Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Looking for good mesivta
1  2  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 12:52 pm
Anyone know boys HS in NY , NJ area even dorm? Litvish/heimish/chassidish mix with lots of time for sports and english department

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:12 pm
Check out Heichal Ha Torah in Teaneck, not so much of a chasidism mix, but everything else that you mentioned. Excellent all around school, great rebbiem.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 1:44 pm
Look into Yeshiva Yesodei HaChaim in S.I., run by R' Zalmen Lifshitz.

718-336-5647

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:07 pm
Thank you. I looked it up, there is a Yeshiva of Stten Island with a baseball field is that a good one? Also, is tuition a fortune or a normal 4- 5000 a year

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you. I looked it up, there is a Yeshiva of Stten Island with a baseball field is that a good one? Also, is tuition a fortune or a normal 4- 5000 a year

No, it's a small mesivta with mostly heimish/chasidish boys.

It's located in the Young Israel of SI building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSLcm1M4yUU

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
No, it's a small mesivta with mostly heimish/chasidish boys.

It's located in the Young Israel of SI building.

Do they have a gym? Or a place to play any ball? Do they take English tests? It's not the same Yeshiva of Staten in Pleasant Plains I see. Is it new? I heard the Yeshiva of Staten has a whole campus. Do chassidishe boys go there too at all? Or is it more like Teaneck?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
Do they have a gym? Or a place to play any ball? Do they take English tests? It's not the same Yeshiva of Staten in Pleasant Plains I see. Is it new? I heard the Yeshiva of Staten has a whole campus. Do chassidishe boys go there too at all? Or is it more like Teaneck?

They take regents. They don't have a gym room-I believe they play outdoors.

I added a YouTube link to my previous post-you'll hear the yeshiva is pretty new-5 years old.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know boys HS in NY , NJ area even dorm? Litvish/heimish/chassidish mix with lots of time for sports and english department

Chaim Berlin is great. The hanhala told us they believe in giving the boys their relaxation time, encourage sports (they play basketball in Yeshiva, even after hours and motzei Shabbos), and have a great attitude about balancing learning hours with enough down time. They have a gym. English dept is serious and they enforce the rules as far as having to pass everything, do well on regents, etc. The boys are very welcoming and down to earth...love it, love it, love it!

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:

I don't have a mesivta for you, but I don't think you're being realistic about tuition. A mesivta that has everything you're asking for, with nice recreation facilities, a respectable English department, AND a dorm, is going to charge a LOT more than $5000 a year. You may be able to get a scholarship based on need, but no place can survive and offer the things you're looking for on so little income.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Chaim Berlin is great. The hanhala told us they believe in giving the boys their relaxation time, encourage sports (they play basketball in Yeshiva, even after hours and motzei Shabbos), and have a great attitude about balancing learning hours with enough down time. They have a gym. English dept is serious and they enforce the rules as far as having to pass everything, do well on regents, etc. The boys are very welcoming and down to earth...love it, love it, love it!

But isn't it litvish?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 3:28 pm
Have you looked into Veretzky?
They may have some boys from Heimish/Chasidish homes.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:17 pm
Veretzky definitely has a nice mix of heimish/chasidish/litvish, with English and recreation, but it's a fairly well-off crowd, and tuition won't be cheap. There's also no dorm.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:21 pm
doctorima wrote:
Veretzky definitely has a nice mix of heimish/chasidish/litvish, with English and recreation, but it's a fairly well-off crowd, and tuition won't be cheap. There's also no dorm.

I understood from the OP that dorming was not a requirement?

I assume OP is Chasidish if she is expecting tuition to be less than $10,000.

What about Chasan Sofer? They have an English department, I'm not sure if they play sports there, maybe someone else can comment on that?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:42 pm
Of course you won't find a mesivta that fits all your criteria. However, my oldest DS went to Mesivta Maamar Mordechai which is the highschool of Yeshiva Degel Hatorah in Monsey. Rabbi Schwab is the Rosh Yeshiva.
My DS went to a Chasidish elementary school and went to this mesivta for highschool. He integrated very well. The highschool has a secular studies program and they take regents. I heard that this year there are quite a few Chasidish boys there but when my DS was there he was the only one in his class that had any Chasidish background. We were told that if we send there we should not expect him to come out Chasidish and indeed they were right. We didn't have any problem with that. The boys play basket ball outdoors in the basketball court on the schools property. They don't have an official gym or anything.
Tuition is about $11k or so but they work nicely with the parent body.
I only have good things to say about that school. My DS didn't stay for 12th grade. They also finish secular studies in 11th grade and 12th grade is only lemudei kodesh.
The boys are expected to wear a white shirt and suit to school daily to school.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
I understood from the OP that dorming was not a requirement?

I assume OP is Chasidish if she is expecting tuition to be less than $10,000.

What about Chasan Sofer? They have an English department, I'm not sure if they play sports there, maybe someone else can comment on that?

Anyone know about sports in Chasan Sofer?

Also,
Can a chassidish boy fit in with Yeshivish boys in a litvish yeshiva?

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:13 pm
Does Chasan Sofer have a high school, or is it only an elementary school? How chassidish is the boy?

Now that I think about it, if you want a heimishe place with solid English and great learning, plus a gym and basketball, Novominsk is amazing, but good luck getting in.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:28 pm
doctorima wrote:
Does Chasan Sofer have a high school, or is it only an elementary school? How chassidish is the boy?

Now that I think about it, if you want a heimishe place with solid English and great learning, plus a gym and basketball, Novominsk is amazing, but good luck getting in.

Yes, Chasan Sofer has a HS.

There is also Vyalipol, if you could get accepted there. The learning level is very intense there-similar to Novominsk.
Does your son wear Chasidish levush? They don’t like to accept Chasidish boys.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone know about sports in Chasan Sofer?

Also,
Can a chassidish boy fit in with Yeshivish boys in a litvish yeshiva?

I would say it depends on your son and his personality.

Does he speak English well?
Does he have good self-esteem, and does he acclimate well to new social environments?
Is he flexible-would he change to non-Chasidish levush?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 3:03 am
amother wrote:
They take regents. They don't have a gym room-I believe they play outdoors.

I added a YouTube link to my previous post-you'll hear the yeshiva is pretty new-5 years old.

I looked it up but it seems the learning part is not strong. I don't want a Yeshiva that's hard to get accepted. The levush is chasidish, but not ultra. Short suit. Payos away from face. Hat is not the bend-down kind, though, and beketche on shabbos

professor

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:19 am
amother wrote:
Yes, Chasan Sofer has a HS.

There is also Vyalipol, if you could get accepted there. The learning level is very intense there-similar to Novominsk.
Does your son wear Chasidish levush? They don’t like to accept Chasidish boys.

Who doesn't like to accept chassidishe boys? Punch never heard of that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children