Home

Actor with Jewish Father Attacked, Told This is MAGA Country
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

DrMom

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:35 am
So... any evidence that this attack took place as described? The story seems more than a bit odd...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u.....er-n965371

I am beginning to think this was a bit of trolling and the media just ran with it.

amother

Pearl

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:17 pm
2 am
-20 degree weather
2 white rednecks hanging around with a noose and bleach (or chemical substance or white powder) waiting to ambush someone
Waited 1 hour to call police while wearing the noose
Didn’t say anything To doorman when entered (wearing the noose and covered in gravel)
Refuses to show police his phone
Injuries are less then originally reported.

Fox

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:19 pm
The whole concept of "hate crimes" is problematic. In many cases, there is no real way to distinguish whether "hate" was the actual motive or if the perpetrator had some other motive and simply latched onto race/orientation/religion as a convenient insult.

One problem identified with "hate crime" designations is that such a label can dumb down more complex situations and actually mask and distort genuine issues and problems.

The murder of Matthew Shepard in 1998 prompted much of the hate crime legislation we now have. Shepard was allegedly targeted because he was gay. However, subsequent investigation showed that his murder was prompted not by anti-gay animus but by a drug deal/robbery. In fact, one of his murderers had been romantically involved with him periodically.

Various LGBT activists have since pointed out that reducing Shepard's murder to a hate crime avoids dealing with the messier realities of his life -- and avoids discussing the common victimization of young men within the gay community.

Another problem with hate crime designations is that they create a false picture of society that is both divisive and misleading.

The fact is that the U.S. has made remarkable strides toward eradicating racism, religious bias, and s-xual orientation. Virtually every measurement confirms this. But when crimes are mistakenly labeled as hate crimes, it creates the impression that society is far more intolerant and unjust than it really is.

Let's say that Smollett's assault happened precisely as he described. If it was the work of a deranged fan or the result of a previous altercation, the immediate rush to call it a hate crime only made racial minorities and LGBT people feel less safe -- even if there's no actual reason for them to feel so. And if Smollett engaged in either deliberate falsehood or omission, he abetted an attempt to make people feel less safe.

And, really, one of the most racist, sexist, anti-LGBT actions you can take is to convince people in those groups that they are hated more than they really are. Hating someone because of race, etc., is a terrible thing. Convincing someone erroneously that he is widely hated is both terrible and cynical.

amother

Smokey

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:26 pm
amother wrote:
2 am
-20 degree weather
2 white rednecks hanging around with a noose and bleach (or chemical substance or white powder) waiting to ambush someone
Waited 1 hour to call police while wearing the noose
Didn’t say anything To doorman when entered (wearing the noose and covered in gravel)
Refuses to show police his phone
Injuries are less then originally reported.

Add to this that there is surveillance video of him with only a 60 second gap, after which he is seen going into the lobby, past the doorman, with a noose.

Fox

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
2 white rednecks hanging around . . .

This is not to pick on Pearl Amother, who was simply quoting news reports.

However, I suggest that we develop some sensitivity to the word "redneck."

Despite the fact that it is commonly used, it derives from prejudice and hatred of Scots Irish Presbyterians who were forced to emigrate from Scotland and Ireland. Of course, many people claim ownership of the word for comedic effect, but it's probably not a word Jews should use.

And, for that matter, Smollett's neighbor shouldn't have used it either. Saying that someone "looks like a redneck" is the equivalent of saying a black man "looks like a thug." It's a type of racism/classism that isn't quite as overt, but still relies on demeaning stereotypes.

It's sad that the neighbor's description was reported without any comment on her language.

Water Stones

Post  Thu, Jan 31 2019, 9:29 pm
Something sound off.

ectomorph

Post  Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:57 pm
Now comes out that there are only 60 seconds of footage that we don't see. and through all those 60 seconds he held his Subway sandwich and his phone and doesn't appear to be harmed at the end of it.

Also the noose appears to be freshly bought clothes line from a nearby store

imasoftov

Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 8:01 am
ectomorph wrote:
Also the noose appears to be freshly bought clothes line from a nearby store

You don't include a link how was that determined? Also how is it relevant if the store is nearby unless there's a photo or a witness to its purchase?

If I was going to put a noose around someone's neck, I suppose whatever rope I could get from a nearby store is what I would use, too, if the general store was out of pretied nooses. It's also what I would do if I wanted to pretend someone else did that to me, so I don't see how it helps tell what happened, one way or the other.

mommy3b2c

Post  Fri, Feb 08 2019, 8:08 am
Fox wrote:
This is not to pick on Pearl Amother, who was simply quoting news reports.

However, I suggest that we develop some sensitivity to the word "redneck."

Despite the fact that it is commonly used, it derives from prejudice and hatred of Scots Irish Presbyterians who were forced to emigrate from Scotland and Ireland. Of course, many people claim ownership of the word for comedic effect, but it's probably not a word Jews should use.

And, for that matter, Smollett's neighbor shouldn't have used it either. Saying that someone "looks like a redneck" is the equivalent of saying a black man "looks like a thug." It's a type of racism/classism that isn't quite as overt, but still relies on demeaning stereotypes.

It's sad that the neighbor's description was reported without any comment on her language.

Besides for which, “rednecker” can sound a lot like “redni****” when repeatedly sung by a three year old. Something I unfortunately have firsthand experience with. 🤦‍♀️

Rubber Ducky

Post  Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:54 pm
Looking more and more like a hoax...

Fox32 Chicago: "Sources: Jussie Smollett paid brothers to fake attack"
http://www.fox32chicago.com/ne.....ake-attack

CNN: "Police sources: New evidence suggests Jussie Smollett orchestrated attack"
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/16.....index.html

amother

Wine

Post  Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:09 pm
yes now the media is reporting it is a hoax

malki2

Post  Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:54 pm
amother wrote:
Jussie Smollett, an actor whose father is Jewish and mother African American Christian, was hospitalized after being attacked by two men who brutally beat him, poured an unknown chemical (which some cites identify as bleach) on him, wrapped a rope around his neck, and told him, "This is MAGA country."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/a.....9227d5425a

Latest update: this was a hoax. The guy made it up completely.

DrMom

Post  Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:07 am
Well if this does turn out to be a hoax (it certainly seems that way now), I hope Smollet gets jail time for wasting police resources and creating hysteria.

I guess some people feel they must be victims, and if nobody is victimizing them, they'll invent a situation.

DrMom

Post  Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:58 am
I wonder if Kamala Harris and AOC and Maxine Waters and Nancy Pelosi will apologize for jumping to conclusions (and in the process, often smearing Trump and his supporters).

I'll not hold my breath, TYVM.

Fox

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:33 am
All hoax-related charges are being dropped by the SA who had previously intended to recuse herself. Court records will be sealed. CPD said to be livid.

Should this news be posted here or in the Mueller thread?

There is the real world, and then there is Chicago.

ectomorph

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:39 am
Fox wrote:
All hoax-related charges are being dropped by the SA who had previously intended to recuse herself. Court records will be sealed. CPD said to be livid.

Should this news be posted here or in the Mueller thread?

There is the real world, and then there is Chicago.

isn't her last name Fox? Jokes aside everyone seems stunned. Open corruption

Fox

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 11:46 am
ectomorph wrote:
isn't her last name Fox? Jokes aside everyone seems stunned. Open corruption

It's Foxx -- we're not related. 😁

ectomorph

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:46 pm
We have the receipts and a copy of the check he used to pay the actors to attack him. We have video of the people he paid buying the red hats. I hope everyone who posted in the first two pages of the thread is busy apologizing to Fox right around now.

allthingsblue

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 1:59 pm
ectomorph wrote:
We have the receipts and a copy of the check he used to pay the actors to attack him. We have video of the people he paid buying the red hats. I hope everyone who posted in the first two pages of the thread is busy apologizing to Fox right around now.

Today?
After they dropped all charges?

ectomorph

Post  Tue, Mar 26 2019, 2:17 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Today?
After they dropped all charges?
yup. The whole situation is a travesty. Even Rahm Emanuel is complaining about the miscarriage of justice.

And George Soros donated 420k to Foxx's election
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 3 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h