Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Brrrrrrr!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

esuss

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 6:46 pm
Coke Slurpee wrote:
I'm in Chicago. Hibernating inside, but my husband had no problem going out for minyan.

The nutty part of this Chicago weather is that Sunday is a high of 51° and we will go outside wearing just sweatshirts thinking it's so warm!

Lol that is a temperature jump of 70
degrees!!

yksraya

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:09 pm
Brrrr, was cold the past few days, but now it's 3 F here and feels much much colder then that bec it's windy.

nchr

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Where's that global warming when you need it?

It was horrible! I needed a light sweater today! Surprised

People in Australia are probably having a barbeque on the beach right about now.

I guess you were joking. But this cold weather is actually caused by warmer weather patterns in the arctic pushing colder weather down to the US, etc. Its supposed to be very cold for the next few weeks because of this pattern.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:16 pm
princessleah wrote:
FYI, this IS due to global warming, due to temperatures getting warmer in the arctic, glaciers melting, etc., but I won't bore you with science

Yes. The more accurate term is climate change. And one of its effects is the extreme temperatures were seeing now. It’s really crazy...

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:24 pm
Than, not then.

Can’t believe I’m the first person to point this out! Am I the only one with this pet peeve?

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:26 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Than, not then.

Can’t believe I’m the first person to point this out! Am I the only one with this pet peeve?

Normally, yes, but our poor hands are too cold to type accurately, so autocorrect has run amok!

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 30 2019, 8:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Where's that global warming when you need it?

It was horrible! I needed a light sweater today! Surprised

People in Australia are probably having a barbeque on the beach right about now.

I realize that your remark about global warning was just off the cuff and not to be taken seriously but the current polar vortex is actually a manifestation of global warming.

Here's an article from Forbes (hardly a left wing fringe media source) which explains why what appears to be a paradox is connected to global warning.

We are the first generation to feel the effects of global warming and we are also the last generation that can actually do something to mitigate the damage it causes.

The whole article is here

https://www.forbes.com/sites/s.....6d8cf

But here is a brief explanation from the article

But how is global warming to blame?

The answer is simple: because the phenomenon that causes the polar vortex to break down is known as sudden stratospheric warming, where the upper layers of the atmosphere increase in temperature by approximately 30–50 °C (54–90 °F) over the span of only a few days. The fact that there are land masses located where they are in the northern hemisphere means that as those land temperatures increase, they transport their heat to even more northern latitudes.

The exact details of how this works are complex, but the explanation is simple: warmer land temperatures, particularly in northern North America and northern Eurasia, allow more heat to be transported into the Arctic stratosphere. A warmer Earth makes sudden stratospheric warming events more likely and more frequent. And those events destabilize the polar vortex, bring cold air down into the mid-latitudes, and cause the extreme weather we're experiencing right now.

As the Earth continues to warm, there will be reduced snow cover and less sea ice in these critical regions, which alters the pressure and temperature gradients of the regions at the boundary of the polar vortex. In extreme cases, the polar vortex weakens or collapses as a result. The migration of the jet stream is one of the first signs, and it has become an all-too-frequent phenomenon in recent years.

The enormous cold snap we experienced in 2014 wasn't a one-off event. Although for many, that storm was so memorable it feels like it was only yesterday, we can absolutely expect these types of extreme weather events to become commonplace in the coming years. The climate is changing, and it's affecting our weather in a variety of ways all across the globe.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 1:16 am
G-d makes the weather. Forecasters sometimes get it wrong.

Actually it reached 40C where I am today and it is still at about 39C.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:40 am
Coke Slurpee wrote:
I'm in Chicago. Hibernating inside, but my husband had no problem going out for minyan.

The nutty part of this Chicago weather is that Sunday is a high of 51° and we will go outside wearing just sweatshirts thinking it's so warm!

You need to change your name its too cold for slurpees. Maybe hot chocolate?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:50 am
Well its 37 degrees (Fahrenheit) where I live in Israel. Not frigid like in north america, but definitely coat weather.
Ill take the cold any day over heat.

Mayflower

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 4:53 am
It's around 0°C here, which is already cold to me.

My brain has trouble processing the idea of -30°C. I have no idea what that would feel like, but I'm guessing pretty horribly cold. Hope you can all stay inside till it's over.

happy12

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:31 am
4 degrees in Brooklyn and my heats down so 50 degrees in most rooms and 36 degrees in my kitchen. I hope the plumber comes soon.

momX4

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:34 am
happy12 wrote:
4 degrees in Brooklyn and my heats down so 50 degrees in most rooms and 36 degrees in my kitchen. I hope the plumber comes soon.

Call chaverim and see if you can get some plug in heaters.

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:35 am
Happy12, hope your pipes won't burst! I am in middle of a long road because my pipes burst and I cant live at home. Its 4 degrees here!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 7:38 am
Raisin wrote:
You need to change your name its too cold for slurpees. Maybe hot chocolate?

Well it’s 4 degrees now in Lakewood NJ with a wind chill factor of -13!! My kids just asked me if we could stop for slurpees on the way to school!!!!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:08 am
-4. Real feel -21!

My father flew off to the UK Last night. In asked him if he's running away from the cold LOL

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:24 am
Everyone put on heaters!

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:36 am
They might cancel school for the 3-4 year olds here. Need to check back in 10 minutes. I'm in NY

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:44 am
They didn't in nj and my 7 year old started crying going outside....

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:51 am
Bh my kids busses are doing house stops today so everyone can wait inside.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics