Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Another Shtisel thread ;)
Previous  1  2  3  Next

etky

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:37 am
amother wrote:
I watched episode 1 out of curiosity and I thought it was okay... yes a little sad but okay. I didn’t continue watching but should I????

Yes.
It took me a good 2 or 3 episodes before I really got into the series.
Also, I think the second season is actually better than the first.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:22 am
If you understand Hebrew and are a little familiar with Yerushalmi culture, it's actually very funny. I found it so entertaining how they captured and exaggerated on different cultural nuances.

Yes, the plot has some sad parts, but that's just for drama. The subtle humor in it was great and I laughed my way through it.

Abby2

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:28 am
The acting was phenomenal.
I felt the plot had some very deep and clever themes.
I enjoyed it a lot.

My4Jewels

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:29 am
What am I missing.. why is it sad? I watched both seasons.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:53 am
Sad? Like what? I find the saddest is that

SPOILER SPOOILER SPOILER

Giti stays with a good for nothing cheater, though it's good for the kids

Many religious sefardim speak Yiddish. My dad couldn't believe it

potatoes

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:04 am
I watched the first two seasons on YouTube, where can I watch the rest?

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 9:16 am
I didn’t find it sad ; on the contrary it was thought provoking with humorous moments . A very well done show ! Wish they would have more seasons as I found it didn’t end well.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:24 am
I don't find the plot lines to be unrealistic. There are all kinds of people all over the world. They have their own agendas, motivations, and ideas about how the world should work. I love that they show all kinds of people; good, bad, complicated, and messy.

I absolutely adore the grandma and her friend at the nursing home. That rebbetzin has a mouth on her! LOL

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:30 am
The father reminded me so much of my own father. It took me many years to realize that my mean, cold father was actually a human with feelings that he didn’t know how to translate from within him to the rest of the world. Don’t know if that makes sense :-) but I felt I understood the father character a lot, and that’s why it was very emotional for me.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:28 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Sad? Like what? I find the saddest is that

SPOILER SPOOILER SPOILER

Giti stays with a good for nothing cheater, though it's good for the kids

Many religious sefardim speak Yiddish. My dad couldn't believe it

I actually loved how you first think Lippe is this big monster but then you see him as a real person who cares about his family as well. It helped me to understand how/why many women do choose to stay in such marriages. There's a history to the marriage as well- he wasn't always like that and he's trying to go back to how it was. I loved that scene where he's trying to talk to Ruchami and she throws the posters and the flour at him and he explains himself a bit.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:42 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im going to assume that most, if not all, of the actors and actresses had to learn yiddish for the show. They are all secular israelis.

The grandmother (possibly both of the actors who play her, the first one passed away) probably were actually yiddish speakers, the first actor, Hanna Reiber, is from Romania.

Loved Rebbetzin Erblich.

Liked Lippe too. Although perhaps I would be less sympathetic if the show actually went into what he got up to in Argentina.

etky

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
The father reminded me so much of my own father. It took me many years to realize that my mean, cold father was actually a human with feelings that he didn’t know how to translate from within him to the rest of the world. Don’t know if that makes sense :-) but I felt I understood the father character a lot, and that’s why it was very emotional for me.

I think that Shulem was perhaps the most interesting character in the show.
As well as Sasson Gabai played Nuchem, his character is somewhat of a caricature whereas there are layers of complexity to Shulem and unexpected facets that are revealed as the show progresses.
Ugh, this thread has gotten me missing this series again Sad

gingertop

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:37 pm
etky wrote:
I think that Shulem was perhaps the most interesting character in the show.
As well as Sasson Gabai played Nuchem, his character is somewhat of a caricature whereas there are layers of complexity to Shulem and unexpected facets that are revealed as the show progresses.
Ugh, this thread has gotten me missing this series again Sad

I was crying when Shulem bought his son's painting. That episode was such a masterpiece of mixed emotions, anger, tenderness..

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 6:34 pm
I don't think it's sad at all. People make bad choices. Recording and stalking a woman, listening to her voice even though he's engaged... Those are terrible choices. It's not sad, it's stupid. The father eating at the neighbours all the time, getting her hopes up ... Bad choice. Her letting him use her, bad choice. The only one I felt bad for was the grandma.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:04 pm
Believe it or not, there are secular Israelis who speak Yiddish very well.secular sefardim, less so.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 2:28 am
potatoes wrote:
I watched the first two seasons on YouTube, where can I watch the rest?
Thats it, there are no more seasons.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 6:46 am
amother wrote:
I actually loved how you first think Lippe is this big monster but then you see him as a real person who cares about his family as well. It helped me to understand how/why many women do choose to stay in such marriages. There's a history to the marriage as well- he wasn't always like that and he's trying to go back to how it was. I loved that scene where he's trying to talk to Ruchami and she throws the posters and the flour at him and he explains himself a bit.

He's not bad all around, but still it doesn't justify how low he fell and how he betrayed his wife. I do understand she was stuck, and she thought of the kids, and the second one is ok.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:59 pm
iyar wrote:
על טעם וריח
אין להתווכח
Smile

חסדי השם

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:04 am
I finished season 2, and there are SO many loose ends!

There is a lot of room in the story lines to expand to at least one more season, if not two.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Feb 03 2019, 2:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I finished season 2, and there are SO many loose ends!

There is a lot of room in the story lines to expand to at least one more season, if not two.
I so agree. I wish there were a few more seasons as well. Oh well, hasnt happened yet and 5 years have passed, so.... Sad
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics