Home

“The Inmates Are Running The Asylum”
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Fox




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:08 pm
Double-post. It's -7 and the Internet is cold!

Last edited by Fox on Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:12 pm
Fox wrote:
Double-post. It's -7 and the Internet is cold!


Is your fur coat helping?
I think that there was some miscomprehension here, and couple that with the understandable triggering of Hitler references and we've got a genuine flaming thread.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:17 pm
How is pointing out that some Jews, particularly the more integrated German Jews, did support Hitler.

That that is similar to do today supporting anti-semites who hate Israel seems obvious comparison. We can discuss whether it's accurate or not (maybe you don't think people who hate Israel are anti Semitic for instance) .
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:19 pm
Fox wrote:
The only thing I can figure out is that you've found somewhere that will pay you to go around taking -- in fact, grabbing -- offense wherever possible.

I'm not a fan of casual Nazi comparisons, but here's an idea: I gather you think that Squishy's use of the comparison was inaccurate or minimizes the Holocaust. How about making an actual argument rather than telling her how disgusting you find her.

Then, in turn, she can present the reasons she feels her comparison is apropos.

Even if people don't agree with you, it gives them something to think about.

Or, hey, you can keep telling people how disgusting you find them. I don't recall that being one of the classical persuasion techniques, but maybe I had a bad translation of Cicero.


This shouldn't need a proof.

You've frequently complained that you've been called a racist, nazi etc because Trump supporters have been called those things. How about courtesy the other way? Not lumping all people who disagree with you as similar to Hitler supporters, brain dead etc.

I have repeatedly asked Squishy to back up her assertions. She seems unable to so she is resorting to infantile insults (but at least she hasn't mentioned the hats!)
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Is your fur coat helping?
I think that there was some miscomprehension here, and couple that with the understandable triggering of Hitler references and we've got a genuine flaming thread.

No fur coat here. And my handbags are of no help since I'm not sticking my nose outside. They're bascially telling everyone to shelter in place and stay inside unless it's a life-or-death emergency. Expecting a low tonight of -25 with a wind chill of -50. Frostbite can occur within 1-3 minutes.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
How is pointing out that some Jews, particularly the more integrated German Jews, did support Hitler.

That that is similar to do today supporting anti-semites who hate Israel seems obvious comparison. We can discuss whether it's accurate or not (maybe you don't think people who hate Israel are anti Semitic for instance) .


How would you feel if you were told, those that label immigrants as "other" and support the separating of children from their families are acting like Nazis.

Make you feel good?
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:23 pm
simcha2 wrote:
How would you feel if you were told, those that label immigrants as "other" and support the separating of children from their families are acting like Nazis.

Make you feel good?

Im happy to discuss it.

ICE is separating people who claim to be family but DON'T have documentation.

The purpose of this policy is to deter child trafficking.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:29 pm
simcha2 wrote:
You've frequently complained that you've been called a racist, nazi etc because Trump supporters have been called those things. How about courtesy the other way? Not lumping all people who disagree with you as similar to Hitler supporters, brain dead etc.

Um, right. That's exactly what I was suggesting.

If you think someone is wrong about something, you demonstrate it through an evidence-based argument, not with insults.

And if you feel someone has insulted you, you point out the fallacy of their insult.

Fortunately, most people here on Imamother are too smart to call me a racist, though they like to skirt the edge sometimes to see how far they can push me. This is because they've learned that name-calling doesn't work with me. I'll just rebut their arguments.

So if someone feels she's been unfairly associated with loathsome people or characteristics, then challenge that association -- don't prove the point by having a hissy fit.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:29 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Im happy to discuss it.

ICE is separating people who claim to be family but DON'T have documentation.

The purpose of this policy is to deter child trafficking.


Squishy isn't discusding anything. She is making wide and wild accusations.

(BTW, you're a very small percent right and largely wrong). Does that make you 95% a Nazi?
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:31 pm
Fox wrote:
Um, right. That's exactly what I was suggesting.

If you think someone is wrong about something, you demonstrate it through an evidence-based argument, not with insults.

And if you feel someone has insulted you, you point out the fallacy of their insult.

Fortunately, most people here on Imamother are too smart to call me a racist, though they like to skirt the edge sometimes to see how far they can push me. This is because they've learned that name-calling doesn't work with me. I'll just rebut their arguments.

So if someone feels she's been unfairly associated with loathsome people or characteristics, then challenge that association -- don't prove the point by having a hissy fit.


Oh please, Squishy hasn't made a single provable argument in this thread.

She complained about redistribution of wealth.

Here is an article from ITEP, the bipartisan think tank.

https://itep.org/new-analysis-.....alth/

I'd be interested in an intelligent response.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:32 pm
simcha2 wrote:
How would you feel if you were told, those that label immigrants as "other" and support the separating of children from their families are acting like Nazis.

Make you feel good?

"Or, as I call it, Tuesday!"
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:34 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Squishy isn't discusding anything. She is making wide and wild accusations.

(BTW, you're a very small percent right and largely wrong). Does that make you 95% a Nazi?

You think I'm wrong? Tell me why, rationally.

Resorting to ad hominems makes you look weak. No one called anyone a Nazi until you did.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:35 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Im happy to discuss it.

ICE is separating people who claim to be family but DON'T have documentation.

The purpose of this policy is to deter child trafficking.


Here is a quote from Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen: Under the "zero tolerance" policy, when families cross the border illegally, "Operationally, what that means is we will have to separate your family. That's no different than what we do every day in every part of the United States when an adult of a family commits a crime
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:36 pm
simcha2 wrote:
How would you feel if you were told, those that label immigrants as "other" and support the separating of children from their families are acting like Nazis.

Make you feel good?

First, illegal aliens is not the same thing as legal immigrants, do not conflate the two groups as it is offensive to immigrants who came here legally (both of my parents included who waited a long time to come legally).

Second, Trump is not the one who started the practice of separating children from whoever they are with most of whom are not with their own families and presumably need protection from whoever brought them to America. Children who are American citizens are also removed from their homes/families if there is neglect/abuse so illegal aliens are not above that regardless of how you feel about it.

Finally, Hitler called Jews aliens despite them being law abiding citizens in the countries they resided. Illegal aliens are not law abiding citizens in America, have no right to be in America and should not be conflated with law abiding immigrants who came here legally. Illegal aliens should be deported in accordance to the law without anyone stopping it from happening as it is not the same thing as deporting citizens like Hitler did.

That said, Hitler was obsessed with what he called "Jew Privilege" and worked hard to eliminate it and that is what we are seeing in America but here you call it "white privilege" which the left is trying to eliminate (through affirmative action programs that allows discrimination against whites and higher taxes for rich people which the left mostly categorizes as white, etc). This needs to stop before there is a genocide against White people in America (and especially since Jews are being placed in the "white" category which is just a pretext for anti-semitism-- this includes all the people who are anti-Israel as well).
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:36 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Here is a quote from Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen: Under the "zero tolerance" policy, when families cross the border illegally, "Operationally, what that means is we will have to separate your family. That's no different than what we do every day in every part of the United States when an adult of a family commits a crime

Yes? That doesn't contradict what I said?
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:38 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Yes? That doesn't contradict what I said?


Yes. It does. It is zero tolerance. ALL families, regardless of documentation. Look it up.
Back to top

simcha2




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
First, illegal aliens is not the same thing as legal immigrants, do not conflate the two groups as it is offensive to immigrants who came here legally (both of my parents included who waited a long time to come legally).

Second, Trump is not the one who started the practice of separating children from whoever they are with most of whom are not with their own families and presumably need protection from whoever brought them to America. Children who are American citizens are also removed from their homes/families if there is neglect/abuse so illegal aliens are not above that regardless of how you feel about it.

Finally, Hitler called Jews aliens despite them being law abiding citizens in the countries they resided. Illegal aliens are not law abiding citizens in America, have no right to be in America and should not be conflated with law abiding immigrants who came here legally. Illegal aliens should be deported in accordance to the law without anyone stopping it from happening as it is not the same thing as deporting citizens like Hitler did.

That said, Hitler was obsessed with what he called "Jew Privilege" and worked hard to eliminate it and that is what we are seeing in America but here you call it "white privilege" which the left is trying to eliminate (through affirmative action programs that allows discrimination against whites and higher taxes for rich people which the left mostly categorizes as white, etc). This needs to stop before there is a genocide against White people in America (and especially since Jews are being placed in the "white" category which is just a pretext for anti-semitism-- this includes all the people who are anti-Israel as well).


As a legal immigrant I'll decide whether I'll be offended.

You're right, Trump didn't start it, he just expanded it to all families without any way in place to reunite the families.

If you believe there is a genocide against white people imminent in this country you have real problems.
Back to top

amother




Amber


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 7:48 pm
simcha2 wrote:
As a legal immigrant I'll decide whether I'll be offended.

You're right, Trump didn't start it, he just expanded it to all families without any way in place to reunite the families.

If you believe there is a genocide against white people imminent in this country you have real problems.

You can be offended all you want or not be offended at all but you can't stop people from talking about it and calling illegal aliens exactly that, illegal aliens. You call yourself a legal immigrant, why do you think that someone who came here illegally deserves the same status as you? Why did you bother coming here legally when so many people are flaunting the laws and coming illegally and being rewarded for it?

Genocide doesn't happen overnight. It took a few years for Hitler to rise to power but the whole "Jew Privilege" started way before then so don't delude yourself into thinking or believing that history can't repeat itself.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:08 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Oh please, Squishy hasn't made a single provable argument in this thread.

She complained about redistribution of wealth.

Here is an article from ITEP, the bipartisan think tank.

https://itep.org/new-analysis-.....alth/

I'd be interested in an intelligent response.

I am not Squishy; I don't speak for her.

However, here's a response to the article you linked:

The primary argument it makes is that the wealthy benefit more from the tax cut than do middle-class taxpayers. However, that's kind of a no-brainer. Of course they do! Why? Because they pay more in taxes.

The top ten percent of households based on income are paying 80 percent of federal income taxes. So, obviously, if you cut federal income taxes, it's going to benefit them more. But that doesn't mean its not a good thing.

First of all, a modest cut to a middle-class tax bill will likely have more impact than the same percentage tax cut to a wealthy person. This is how Nancy Pelosi got into hot water when she called the tax cut "crumbs." Yes, to her, $1000 is "crumbs." To most Americans, that's significant.

Secondly, when rich people get to keep more of their money, they don't hide it under their mattresses. They invest it. Nor do their brokers keep in under their mattresses. It is used to expand businesses and ultimately lowers the cost of debt. That leads to more hiring, which leads to greater consumer confidence. Consumer confidence leads to more investment in capital improvements.

The article you cited presents a steep progressive tax as a given positive. In fact, I would much prefer as flat a tax as possible.

The impact on unemployment rates is critical, too. While real wages have not kept pace with the cost of living for several decades, the costs are not evenly distributed. Education and health care have driven up the average. However, having more people working increases the experience and value of the work force, and that in turn leads to greater productivity down the road.

Not to mention the human cost. People don't want to be slaves of the government, their hands out each month for whatever pittance the government doles out. They almost always prefer to work, gain experience, and attempt to find better opportunities.

WaPo
Back to top

princessleah




 
 
 


Post  Tue, Jan 29 2019, 8:24 pm
I think the title of this thread is an accurate description of this thread!!!
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 7 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Watch the impeachment hearings live
by WhatFor
40 Today at 7:34 pm View last post
Are your eyebrows and hair the same color?
by amother
10 Today at 3:41 pm View last post
Which hotel in Yerushalayim has the best breakfast?
by amother
29 Today at 3:19 pm View last post
Help making a whole turkey for the first time
by amother
11 Today at 12:21 pm View last post
The Westgate Shoe Gemach
by amother
4 Today at 11:54 am View last post

Jump to: