Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Upsherin (chalake) hair - keeping it, is Tuma?
1  2  Next

rachel19977

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:54 am
Touching our own hair or others, makes us "tuma" and we have to wash Netilat Yadayim. This brings to the question:

Does anyone know if the hair that is cut from boy hair when he's 3 - keeping it, is it Tuma (unclean)?

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:39 am
rachel19977 wrote:
Touching our own hair or others, makes us "tuma" and we have to wash Netilat Yadayim.

Is that a fact? Got a source for that?

I learned that you have to wash if you scratch your head or have a haircut, not just touching the hair.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 11:43 am
what about sheitles made from real hair?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:23 pm
Motek wrote:
rachel19977 wrote:
Touching our own hair or others, makes us "tuma" and we have to wash Netilat Yadayim.

I learned that you have to wash if you scratch your head or have a haircut, not just touching the hair.

Yup I think its only the head itself, not the hair.

(Many chaseedishe boys touch/curl their payos in middle of davening.)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:40 pm
I have heard that it get licey easily.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:49 pm
Ive heard youreu supposed to dispose of it.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:54 pm
what gets licey CM? the hair from the upshern? how is that possible if its been cut off the scalp already. Any lice that was there before the cutting would die out when they run out of what to eat (they feed off the skin cells on the scalp) and especially if you bag the hair they will die. (like what they recomend to do with a new sheitle just in case the eggs [that are almost always] there have any live ones)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:56 pm
I have no idea what reall;y happens, I was told by a mother of a large family when we made ds's upsherenish not to evn think of keeping the hair.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:03 pm
My mother still has my brothers ' hair from some 20-30 years ago! Very Happy

I saved my sons too.

(They are NOT licey! They're packed away in a bag, how could they get licey?)

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I have no idea what reall;y happens, I was told by a mother of a large family when we made ds's upsherenish not to evn think of keeping the hair.

most likely her kids already had the lice before the upshern and she only noticed it when the hair was cut off, so she promptly threw it away.

if she would have kept it, she would know that the lice couldn't survive off the head.
as I said, they feed off the scalp so her theory makes no sense

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:23 pm
Motek wrote:
rachel19977 wrote:

Me too.

We were told by Rav Mordechai Eliyahu to burn the hair from the chalake in the bonfire on Lag ba'omer (this was not at a date close to lag baomer). In fact I have heard that you should keep it until the child gets married and then burn it in the bonfire on lag ba'omer.

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:26 pm
you have to wash negel vaaser if you touch your scalp, not your hair.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:06 pm
I never heard that you're supposed to burn it.
Does Lubavitch also hold that way?
E/o keepsasking me if we were going to sell DS' hair if it's long enough. My brother pointed out, that you prob. can't do that, bec. the hair is part of a mitzvah.
But we were wondering, if we can donate it for a shaitel for a cnacer patient. Is it allowed?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:28 pm
GR wrote:
you have to wash negel vaaser if you touch your scalp, not your hair.

GR, what about a married woman? her hair is normally covered. I'm pretty sure if you touch your (covered) hair, you have to wash after.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:30 pm
you mean if you stick your hand under your sheitle or tichel and touch your hair or do you mean touching your tichel or sheitle?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:32 pm
the first part.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:40 pm
oh so you mean touching her hair that lets say may be sticking out, versus reaching inside and scratching her scalp?

I'm not sure, I always thought that touching the hair still attached to your head was the same as touching your scalp....
on the other hand if I'm learning at home and some hair is sticking out of my tichel and I stick it back in, I don't go wash my hands.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:48 pm
I want to ask a shayla if I can donate it to chai lifeline.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 3:14 pm
Quote:
My brother pointed out, that you prob. can't do that, bec. the hair is part of a mitzvah.

It's not a mitzva. At best it's a minhag. I'm not knocking it, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I haven't a clue whether or not it's tumadik, nor how it should be disposed of.
But your brother's thinking is all wrong. It's not a mitzva.

louche

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 4:10 pm
Chai lifeline does not collect hair for kids with cancer. they tell you to donate the hair to Locks of love, an org that makes wigs for kids with all kinds of disorders that cause them to lose their hair, life-threatening or not. Locks of love has a website that tells you specifics of what they want and how to send it.

first of all, the hair must be at least 10 inches long, and it must be in a ponytail or a braid. if peopl are snipping off bits and pieces here & there, you will have to collect it into a ponytail. BUT you have to make sure the hair is all going in the same direction, IOW all the cut ends near the scalp together, and on the opposite sides all the old ends. This is because when made into a wig, all the hair cuticles must be going in the same direction or it wont lie right and nothing but nothing will make it lie right. it's like velvet that has to be cut with all the pieces going in the same drection or it will loook like 2 different colors. If you send them hair going in diff directions they will not be able to use it--it's impossible to sort out the hairs once they're mixed up this way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics