Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Looking for special needs school
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 1:33 pm
Hi everyone I really need help to look for a Jewish special needs Yeshiva for my seven-year-old daughter who is currently in second grade in school called SLCD - tiegermans located in glen cove ny /awesome school for the delayed kids -the only negative is that it’s not Jewish and I want her to have a more of a Jewish education .

She is currently in a class of 12:2:2. Her IEP says that she has cognitive delays due to microcephaly (small head size) she doesn’t have any other issues. She just needs smaller classroom and more individualized attention and broken down instructions

I live in queens and there is nothing here except the YESS program which I visited and thought that it was a bit too delayed for her needs.

Can someone recommend any other programs in Long Island or Brooklyn
I checked out a school in Brooklyn called Gesher Yehudah - which I liked but I d like to hear some reviews about that school.

If anyone can please comment or recommend any school they know of- I would really truly appreciate it.

Thank you

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:30 pm
Have you checked out Yaldeinu. The ppl there are very helpful at finding kids the place they belong

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 3:35 pm
I visited gesher yehuda and yess and liked both programs. you mentioned that yess is too restrictive but they are self contained classes whereas yess has options for integration in mainstream. Just a thought.

You can check out Sinai in Riverdale. Ivdu for girls, or chush for girls. We are super happy in Tiferes Mordechai (for my son). The program is absolutely fabulous and caters to boys and girls with different levels of learning.

chestnut

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 5:53 pm
What about IVDU in Brooklyn?

otsrock

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:43 pm
Please Pm me.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:51 pm
Btw, regarding having a more Jewish education, my Rebbi advised our family many years ago (for an autistic child): first let him be a mensch and then will come his yiddishkeit.
We sent him to a non Jewish special needs school and we taught him yiddishkeit at home.
He's now an older teenager in a top Yeshivah and no one would guess he has autism. He acts and behaves normal. He's ehrlich and mentchlich bh!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:
Btw, regarding having a more Jewish education, my Rebbi advised our family many years ago (for an autistic child): first let him be a mensch and then will come his yiddishkeit.
We sent him to a non Jewish special needs school and we taught him yiddishkeit at home.
He's now an older teenager in a top Yeshivah and no one would guess he has autism. He acts and behaves normal. He's ehrlich and mentchlich bh!

That was advice specific to your situation. There's no indication that op's situation is similar. Although I'm happy things turned out well for you, it isn't appropriate for everyone.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:11 pm
My friend sent her son from SLCD to YESS and was very happy. After a year or two they started mainstreaming him and he went to a mainstream high school.

nicole81

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:47 pm
I have a dd that is graduating yess this year and is hoping to get into a rigorous high school program. I'm surprised you found it too low level. She's on grade level in some subjects, and mainstreams into ycq classes. They also group the kids heterogeneously, so everyone is given instruction that's appropriately challenging for their levels. I researched a great number of schools, and I found them to be the best option for someone who couldn't quite make it in a mainstream program.

Her friends who have gone to ivdu had a much lower level of secular education, with no option of mainstreaming. I considered gesher yehuda for 6th grade, but ultimately felt my dd would be better off with the option of mainstreaming. Plus they had way more boys than girls at the time.

Some other options are yaldeinu and kulanu. And the chush girl's program in Brooklyn, which goes up to 6th grade. Plus ptach. My dd has a friend at the by drav meir ptach program who is very happy.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:15 pm
Pathways in brooklyn

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out. For some of us, Jewish schools are sadly not an option at this point, and it's a comfort to hear this. If OP is unable to find a Jewish school that will help her daughter grow and develop to her full potential, this may comfort her as well.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for pointing this out. For some of us, Jewish schools are sadly not an option at this point, and it's a comfort to hear this. If OP is unable to find a Jewish school that will help her daughter grow and develop to her full potential, this may comfort her as well.

OP here- Thank you everyone for your replies. I don’t know if it’s normal or not but she is like a sponge she seems to be very much involved in the cultural process the whole school goes through when it comes to the holiday times. She sings their songs she repeats what they are sayings wants to participate in their plays. I feel like her soul is absorning too much of the non jewish environment. She goes to Hebrew school once a week- we keep a very kosher and observant home- I was also told by a Rabbi that if I find a Jewish school that’s is as good as her current education then I need to switch- I guess I’m on a hunt to really go and see if there is an equivalent.

I found the YESS program to be very depressing looking- the kids seemed too delayed - lots of physical disabilities- and the environment is dark and not welcoming. I just need something where the kids are slightly cognitively delayed very small setting and good education- I don’t even mind if it’s mixed.

I did see gesher yehudah and liked the environment- I was Hoping to find out some details regarding the education level if they really deliver what they claim to stand for.
Also most of the schools don’t have a 12 month program which is very vital for her progress. I’m just wondering what kind of programs you might be aware of that are educational for These types of kids in the summer

Thank you all

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:

Which school did you send him to?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 10:28 pm
Yavneh Academy and Moriah in Bergen County have good special needs programs.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 8:06 pm
Bumping this, is there a school for special Ed kids who are also gifted?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:05 pm
I only know Brooklyn schools.
It sounds like she needs a school geared towards learning disabled vs special needs.
The girls school by chush may be an option.
If you would consider gusher yehuda then yaldeinu and tiferes mordechai are definitely not for you. They cater to a different population.
Ivdu may be an option as well, although I wasn't happy there, it can be a great place for the right child.
Good luck!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I only know Brooklyn schools.
It sounds like she needs a school geared towards learning disabled vs special needs.
The girls school by chush may be an option.
If you would consider gusher yehuda then yaldeinu and tiferes mordechai are definitely not for you. They cater to a different population.
Ivdu may be an option as well, although I wasn't happy there, it can be a great place for the right child.
Good luck!

Any Brooklyn schools that would deal with a child that is a genius but have ADHD for example and is very distracted?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:28 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Any Brooklyn schools that would deal with a child that is a genius but have ADHD for example and is very distracted?

Not that I can think of but that doesn't mean no. I don't know all the schools out there nor the kids they cater to.
Sounds like you need a gifted program.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Not that I can think of but that doesn't mean no. I don't know all the schools out there nor the kids they cater to.
Sounds like you need a gifted program.

Yes,it's complicated because it's both, it's gifted because child is gifted but at the same time needs a place where teachers are more tolerant of distractibility, speaking out of turn, so it's a challenge to find a place that caters to a special needs extremely gifted child.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 09 2021, 10:07 pm
My friend sends to Tiferes mordechai her daughter is a class of 12. She says it’s a fantastic place!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)