Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
What’s your business
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 5:08 am
Do you work at home?

What’s your home business?

I know there are many creative and adventurous imamothers.

Let’s hear all about your business and how you got involved in it!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:15 am
Legal 2 yr old playgroup. 12 kids, me, 2 assistants. Where I live childcare costs upwards to $8 an hour. I work a 37 hour week. I started doing this because I realized I can be making more staying home with my little ones than using my Masters degree. Go figure.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 8:20 am
I'm a sheitel macher. Most of the time it's the ultimate career. Occasionally you'll have a miserable customer who will ruin ur mood for a week or 2. Usually thou if your reasonable people are reasonable back ...

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 31 2019, 11:18 am
Translation tutoring teaching...

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 3:59 am
Orchid I pay close to 300 dollars a week for my child’s daycare. I get that. But is it as fulfilling as a career in your field?

Thanks everyone for responding.
Would love to hear from more people!

e1234

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:31 am
I have a web development company - -doing website design and programming including custom programs.

I learned programming in college over 20 years ago. I have been working for freelance for 15 years. I have 1 part time worker now as well.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:49 am
And here I thought you were frustrated by people's nosiness and angrily asking, "What's it your business?!"

I wonder what that says about me.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
Legal 2 yr old playgroup. 12 kids, me, 2 assistants. Where I live childcare costs upwards to $8 an hour. I work a 37 hour week. I started doing this because I realized I can be making more staying home with my little ones than using my Masters degree. Go figure.

Wow.. I just did the math... I’m figuring with paying each assistant $400 a week and shutting down the playgroup for the summer, you can still earn more than 90,000 a year!

How much does it cost to make it legal?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 6:35 am
amother wrote:
And here I thought you were frustrated by people's nosiness and angrily asking, "What's it your business?!"

I wonder what that says about me.

LOL
Means you’ve been on Imamother too long

For many working is a big part of our lives and I wanted to hear about others.

Totally friendly.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 7:57 am
I design and sell children’s clothes.

I run a boys basketball league program.

pause

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
Wow.. I just did the math... I’m figuring with paying each assistant $400 a week and shutting down the playgroup for the summer, you can still earn more than 90,000 a year!

How much does it cost to make it legal?

I don't think a legal playgroup can shut down for the summer.

And you didn't calculate other expenses such as renting a place (with all the legal qualifications), food expenses, supplies, toy replacement, annual course fees for herself and her assistant. The paperwork is also a hassle that must get taken care of after-hours.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:21 am
pause wrote:

And you didn't calculate other expenses such as renting a place (with all the legal qualifications), food expenses, supplies, toy replacement, annual course fees for herself and her assistant. The paperwork is also a hassle that must get taken care of after-hours.

If she’s not closing for the summer, she might be earning well over $100,000 a year! She said she’s working from home so she’s not renting.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
Orchid I pay close to 300 dollars a week for my child’s daycare. I get that. But is it as fulfilling as a career in your field?

Thanks everyone for responding.
Would love to hear from more people!

1. It's surprisingly more fullfilling than you think!! 2. I get to stay home with my kids 0-3 which basically makes everything worth it for me Smile
3. My husband can keep his klei kodesh job which is important to both of us.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 8:28 am
pause wrote:

Not sure where you got the information about the summer. I'm allowed to make my schedule however I want.
I do it in my house which I'm paying for anyways. Also it's an LLC so many of my living expenses become business expenses.
The government pays for food (and I'm allowed to pocket the leftovers).
Yes upkeep/fees can cost a little but really really not so much (a couple thousand a year on average maybe...)
My husband takes care of a lot of the legal things. Not going to say it's not a hock but definitely not impossible! The scariest thing about my job is when the inspectors come!!! I want to cry!!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
Not sure where you got the information about the summer. I'm allowed to make my schedule however I want.
I do it in my house which I'm paying for anyways. Also it's an LLC so many of my living expenses become business expenses.
Yes upkeep/fees can cost a little but really really not so much (a couple thousand a year on average maybe...)
My husband takes care of a lot of the legal things. Not going to say it's not a hock but definitely not impossible! The scariest thing about my job is when the inspectors come!!! I want to cry!!

Just curious how much do you actually take home per year at the end and do u work summers?

pause

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:26 am
amother wrote:

Maybe you're in a different state. Maybe your home satisfies all the specific qualifications to be a legal daycare center. For many people that wouldn't work.

I didn't know that food is paid for by the government. Which program is that?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 10:38 am
pause wrote:
Maybe you're in a different state. Maybe your home satisfies all the specific qualifications to be a legal daycare center. For many people that wouldn't work.

Not the daycare poster.. but I wanted to say that I once took a course on how to run a legal daycare in NY. I remember that there had to be two exits in the room, a bathroom on the floor and depending on which state often it’s one snack a day (sometimes more, sometimes nothing). If food is provided, the government reimburses for that. Once receiving government funding, they have the right to schedule inspections!

crust

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:47 pm
pause wrote:

Montreal?

pause

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
Not the daycare poster.. but I wanted to say that I once took a course on how to run a legal daycare in NY. I remember that there had to be two exits in the room, a bathroom on the floor and depending on which state often it’s one snack a day (sometimes more, sometimes nothing). If food is provided, the government reimburses for that. Once receiving government funding, they have the right to schedule inspections!

Right.
I don't know how many apartments and even houses have two exits.

They also come down to check that there is a safe outdoor play area, I remember something about testing the water supply.

Interesting about the reimbursement. I didn't know it exists.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Feb 01 2019, 2:05 pm
crust wrote:
Montreal?

Not Montreal - she's operating as an LLC.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers