing to focus on now.

Social media's algorithms are changing, and they're showing business posts less often, in order to encourage businesses to pay for sponsored ads.

Thank you so much for your feedback! It's encouraging to hear that because I'm actually struggling with social media ratings.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:15 pm
Thank you so very much olive oil, Sebastian and Chartreuse!!

justforfun87

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:21 pm
Your pics are stunning. Please let me in on the secret. Is that all using natural light? What lens/camera you use?

OutATowner

Post Mon, Jan 28 2019, 10:42 pm
Wow your pictures make me want another baby. They are amazing.
I remember watching a shark tank episode about high end products. I dont recall exactly, but if you have a quality product and are charging over $500, don't try to attract the clientele like me that wants the cheapest deal. Know your clientele and advertise to them. I have no idea how paid ads work, but if you spend money wisely, directed at your crowd, I'm sure you will attract more.
Is there a maternity store in the mall that would let you keep business cards or coupons on the counter?
Can you advertise to grandparents who want to get gorgeous photos of their grandkid?
You have an amazing product, you have to market it. And market some more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics