Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing machine smells
1  2  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:05 am
My washing machine has a terrible smell. It’s less than two years old and not used so heavily. I’ve ran affresh tablets a few times already to try to get rid of it but it didn’t help. Any tips? I’m pregnant and cannot stand the smell but still need to do laundry Can't Believe It

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:08 am
I assume running a cycle with bleach is too smelly for you. If you can handle it, run a cycle with one cup of bleach, and then another cycle to get the bleach out of the machine completely.

A more natural way is to add one cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of plain vinegar, and run a cycle as hot as possible.

When you are not using the machine, leave the door open a bit so it doesn't get musty inside.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:12 am
Same issue with my machine. It's probably the mold that is smelling and you need to clean the filter.
You can try googling How to Remove Mould from a Front Loading Washing Machine and it shows you how to clean it properly.
I still cant figure out to get out mold from all the way inside the rubber.

cuffs

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:14 am
amother wrote:
My washing machine has a terrible smell. It’s less than two years old and not used so heavily. I’ve ran affresh tablets a few times already to try to get rid of it but it didn’t help. Any tips? I’m pregnant and cannot stand the smell but still need to do laundry Can't Believe It

What kind of machine do you have? Is it a front loader? Its could very well be you have mold on the rubber and need to clean it on contact. Afresh wont help that. Also does your machine have a clean tub cycle?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:15 am
cuffs wrote:
What kind of machine do you have? Is it a front loader? Its could very well be you have mold on the rubber and need to clean it on contact. Afresh wont help that. Also does your machine have a clean tub cycle?

yes, it's a front loader, it has an affresh cycle, not sure if that's the clean tub cycle. Do you know how I would clean the mold?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
yes, it's a front loader, it has an affresh cycle, not sure if that's the clean tub cycle. Do you know how I would clean the mold?

That's the right cycle.
But you need to clean the gasket very well before running the next affresh cycle
https://youtu.be/6ZbO3_XGam0

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:08 pm
Wash down inside of rubber with a disinfectant wipe or soapy shmatte. If doesnt help you might have to call down a technician to clean or replace

dankbar

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:09 pm
You can try maybe spraying tilex on the mold

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:12 pm
I tried cleaning it yesterday but couldn't get out a lot of the mold. I tried many different ways. If anyone knows a tried and true way to easily get out the mold from the rubber, please let me know.

Marigold

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:12 pm
I agree abt checking the gasket. Sometimes it’s worthy of replacing it although it is costly.
As an aside it’s always recommended to leave the washer open when not in use and be on top of cleaning the gasket. I also run bleach cycles every now and then to kill any lingering mold.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:14 pm
Marigold wrote:
I agree abt checking the gasket. Sometimes it’s worthy of replacing it although it is costly.
As an aside it’s always recommended to leave the washer open when not in use and be on top of cleaning the gasket. I also run bleach cycles every now and then to kill any lingering mold.

How do you run a bleach cycle? (I probably shouldn't as I'm pregnant now.)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
How do you run a bleach cycle? (I probably shouldn't as I'm pregnant now.)

If the affresh tablets didn't do the trick, bleach won't either.
Call the company of your machine and speak to them about ordering a replacement gasket. It sounds like the mold is already embedded in the rubber.

iammom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:30 pm
Besides for the above pieces of advice, check the detergent loading drawer - tonz of mold can accumulate in it. A lot of these drawers have a plastic inside that pops out in a bunch of pieces so it’s easy to clean.

And make sure to ALWAYS keep the door to the machine at least slightly open so the dampness can get out.

I’ve learned th me hard way. Rolling Eyes

mommyla

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:00 pm
I just did a heavy duty cleaning on my gasket. I always leave the door open and wipe excess water out of the gasket, but it still smelled. I finally took Q-tips and really got into every cranny... there are 3 small holes in the center of the gasket and there was a disgusting amount of gloppy stuff in there. Ran a tub clean cycle and no more smell!

simcha2

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:15 pm
I assume you know this, but with a front loader you have to keep the door open when not in use, so that it can dry and air out and to prevent mold growth.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:16 pm
I know about keeping the door open but it’s in a tight closet so I can’t keep it open or it would block my hallway.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
I know about keeping the door open but it’s in a tight closet so I can’t keep it open or it would block my hallway.

Can you keep it open an inch or two?

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:21 pm
mommyla wrote:
I just did a heavy duty cleaning on my gasket. I always leave the door open and wipe excess water out of the gasket, but it still smelled. I finally took Q-tips and really got into every cranny... there are 3 small holes in the center of the gasket and there was a disgusting amount of gloppy stuff in there. Ran a tub clean cycle and no more smell!

I am gonna try Qtips next time. I had alot of success with toothpicks to clean out the guck.
I am always cleaning and looking for more tips how to keep the mold away.
I find the detergent drawer also has a smell.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
You'll keep having this issue.
Have you tried a laundry lasso to keep it just slightly ajar?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You'll keep having this issue.
Have you tried a laundry lasso to keep it just slightly ajar?

Never heard of it. Thanks so much for the tip b
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry