Home

Actor with Jewish Father Attacked, Told This is MAGA Country
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


mommy3b2c




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
You think your daughter would assault a man and place a noose around his neck?

Or you just think its hysterical that it happened?

I do apologize for reporting what was in the media at the time. Let's see what happens as the story develops.


Omg. Please get a sense of humor.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:13 am
The way it works is that one website says that something happened

and then the rest of the news says that they verified that the website says that something happens

but no one actually verifies the actual story with the police
Back to top

WhatFor




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 7:39 am
ectomorph wrote:
The way it works is that one website says that something happened

and then the rest of the news says that they verified that the website says that something happens

but no one actually verifies the actual story with the police


The Wall Street Journal claims to have verified it with the police and that he told the police they did yell maga as well as homophobic and racist slurs. Where are you seeing that the police are denying it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/e.....1548802219
Back to top

yo'ma




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:41 am
It's horrible he was attacked whether or not it was a hate crime. If it was a hate crime, it will be added to the statistics as such and from what I've read, sadly there were still more the other way around. Not talking about homophobic attacks. There are crazy and terrible people everywhere.
Back to top

amother




Magenta


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 9:25 am
ectomorph wrote:
yes well apparently it has now been clarified that this never happened (the maga comments)


Whats your point?

Forget that something really terrible happened to someone and focus on political angle of the reporting?
Back to top

cbsp




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
Whats your point?

Forget that something really terrible happened to someone and focus on political angle of the reporting?


Something terrible did happen.

Would the incident have been initially disseminated so extensively without the political angle?

It's disingenuous to emphasize that aspect of a story and then when it's proven false (not necessarily in this case because there doesn't seem to be clarity yet) to use that as proof of not caring about the horrific act.
Back to top

amother




Cyan


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 9:01 pm
cbsp wrote:
Something terrible did happen.

Would the incident have been initially disseminated so extensively without the political angle?

It's disingenuous to emphasize that aspect of a story and then when it's proven false (not necessarily in this case because there doesn't seem to be clarity yet) to use that as proof of not caring about the horrific act.


https://www.chicagotribune.com.....story.html

Quote:
Police say two people approached Smollett about 2 a.m. Tuesday as he was walking in the 300 block of East North Lower Water Street and got his attention by yelling racial and homophobic slurs. Smollett is black and openly gay.

Smollett was hit and an unknown chemical substance was poured on him, according to police. A rope was wrapped around Smollett’s neck before the attackers fled the scene, police said.

Smollett also told police during a follow up interview that they said to him: “This is MAGA country,’’ during the alleged attack.


Of course, the people who complain about fake news and the political angle of news will continue insisting that the attack never happened regardless of how many times it's corroborated.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 9:16 pm
ectomorph wrote:
yes well apparently it has now been clarified that this never happened (the maga comments)


How has this been clarified since the articles I read state that it is his testimony and only he and the as yet uncaught assailants know what was said.

And of course an attack on a famous AA actor who was found with a noose around his neck would be widely reported. One certainly didn't need the MAGA angle to make it newsworthy.

It was newsworthy because he is famous (crass reason) and because is shows that wealth and fame don't necessarily protect one from hate crimes.
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:34 pm
According to updates from Rafer Weigel, a well-respected reporter for the local Fox affiliate, police are still investigating but are somewhat skeptical that this was a hate crime.

Several witnesses have come toward to report that Smollett was involved in an altercation at a club prior to the incident. He had also received a threatening letter several weeks ago, which had been turned over to the FBI.

Police have also been unable to find any video footage of the attack or possible attackers. They did release "person of interest" photos, but they are unclear and only show two men walking in the opposite direction prior to the time of the attack.

So this is looking less like Smollett was targeted for being black and gay and more like he was specifically targeted by people who had deliberately followed him.
U
Again, not saying that hitting on someone's boyfriend at a club should get you beaten up, etc. Just saying that there probably aren't MAGA-crazed racist, homophobic gangs roaiming thpe streets.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:41 pm
The hypocrisy of people never ceases to amaze me. Copious threads seeing anti Semitisk everywhere but lots of posts casting doubt that an attack on Smollet could be a hate crime.

Whether it is or isn’t I can’t help compare to the thread on the couple who were removed from an airplane and posters who were sure it was because they were Jewish and that it would never have happened to an odiferous person of color.


Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 10:56 pm
WhatFor wrote:
The Wall Street Journal claims to have verified it with the police and that he told the police they did yell maga as well as homophobic and racist slurs. Where are you seeing that the police are denying it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/e.....1548802219


The police are saying he only told them after tmz published it. Not before.
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:04 pm
Police are combing through hundreds of hours of surveillance videos from surrounding businesses looking for the culprits. So far, nothing
https://www.washingtonpost.com.....283f3e428f
Back to top

WhatFor




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
The police are saying he only told them after tmz published it. Not before.


Can you post the news source where you read this? I didn't see that in the WSJ article I posted.
Back to top

amother




Magenta


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:15 pm
cbsp wrote:
Something terrible did happen.

Would the incident have been initially disseminated so extensively without the political angle?

It's disingenuous to emphasize that aspect of a story and then when it's proven false (not necessarily in this case because there doesn't seem to be clarity yet) to use that as proof of not caring about the horrific act.


I didn’t suggest anything about ‘not caring’.. just seems a bit lacking in taste to argue over what was or wasn’t said after a brutal attack.
Back to top

WhatFor




 
 
 


Post  Wed, Jan 30 2019, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
I didn’t suggest anything about ‘not caring’.. just seems a bit lacking in taste to argue over what was or wasn’t said after a brutal attack.


It's not lacking in taste. It speaks to the attacker's motives. If an elderly Jew was beat up and the attacker yelled anti-Semitic slurs, would you feel the slurs were irrelevant and we should just be discussing the fact that a man was attacked as though it was arbitrary?
Back to top

amother




Magenta


Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:10 am
WhatFor wrote:
It's not lacking in taste. It speaks to the attacker's motives. If an elderly Jew was beat up and the attacker yelled anti-Semitic slurs, would you feel the slurs were irrelevant and we should just be discussing the fact that a man was attacked as though it was arbitrary?


I don’t know why we are talking about it at all.

What does it “prove” if these thugs made these comments or didn’t make these comments.

The crime didn’t change. The target didn’t change.

If it’s a hate crime, it’s a hate crime.
Back to top

WhatFor




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
I don’t know why we are talking about it at all.

What does it “prove” if these thugs made these comments or didn’t make these comments.

The crime didn’t change. The target didn’t change.

If it’s a hate crime, it’s a hate crime.


Not all assaults are hate crimes. The motivation does literally change the nature of the crime/charge.
It's only a hate crime if the motivation is hate based on race/religion/nationality/social group, etc, depending on the relevant local law. Otherwise it's a standard assault/battery.

The comments the attackers made inform the police/prosecutor's office whether that person should be charged with a hate crime.
Back to top

amother




Magenta


Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:25 am
WhatFor wrote:
Not all assaults are hate crimes. The motivation does literally change the nature of the crime/charge.
It's only a hate crime if the motivation is hate based on race/religion/nationality/social group, etc, depending on the relevant local law. Otherwise it's a standard assault/battery.

The comments the attackers made inform the police/prosecutor's office whether that person should be charged with a hate crime.


whether the attackers made a MAGA comment or not does not the difference, in determining if it’s a hate crime. The apparent rope around his neck would be rather good evidence.

I just started reading on this now. Sounds like a lot of people think none of it happened as reported.
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:27 am
... z
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 12:29 am
WhatFor wrote:
Can you post the news source where you read this? I didn't see that in the WSJ article I posted.


https://twitter.com/RobElgasAB.....26657?s=20

His manager did tell police he heard it over the phone.

Personally I think it is very important for news to be reported accurately and now how we want it to be.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bris when baby's father isn't Jewish
by amother
11 Yesterday at 9:39 am View last post
What are the demographics of the Jewish community in Brookly
by amother
18 Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:16 am View last post
How do you look Jewish??
by amother
33 Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:51 am View last post
I need a new Jewish book to read this Shabbos... 7 Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:50 pm View last post
S/O Is veganism against Jewish values?
by amother
83 Sun, Aug 18 2019, 12:51 pm View last post

Jump to: