Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sweet Chocolate Braided Bread - aka Chocolate Challah

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:57 pm
Sweet Chocolate Braided Bread

Notes are author's

Source: Dennis Weaver. “A Baker's Guide to Chocolate: A Collection of Recipes and Useful Information

While challah is a traditional bread baked for the Jewish Sabbath, it has become popular with everyone, everywhere. It’s attractive and has a firm, egg-rich texture that works for dinner, sandwiches, or French toast. It is typically braided with three, four, or six strands of dough. (The braided strands are symbolic of love.)

Challah is really very easy to make. There is a sense of satisfaction in working the dough by hand and crafting such an attractive bread and it certainly will impress your guests.
In this version, we added chocolate for the dough and a chocolate cream cheese filling and then we drizzled the bread with a chocolate cream cheese glaze. It may not be real challah but it is absolutely scrumptious—maybe our best chocolate bread ever.

This recipe can be doubled.

Ingredients

3 to 3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 packet instant active dry yeast
3/4 cup water, heated to 110 degrees 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg at room temperature

For the filling

5 ounces cream cheese
1 ounce semisweet baking chocolate, melted 3 tablespoons”
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

1. Mix about one cup of the flour, the yeast, and the heated water until smooth. This will hydrate the instant yeast. If you are using other than instant yeast, hydrate the yeast separately.

2. Add the brown sugar, cocoa, butter, salt, and egg and mix. Add enough of the remaining bread flour to make a soft but not tacky dough. Knead until the gluten is developed, about four minutes with a stand-type mixer at medium speed. Set the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let it stand until doubled, about one hour.

3. To make the filling, beat the cream cheese until soft and smooth. Add the melted chocolate while it is still hot and mix until smooth. Add the sugar, flour, egg yolk, vanilla, and nutmeg and mix until smooth.

4. Once the dough has risen, use a knife to divide the dough into three equal pieces. Roll the dough pieces with a rolling pin to rectangles 15 inches by 5 inches. Spread one-third of the filling down the center of each leaving a one-inch border with no filling. Roll the rectangle into fifteen-inch long ropes with the filling inside. Pinch any seams together and roll the ropes with your hands on the counter until smooth.

5. Braid the three ropes as if you were braiding pigtails. (Some people find it easier to create a symmetrical shape if they start braiding from the center.) When you get to the ends, wet them, pinch them together, and tuck “ them under. You should have a neat, symmetrical loaf when you are through. You can shape the loaf somewhat with your hands. If you don’t like how the loaf looks, simply pull the braids apart and start again.
Prepare a large baking sheet by greasing it and sprinkling it with cornmeal. Place the loaf on the pan, cover the loaf, and let it rise until doubled, about one hour.

6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 20 minutes then cover the bread with a large sheet of aluminum foil and bake for another ten to fifteen minutes to until done. The bread should “thump” when tapped on the bottom and the interior of the loaf should register 190 degrees with an insta-read thermometer. Let the bread cool on a wire rack.

7. While the bread is cooling, make the glaze. With a hand-held mixer, beat one ounce cream cheese with one teaspoon vanilla. Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa with enough warm water to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the chocolate glaze generously over the bread.

Baker’s notes: To quickly bring an egg to room temperature, place it I n a cup of warm water.

zaq

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:50 pm
Sound delicious but challah it is NOT. It is a cake in bread’s clothing. And a milchik one, no less! Serious galactic issues with that unless you shape it or mark it in a distinctive way that makes it obvious that it’s milchik. I would use a razor blade to slash the word Milchik into the surface before baking IF I would make this.

Which I wouldn’t. I’m a purist. I like food that’s honest about its identity. Bread that’s clearly bread and unquestionably hamotzi, cake that’s clearly cake and unquestionably mezonos..

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 6:55 pm
I understand your post but I do think that anything that is yeast risen and kneaded is "bread" - albeit sweet bread. I've had divine chocolate bread and the consistency is that of bread more than cake. Is cinnamon swirled raisin bread or date nut bread not "bread"? Irish Soda bread is leavened with baking soda and is considered to be a bread Very Happy

As far as it being milchik, it makes a great brunch type of offering with bagels and lox or a cheesy breakfast casserole LOL .

But of course it isn't traditional challah which is where the aka in the title derives Smile .

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:39 am
zaq wrote:
milchik ... Serious galactic issues with that

I realize this is due to autocornet but that's one of the best ones I've ever seen

https://www.etymonline.com/word/galaxy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads